Getting Tax back. Any help greatly welcomed

Discussion in 'Finance, Property, Law' started by ChrisV, Jul 24, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. I'm currently a TA serving with a regular army batallion in Iraq. I was told somewhere that if I served a certain amount of time out of the country I would be eligable to get my tax back as a rebate. Is this true? Is so could anyone shed some light on it.

    Also I wrote a cheque which bounced (not sure why) and now I have to see my OC about it. What would be the most likely thing to happen?

  2. Chris,

    1. Hmm. This is an urban myth. If you were employed by anybody other than HMG, you might be able to swing the "I am employed by Widgets R Us which is based in Monaco, and I have not set foot in the UK for more than 90 days in any one calendar year". But, as you are employed by HMG, you are stuffed. In every sense of the expression. :lol:

    2. It depends on to whom the cheque was payable and your position within the organisation. The Officers' Mess and subaltern is not a good combination. Pay your debts on time and don't bounce cheques. The additional work really gets up peoples' noses! So, come up with a good explanation and keep apologising! :lol:

  3. Lits,

    The RFA are employed my HMG, albeit as an agency, and they have been tax free for years.

  4. So in other words, if you're in the army or TA then there is no way to claim your taxes back?? I will have been in the UK for approx 90 days in the last 2 years and i'm in the Army. Is there no hope to get my taxes back?
  5. There is, reportedly, a very good Inland Revenue website, with all the rules and regulations. Give it a go with your tax office and let us know how you got on.

    Or, pay an accountant who knows what he/she is doing.

  6. If you are wearing Green then forget it: you are paid by HMG and you are still "resident" in the UK in their eyes. IIRC you would have to be out of the UK for a whole year, never return for more than 180 days in any one year and no more than an average of 90 days over 4 years. You do not own or rent accommodation in your host country, nor are you putting down 'roots' (unless you are shagging your translator). You also have an intention to return to the UK (presumably).

    I do not know if anyone has brought a test case (the only way the rules can be truly tested and proved), but I would assume that any Judge would blow your argument out of the water (why do you think they call our war graves "a corner of England"?)

    If you didn't pay UK taxes, then someone will want you to pay taxes: you can get away without doing this in hot and sandy countries at the moment, but what about Germany, Norway, Belgium, Canada, etc?

    The more honest solution would be for the Treasury to declare all UK forces income tax free when deployed on operations, and for the Treasury to reaslise that the 'X' factor is a pile of shite and that Forces' salaries have fallen well below that of other state sector employees and also the private sector. But that would be honest, not something the Treasury has been able to achieve in almost 1,000 years.