Getting started hunting/shooting

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Benzoate, May 29, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have recently found my self with a little bit of extra cash and I'm wanting to get into shooting sports. Could anyone tell me what the first few steps I need to take would be if I wanted to get into hunting or target shooting.

Thanks.

2. Try to get out with someone already in the sport. If you like a particular discipline, clay, target, hunting (rough, driven, stalking etc) then go about getting yourself legal - SGC or FAC, buy yourself a gun and get out and do it.

3. Join a rifle club to get the experience and to bend the ear of the members on best calibre, and technique.

Then, as soon as possible get some land sorted so you can drop the bunch of drippy cuntsm before they drain the life out of you.

4. Bl0ody hell 5A you been on the pi$$?. :lol:

5. What ever you do, under no circumstances ask this question in the shooting forum....................errrrrr.

You will be bombarded by civilian hobbyists demanding answers of military snipers who have the temerity to shoot the enemy.

Ask what the muzzle velocity of a NATO 7.62mm round is (cue SLR "man stopper" comments) and miraculously discover a cure for insomnia.

6. From poking around the internet a little I've become quite interested in black powder rifles. What is the general census on them ?

7. Nope. I'm currently waiting, sober, for nightfall so I can end the life of various species of wildlife using expanding ammunition.

8. The history behind them is fascinating unlike those who actually participate in the shooting of them.

9. Excellent drills mate. :lol:

10. Do you have a beard? Would smelling of rotten eggs be an improvement? Are you already the owner of a light brown dust jacket? Do you enjoy spending significant amounts of time cleaning black kak out of long tubes? Do you enjoy doing an awful lot of work for very little result?

If so, then black powder rifles are definitely for you.

11. Are you at least 95 years old? Smell a little of stale wee? If so, then you'll fit right in.

Lefty, myself and others go clay shooting regularly, you're welcome to come along for a taster sometime.

12. You forgot to mention the beard and an interest in traction engines.

13. Damn, no wonder I was never part of the blackpowder "in crowd" 8O

14. Oi, what's all this nasty talk about BP shooters?

I'll have you know I am on occasion clean shaven, I have a dark brown corduroy sleeveless jacket sans patches, and only have a scale model, abliet fully functional, traction engine. I do however indeed smell of rotten eggs after a range session.

Seriously though, it takes a lot of dedication to shoot BP rifles and even more to shoot them well. You will spend half your time cleaning. From an evolutionary standpoint they are fascinating to study of firearms as they progressed from muzzleloading to breechloading through various sometimes bizarre intermediate steps.

15. I will second that. I am personally fascinated by them from a technological and historical standpoint, but as far as shooting them is concerned it requires a level of enthusiasm and passion for them that I don't have.

I attempted to dabble a while back, and after about a year or so I discovered that dabbling just is not possible and the rifles rather quickly end up as "wardrobe queens" (they don't need to go in a safe here). A lot of my friends in the UK who bought muzzleloading pistols after the 1997 ban found the same, and those who did not find the enthusiasm for it rapidly neglected their pistols.

I thought in the beginning that original blackpowder cartridge rifles, particularly when loaded with light nitro charges, would be much the same as shooting the modern stuff. Wrong! Far more expense, far more hassle, far more cleaning, far less accuracy, and far less shooting.

C_M, on the other hand, feels rather differently about the whole thing and is an addict as a result.