Getting the best from your REME Tradesperson

Discussion in 'REME' started by BlackHand, Jan 29, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Getting the most from your REME Tradesman .

Need a bit of kit fixing ? Here a few tips to ensure you get the best from your REME Tradesman.

Before calling for REME help, let every man and the Regimental mascot have a bash at fixing it.
    Turn all dials, switches and controls away from their normal settings.
    Ensure the equipment is covered in 3 or 4 weeks worth of grime, grease, dust or sand.
    If it is electrical - add paperclips or staples
    Don’t call for REME help until it is very, very dark.
    If it is to be left, leave a person with the equipment who has absolutely no idea about its operation or function (halitosis is a plus here).
    The moment the Tradesman arrives - ask how long it will take to fix it.
    During the repair give encouragement to the Tradesman by asking if he has a clue what he is doing.
    At irregular intervals (but no more than 5 minutes apart) ask how long the repair is going to take - an added bonus here is to have the person asking 7 steps up the promotion ladder from the Tradesman.
    Add witty and original asides like - “How hard can it be? - I fixed my toaster last week”.
    Under no circumstances thank the Tradesman when the repair is complete.
    Send a message to the Tradesman’s OC or ASM telling him that the repair took far to long.

Any more tips are more than welcome

I don't claim originallity here - first seen in the The Craftsperson circa 1988
  2. Black Hand, I hope your post has been copied onto every non-REME forum, that could bring some interesting feedbasck!
  3. The bugg*rs have got the thing memorised forwards, backwards and in chinese they follow so blo*dy well!
  4. hehe.

We at least appreciated 'reems' when my Rapier needed fixing (which was always 'cause it's a POS) the FRT crew were welcomed with tea at the least but a nice egg banjo was appreciated on occasion too.
  5. Well, interesting post there about non-REME approach to fault diagnosis.

I have found that it is never easy to get your Regiment to fully appreciate the full capability of their attached arms (or second line). However, from experience, may I suggest that you take your regiment to war, you absolutely shag the kit, get it shot at, bogged in, drowned and generally abuse the living daylights out of it. Then get the REMEs to work. Recovery under fire (indirect and direct), off of beach minefields (with nothing but luck to assist), repair whilst under heavy contact, restoration of local infrastructure to a basic level, and generally anything else including patrolling tasks, installation guard forces etc. This is to name but a few tasks carried out during the most recent play in the sand pit.

So, now, when our Regiment asks us about how long it takes, or why we rip something to pieces on an MEI, they value the advice that they are given, they respect the tradesmen that work with them and support them. Oh, and they even make the brews!
  6. I am delighted to see some REME (Royal Engineers Made Easy) seems to think that the other arms are more of a hindurance than help when it comes to fixing vehicles!

As an Armd Engr i find myself in the unenviable position of fixing my own bloody chiefy not only fixing it but replacing all the main assemblies while the FRT grin uselessly and explain "Didnt even realise these were still in service mate". Then after countless hours grafting finally signing the job off and watching the FRT drive off all smiles into the sunset (after doing sod all) the Feckin thing breaks down 10 mins down the road again (i know not your fault).

If the drivers of various veh's need educating in basic fault finding then would it not be of sound investment to educate them, bearing in mind that a basic drivers course is just that these days and they will only get the experiance they need if people teach them or failing that do what our fitter sect used to years ago and fine the tank crew a crate of blue death for every finger fault they had to fix!!!!
  7. :D

cant beat the hairy arsed engineers!! i agree sumwhat actually, i have just spent the last 4 months fixing CH.ARRV's, out of 37, only 12 had all major assy's in them and out of those 12 only 2 started/ charged. back to basics and any tradesman who is worth his salt will not shy away from Chieftain. it is a mechanics dream, but having met the new breed of recruits/ tradesman we are getting (i had SATT soldiers as manpower) we might well be in trouble soon! not willing to work, scared of oil (a pair of coveralls a day was the norm on gearboxes) and a general lack of respect. i wonder why i have signed off! oh, 3 months to push! on leave/ re settlement ill add!

are there any real mechanics left? :oops:
  8. As much as i hate to agree with a Royal Engineer. Am afraid i must. The user should be taught basic fault diagnosis, and a bit of respect to there tradesmen / women wouldn t go amis either