Getting started with shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by ugly, Aug 21, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Now shooting sports like many others has many varied disciplines, some can cross over and many shooters like me spend a few months of each year concentrating on one sort tio move on again when the seasons change.
    If shooting interests you then MDN, Blue_Sophist, Ex_Stab and myself are the chaps to ask.
    Ask away and I'm sure we can point you in the right direction.

I run training courses for novice shots interested in deer stalking, 1 and 2 days covering law, id, range work and a live stalk or 2 thrown in. I often get enquiries from people who have never fired a rifle before so dont be daunted ask away, weve heard most of the bone ones before! :wink:

2. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

How loud is the bang it makes? :D

3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Bone questions from bone heads! Now let me get some work done!

4. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

I do a bit of clay shooting, though my GF is actually better than me. She says it's because she's ex-army and I'm an ex-crab; I say she was a QA and thus not a soldier...

I tend to stick to down-the-line, largely because I don't really understand the other stuff, so any info would be useful. I'm not desperately serious about it, though - I'd rather be rough shooting game.

I've also been invited to try Practical Pistol, which sounds very interesting, and I'm keen - but what other pistol options are there (if any)? This will be full-bore, and in NI, where handguns can still be legally held.

5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

PP is great fun and very tightly controlled safety wise. I did a few shoots with a CZ75 in the 90's. It certainly was good for honing plain clothes carry skills.

6. Been toying wth the idea of taking up rifle shootinf for quite a while, as with everything these days there seems to ba a lot of hassle involved.
    I gather that pretty much before I do anything I need to join a club, is that correct?
    I have a hankering for something a little older, perhaps a .303, is it realsistic to think I would be able to get a licence or must I start with something much smaller?

7. blue-sophist

blue-sophist LE Good Egg (charities)

Concur ... Mrs B_S and I used to have a lovely couple of CZ75s worked up for PP [match barrels, sights, compensators etc.]. A very interesting discipline, if a bit heavy on the ammo consumption if using 9mm [other calibres can reload].

MDN doesn't rate the CZ, but then he's weird.

8. Whats the score these days then if you want to take up the sport? how do you go about obtaining a cert and how does this link with a club etc? i.e. are they both reliant upon each other, cant get a firearms cert unless your in a club. Im thinking of taking up some form of rifle / target sport but havent got a clue as to where to start.

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

What are you interested in, if you have access to land then sporting is the freer way to go. If you havent then there are means of getting land and sporting rifle is more fun in my mind than lying down as a gravelbelly (still needs to be done) and pitting yourself against nature is refreshing.

10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I used to load 9mm but I did prefer 9mm short!

11. I havent looked at all the options, outdoor sport shooting sounds better than indoor ranges type shooting, would it be best to Google what is available in my area (Northumberland)? I take it that I would need to apply to the local plod for a licence for a firearm, do gun clubs allow you to store them on site or would I need to kit the house out with a cabinet of sorts? thanks for the help btw

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

There must be clubs up there, worst case is big city shooting clubs but the NRA/NSRA used to have a clubfinder facility, if I find it I'll link to it!

13. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

There is a Border R&PC on the link try it you may be pleasantly surprised!

14. :oops: Dosent that make it doubly bad!!!!! :oops:

Ugly, Appologies for trashing the thread. Couldnt let that one slide!