Getting Started Shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by ironrations, Dec 3, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello,

Myself and the missus have been keen on shooting for years, she shoots clays with the ACF (as an instructor-not locally) and I love anything of the shooting ilk, having hunted as a youngster, and whenever I'm over the Atlantic I always get some range time in (as well as the opportunities that the normal ranges in the Army offer etc).

So, my question is, having been recently posted to the Bulford area, and for the first time having enough stability and disposable income to support a hobby, how do we get "into" shooting? I'm keen to hunt and have no idea where to start.

Any help or advice more than welcome.
  2. I used to know a Sgt who had a deal with the MOD to do the rodent, pest and bunny control for them. His area was mega millions of MOD acres in Surreyshire. He had a letter stating that he was the official rodent shooter so he was able to apply for and obtain allsorts of hunting guns. Go and have a word. There are a couple of gun shops around Swindon and there used to be one in Marlborough, go have a look they can always put you in contact with a syndicate if you can't blag the use of Salisbury Plain.

A related story:

I will not use any names, but our RSM at the time was a real pig. One evening on the way out to control the rodents the RSM acosts aforementioned Sgt and virtually demands that he is bought a fresh bunny for the pot.

The next morning a fresh ovenready "bunny" was delivered. A couple of days later the RSM is passing the Sgt and says what a tasty meal it made. Sgt comments that he is glad that the RSM and family enjoyed it.

In addition to rodents and bunnys there also used to be a plague of pads pets, abandoned on posting, around part of our wooded area, particularly cats. Oh yes, taste very much like bunny............apparently.
  3. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

It all depends what you want to do, training courses and clubs abound. Do you want to stalk deer or small game? Do you want to shoot pheasants or pigeons, all of this costs at some point, you'd be surprised what people pay for a days shooting of pests even!
  4. I'd like to shoot wabbits and duck etc. I've always been a believer in eating what you shoot(within reason). I was brought up ferreting and miss the early mornings and smell of credit!
  5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Shotguns are easy enough to get, chat up a farmer for land and rough shooting it is. Where are you?
  6. Currently in sunny bulford.
  7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Get yourself down a clay club and then get door knocking!
  8. This place is really near you, and a good place to start:

The Shooting Club
  9. Cracking stuff. Cheers
  10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

But its shut!
  11. Are there any target shooting clubs in the area?
  12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

As the Notional rifle association webshite is down at the mo try here
  13. Lains clay shooting is just off the a303 near the Thruxton race course turn off. I'm sure Tidworth has a garrison shoot if you want to shoot pheasant and rabbit. From previous experience a garrison shoot costs about £300-400 for a full gun. If not Warminster garrison has an Infantry shoot but I'm not sure how to get in to it as iv just got here myself. If you want to get into rifle shooting it might be best to speak to the Army Rifle Association at Bisley ranges. Hope this helps.
  14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Lains has a good reputation, I know their gun dog trainer Howard. Top bloke!