Getting utterly shitfaced in Cromwell's Army

That wasn't Leconfield circa 1980 was it?
No, Westdown Camp on SPTA c1986 and on several occasions between then and 2011!!!

I've known 2 blokes who were in the Sealed Knot. Both complete and utter knob ends.

I don’t know about Cromwell s army but I recon Wellington s army was pretty pissed too. Them musket s were more accurate than we thought - they just couldn’t see!

A Soldier's Daily Ration

The daily rations issued to each soldier in the British Army during the Napoleonic Wars were as follows:
1½ lbs Bread or Flour, or 1 lb of Ship’s Biscuit
1 lb Beef, or ½ lb Pork
¼ pint Dried Peas
1 oz Cheese or Butter
1 oz Rice
5 pints Small Beer, or 1 pint Wine, or ½ pint Spirits
And on campaign, all things being equal, logistics favoured the half pint of spirits as a damned sight easier / less costly to transport than five pints of small beer. The big issue, of course, was sourcing anything at all in sufficient quantities to issue.

Admiral Vernon's (Old Grog) great contribution to the RN was to switch naval liquid rations from small beer to watered down rum, as one of the big limits on naval endurance was how long before the beer went off. Helped turn the RN from an Atlantic/western Med force into one with true global reach.

One of my bosses in the army used to do the sealed knot thing - started out as a pike man, made it up to musket man. He was handed a copy of some kind of drill manual from back in Cromwells day and never looked back, his pace stick quivered at the opportunity to escape from the cupboard in the spare room.

He used to take us along to some of their quaffing training sessions, fcek me could they put it away at night. Then next day on the 'pretend' battlefield they would kick 7 bales out of each other to work off the hangovers.
When I worked for the cops in firearms licencing, we did black powder tickets for the Sealed Knot.

Around the office we referred to them as "the Paramilitary wing of CAMRA".

When I worked for the cops in firearms licencing, we did black powder tickets for the Sealed Knot.

You're probably right, most of them seemed to have their own personal pewter tankard along with a collection of rustic weaponry wherever they went.

About 40 years ago we managed to drink all 3 pubs in Tisbury dry on Day 1. The sight of re-supply wagons on Sunday morning was a cause for much celebration.

Having read the whole of the original link, clear that the heroic Eyre was no longer serving, but had returned to his farming. Whether his comrade in crime was also serving, or a former Corporal instead must also be questionable instead.

Also the question as to the regiment or regiments in which they had served. Some Parliamentarian regiments were composed of reasonably sane, country chaps not averse to fun in moderation. Others - the Eastern Association were particularly bad in this regard, especially Cromwell's own bigoted thugs - as the worst type of Taliban killjoys, up there with the Covenanters for holier than thou morality. Interesting that this particular pub crawl ended up in a hostelry in Bradford, a notoriously Puritan shithole, though not as bad as the extremely intolerant religious nutters of Bolton.

You're probably right, most of them seemed to have their own personal pewter tankard along with a collection of rustic weaponry wherever they went.
I was a member of a Viking Reenactment group, NFPS, I had a drinking horn just under two pints..
Quite a few times I got away with claiming it only held a pint.....

Having read the whole of the original link, clear that the heroic Eyre was no longer serving, but had returned to his farming. Whether his comrade in crime was also serving, or a former Corporal instead must also be questionable instead.

Also the question as to the regiment or regiments in which they had served. Some Parliamentarian regiments were composed of reasonably sane, country chaps not averse to fun in moderation. Others - the Eastern Association were particularly bad in this regard, especially Cromwell's own bigoted thugs - as the worst type of Taliban killjoys, up there with the Covenanters for holier than thou morality. Interesting that this particular pub crawl ended up in a hostelry in Bradford, a notoriously Puritan shithole, though not as bad as the extremely intolerant religious nutters of Bolton.
Which they paid for dearly.

Small beer was less than 2% alcohol. It's what is brewed from the spent grain of the proper brew, but is healthier than water because it has been boiled. .
During one of London's many 19th century Cholera epidemics a doctor noted that none of the workers in a brewery in the affected area contracted cholera. The reason of course was that they were drinking their own product rather than the local (literally) sh1tty water.

That's the one! Made my UOTC days a misery you did, piss wet kit on every parade.
Look upon it as character building!

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk