Getting time off for camp / courses (that old chestnut)

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Ranger, Jul 3, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Does anyone else in here agree that its time HMG legislated in favour of employers being compelled to release reservists for (genuine) camp / courses?
    After all what's the point of telling your employer about your weekend activities since they clearly don't give a stuff and are all to keen to sack you at the first possible moment.
    Also I think it would stop them paying lip service to the "supportive employer" bollox that keeps doing the rounds.

Fortitudine vincimus
  2. Picture the job interview: its down to the last two candidates - you and some other geezer and you are both equally qualified and able to do the job: everything, in fact, is identicle.

The question is asked - "Are either of you in the Reserve Forces?"

3. Even more so when it comes down to promotion etc.

Many years ago my manager put on my annual report "Appears more interested in the TA than his work". My response was to say "Did you put on Bob's review "seems more interested in football than his work""

Needless to say the remark was removed from my report (but not from the managers mind).

Its an awkward balance, more so today when more reservists are getting called up. Managers feel threatened because your "hobby" is paid and many dislike being "compleled" to release you.

That being said when there was an issue with a clash of dates a polite letter from my CO worked wonders and I wasn't overly fussed as it wasn't a civvy job I was going to stay in long term.
  4. I'm not sure about this. I'm not happy with the way legislation works at the moment, but I'm not sure it would be right to force all employers to release people for peacetime training. I'm rather of the opinion that we are grown-ups who are capable of setting our own personal priorities - for me TA is an important and rewarding second career, so I would not apply for a civvy job which didn't have terms of service which would not dovetail conveniently with my TA career.

But I do agree with you here. It's easy for employers to claim the 'supportive employer' banner, until they actually have to release you for duty. The concept of Duty is very powerful, and it's one which I think is under-mentioned in the current government. I have a duty to my employer, but I also have a duty to my country which is served out by my membership of the TA. Apart from the fact that I would welcome the return of a national sense of duty, I would like to see employers given encouragement to associate support to members of the TA with their own duty to the country. At the moment all I see is an MOD which is trying to appease and avoid legislating (which is fair enough), but they are overlooking a vital ingredient and source of goodwill: Duty.
  5. When I joined the TA in 1975, I was told that your employer had a legal obligation to allow you two weeks (unpaid) leave in addition to you annual leave. The embuggerance was that he didn't necessarily have to allow you the time off to coincide with your unit's Annual Camp - Camps are usually in the summer, when firms are at their busiest.

Prior to Camp, you receive a "Notice to Attend Training" that you are supposed to pass to your employer. It's nicely worded to give the impression that the employer would be very helpful to allow you time off, but it also mentions that you could end up in Court if you don't attend.

The situation is explained on the following site:

"Employees who are reservists must normally make their own arrangements with their employers for time off for other purposes, such as training (eg for an annual TA camp). The Secretary of State has power (under Reserve Force Act 1966 s.22) to require reservists to attend for training but in practice this power is not exercised. Thus, in practice, there is normally no legal obligation on an employer to allow employees time off work for TA camps etc and many employers expect employees to take such time off as part of normal annual holiday entitlement."

Thus the employer is required to give time off, but if he says "NO!" the Secretary of State will say "Oh, OK then."
  6. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I've always thought that the way forward would be to ask companies that want government contract to demonstrate how many of thier employees are active reservists and how they support and promote such activities. Those that don't don't get the contracts.

Same with Government Department. Part of a 'line managers' appraisal should be 'how have you supported Reservists? With input from thier Reservists.

I accept that its a pipe dream but....
  7. ...but that would fall foul of the EU directives. After all, how many frenchmen or spaniards are members of the TA? No, definitely discriminatory.
  8. thanks for your opinions guys, sadly I think recent may well have served to crystalize opinions on this and a range of issues.
    If you any opinions or views (of a positive nature) please make them available to the MOD at