Getting the seats you want

Discussion in 'Travel' started by putteesinmyhands, Oct 21, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Self and Mrs are off on a hairyplane tomorrow. Most seats are in banks of three along the sides and in fours in the middle but there are a couple of pairs of seats near the back. What's the best way of grabbing these? Turn up as soon as check-in opens and ask the nice lady? Or is there a better way?

2. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

If it's a long flight I'd advise against sitting near the back if you have the choice.

There are two very good reasons why:

1. The back is very bumpy.

2. The back is near the bogs, you will spend the entire flight breathing in the fresh aroma of shit everytime someone opens the door. If it's privacy you're after, forget it, there will be a constant queue of ill looking people next to you.

• Like Like x 3
  3. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Theoretically, the rear rows of the aircraft give the greatest chance of surviving in a crash. I would rather take the very very slim chance of dying at the front than endure flying at the back.

If you insist, and are flying with a mainstream airline, check in on line as soon as it opens. If you are flying budget or charter, you just have to ask nicely and hope for the best.

4. Book in online?

5. Get online now and book them ...

This has all changed in the last few years, and become less civilised along the way. It used to be the case that when you bought your ticket you bought your seat. Not now. Even in business and first class they bugger you around, and even if you have some sort of loyalty scheme (in grades of precious metal...) frequently you end up next to some noisy smelly fat ****** in the noisy smelly fat ****** central reservation. If you can book online in the 24 hours prior to flight do it, but the BA system (for instance) has made me angry and angrier and most angry on many occasions in the past year or so.

People like Flybe tend to be ok, mind you, and - Surprise! - the likes of Ryanair can be very good - but only because none of their client demographic wants to fork out an extra £10 for an emergency exit seat, so if you regularly fly from/to the Canaries or wherever you get a decent amount of legroom at your seat every time.

6. You have to pay and don't ever fly pauper airlines.

• Like Like x 1
  7. For a long time I used to pick the very last row (window) on the 747, because there are only two seats in it and if you booked one of them you were very unlikely to get some farty prick next to you, and consequently probably had two seats for the price of one. You were, unfortunately, close to the bog, so when some Tanzanian opens his exhaust you were likely to experience the 'second-hand ugali and nyama choma' effect.

Nowadays I very rarely seem to fly by 747 on longhaul; Airbus is more likely. And being old, frail and picky, get my company to fork out for the front seats.

8. Paying extra for seats (a relatively recent bastard trick) is sheer gougery. The bastards should be gouged back at every possible opportunity. Steal their ******* spoons.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Good job I asked when I did. On-line check-in seems to start in about 15 minutes.

I've never bothered with checking in on-line before. What's the reason behind it - last minute confirmation that you really intend to turn up? Is there anything else I should know?

10. As far as I can make out, it's the same plane from start to finish (it has a 2 hour stop-over), so if I get the seats I want, then presumably I'll still have them for the second leg.

What happens on the return flight, though? I've a suspicion that I have to change planes. Can I pick the seats for the second leg?

11. in most cases you can (afaik) book a "priority boarding"- which means you can be the first (or amongst the firsts) who will be onboard- in that case you can simply sit on one seating and place your bag on another one having "this seat is taken, **** off" written on your face.

12. Stopover won't make any difference, and if it's the same aircraft you'll have the same seat (Singapore?). Your return flight will have the same stupidity of check-in and seat selection in the 24 hours prior to flight. Check-in online is good as it cuts out some of the BS at the airport, mind. Still have to endure security...

13. You've still got to check your luggage in, so how is there a reduction in the BS?

14. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Be careful with "priority boarding" - sometimes you pay extra to be first onto the bus which takes you to the aircraft steps. Of course, there is no guarante that you will be first off the bus!

15. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Go to luggage drop rather than check in, which can have a (much) shorter queue. You also know that you are less likely to be the victim of overbooking on flights than if you try to check in on arrival. Given the stop over, I am assuming that the benefits of travelling with hand luggage only won't be particularly relevant.