Getting ugly in Kenya

Notice the downplaying of the Islamist or fundamentalist Jihadist part and calling them ‘militants’ or Somali militants...

Almost makes them sound pleasant.
Can't say I noticed that, I've only seen three news reports and each mentioned al shabab.

The BBC 10pm news mentioned 'Somali Islamist group Al Shabab' twice, also mentioned there had been a lull for a few years and Al Shabab attacks had been limited.
Three mentions of Al Shabab in a short news item isn't too bad, especially as the op is still on going.

Last edited:

SauceDoctor

On ROPS
On ROPs
Can't say I noticed that, I've only seen three news reports and each mentioned al shabab.

The BBC 10pm news mentioned 'Somali Islamist group Al Shabab' twice, also mentioned there had been a lull for a few years and Al Shabab attacks had been limited.
Three mentions of Al Shabab in a short news item isn't too bad, especially as the op is still on going.
ITV termed the perps as Islamic Extremists. Also reporting that a rescue worker had lost count of the number of bodies.

ITV termed the perps as Islamic Extremists. Also reporting that a rescue worker had lost count of the number of bodies.
So both the BBC and ITV stating Islamist, extremist or an actual group name check.
The sad part for me is that there are some people who it seems would prefer the news agencies not to name or label these groups so that they can then moan the groups haven't been named!

Not another one, a bit of a shame really if it wasn't for all the ROPers they could have a vibrant tourist industry
Brenda from Bristol walt!

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
The coffee is good and the scenery.
And the weather. As @lokiuk said it would have a great tourist industry if it wasn’t for all this terrorism. Such a shame having been luckily enough to go to Kenya twice whilst in the army I had one R and R at Lake Naivasha and a few years later I went to Mombasa, or was it the other way around?
Any way I would have loved to have taken my family to Kenya on safari and then a week in Mombasa but I wouldn’t go any where near the place in this day and age.
The country must be missing out on billions.

Kenyan forces kill all militants who stormed Nairobi hotel - president | Reuters
All of the al Shabab (4) members are reported as killed. 14 civilians so far reported as killed:
Uhuru Kenyatta said 14 civilians were confirmed dead and over 700 others had been safely evacuated.

The attack on the dusitD2 hotel began shortly after 3 p.m. on Tuesday with an explosion in the parking lot and then a suicide bomb blast in the foyer, police said.

Somali militant Islamist group al Shabaab claimed responsibility for the attack.

At least two groups of people had still been trapped inside as dawn broke, and gunfire continued to ring out around the complex in Riverside Drive.

An earlier estimate put the death toll at 15

Eleven Kenyans, an American and a Briton were among the casualties, morgue staff said. Two victims had not been identified.
Both Reuters and Sky are reporting a Brit amongst the dead: All terrorists 'eliminated' in Nairobi hotel shootout

I too have been on exercise in Kenya and had nights out in Nairobi, plus the obvious Nanyuki nights out. Enjoyable time and seeing the wildlife impressive.

Last edited:
Kenya is one of the more stable and reasonable African countries.

Al Shabab the usual toxic nihilistic Islamic Jihadist poisonous terrorist organisations that blight the world.

Kenyan forces kill all militants who stormed Nairobi hotel - president | Reuters
All of the al Shabab (4) members are reported as killed. 14 civilians so far reported as killed:

Both Reuters and Sky are reporting a Brit amongst the dead: All terrorists 'eliminated' in Nairobi hotel shootout

I too have been on exercise in Kenya and had nights out in Nairobi, plus the obvious Nanyuki nights out. Enjoyable time and seeing the wildlife impressive.
This wasn't you was it?
Who was the SAS soldier with pirate badge pictured at scene of Nairobi terrorist attack?

Sounds like they have something worth supporting them.
We do: Africa
Tackling terrorism
The UK is helping to build the capacity of partner nations, both those directly affected by security threats and those able to play a leadership role in the continent to strengthen stability.

I was in Nairobi on a six month contract four years ago, working in that very compound. It always struck me as a terrorist incident waiting to happen as it had only one vehicle access and a small pedestrian egress at the rear. Basically once you were in, you were trapped. And the usual half hearted vehicle and foxtrot security check at the entrance.