ghillie suit

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by cab_4188, Jan 28, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. id like to find out either the best and hopefully the easyst way to make a ghillie suit , or if possible if someone knows the best place to buy one

2. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Try www.outdoorsman.co.uk

They've got some for £100.00, pre-made out of lightweight, fire-retardent material, but they aren't listed on the site.

Alternatively, you can make your own. Simplest way would be to get S95 top and bottoms (lightweight), sew on some green nylon netting, buy some green, brown and black jute chord and tie it on to the net.

The same applies for making the hat - don't use a hood.

If you want to do it on the cheap, and want everyone within a 50 mile radius to smell you (even if they can't see you), use hessian strips.

3. In the past I used an Old Para Smock (and to think i had'nt done P-Coy,but that's another thread !) :) I used Hessian like the Giza before Me stated and i found the best way to stick it to the jacket was by Glue Gun (Hot Glue) ! Then afterward's do the whole leaving in a Muddy Puddle and out in all Weather's thing...Oh and don't forget to stick some padding in for the elbow's...

4. chears for that guys, why not using a hood though? when glueing the stuff on did you put it on in like rows or just random spots? you serious about the whole muddy puddle thing if so how long you do that for, il take the padding out of my under armour shirt.

5. Old Combats size large from wherever you can get them cheap/free.

Sand bags and other crap. Not the best but its all free.

Oh and glue.

6. Avoid sandbags like the plague. There have been some very nasty accidents with people getting very badly burnt using sandbags.

7. Yeah but I told them time and time again. Not for use on OP FRESCO!

:D

8. Cutting up a roll mat, and sewing them into the arms of the combat jacket should work ok.

9. Why not buy the ghillie shroud? you could get the burlap and glue it on, that way you also have the folage loops/elastic on it already. This shroud is very lightweight, a jacket is heavy! also when rolled up it takes little space.

10. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Because like all hoods, they flop about and either sit too far back on the head, or fall forwards and cover your eyes because of your position. With a hat, you can have a tight head fit and move for the best position. A hood, heavy with burlap/hessian or whatever, only held in place by a 'hinge' at the neck would be a nightmare.

Absolutely. There's no better camouflage that scrim material for ghilly suits that has been 'weathered' by dragging yourself through shite. On top of this, if it's hessian strips you are using, then having it dragged around through undergrowth and shite opens up the fibres, curls them and otherwise breaks up the pattern still further.

You've only got to compare an unused ghillie suit to one that has been 'weathered' and you see a remarkable difference in the quality of camouflage provided. With hessian, it might also go some way to getting rid of the ever-so telling smell.

That possibly won't be enough. Either get yourself a sniper smock to wear under the suit (with attendant padding), or do as suggested with the rollmat. The padding is far thicker and you will really appreciate it after crawling over rocks and stones for some distance.

Edited to add: Not sure on the glue thing. Personally, I'd tie your material to a net. If you go on consecutive field ops (during which the scrim invariably gets ripped off in places), you won't have access to a gluegun and/or glue with which to replace the material. Also, if you've made a ghillie suit using the net method, you can quickly add better colouring if, say you've got a woodland suit and you find you're doing ops in a field of corn.

Good point made about the ghillie shroud as opposed to a suit. In warmer weather, you might be glad of the air gaps provided by a shroud, and of course you can do more things with a shroud, like hanging it from objects above you.

11. so basing it on a sniper smock or a para smock would be best then, by shrouddo you mean kind of a cloak?

and the netting bit is the following link the kind of dea you mean and the way of ataching it?

12. If you make your own, stick it in the washing machine, this will fray all of the strips of jute/hessian/sandbag/green towels the mother in law gave you for a wedding present etc, but be prepared to be picking loose strands of material out of your washing machine for weeks after!

13. il give that a go once i start it, il just have to go and use my nans machine then

14. What I mean about a shroud is like this ghillie vest from Web-tex (I don't normally endorse Web-tex, as they are shite). With this vest it's lightweight (especially in warm climates), easy to store, compact when rolled and has foliage loops provided.

http://www.patrolstore.com/Web-Tex-Concealment-Vest-(Ghillie-Suit-Sniper-Suit)-p-970.html

To better the burlap and get that worn 'fluffier, worn' look, take a wire brush to it before weathering it!