getting rid of my old desktop pc for a laptop!

Discussion in 'Classified Ads' started by UKChrisT, Aug 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been meaning to get rid of my desktop pc for months now, it's old and very slow. I came across a laptop on Currys for £499.99,

AMD Turion X2 Dual Core Mobile Processor
    (2.0 GHz, 400 MHz FSB, 1 MB Cache)
    Genuine Windows Vista (R) Home Premium
    3 GB Memory
    250 GB Hard Drive
    15.4" TruBrite Widescreen Display
    DVD Super Multi ReWriter
    Webcam with face recognition software
    Dedicated Graphics Card
    Wireless Enabled,

To be honest I rarly use the pc for much now accept to come on Arrse and msn to keep in touch with friends,family so i personally thought the ram and hard drive were of a good size but correct me if i am wrong.
    i'm not exactly an "expert" when it comes to pc, so if anyone think i can find a better deal elsewhere please say. or if its a worthwhile buy let me know either way it's the reason i posted here in the first place. cheers in advance
  2. Try Misco first mate, Google should help, Currys are OK for TVs & fridges etc, but you could probably equal or beter that deal with a decent after sale service to boot.
  3. The spec you gave sounds like a good deal to me.

I work with em all the time and I would happily buy it at that price
  4. Does anyone have any recomendations for desktop PC component wholesalers? I'm going to build myself a new workstation.
  5. I suspect you could save up to £200 by lowering your spec and by shopping around.

I bought an ASUS for microdirect a few years ago and have been quite happy with it. After-sales? As I've never had cause to contact them, then either I've been lucky or I made a good choice.

It's tempting to go for big RAMs, big hard drives and fast graphics boards etc, but if you don't intend to make the most of them, then you're just paying over the odds for wasted capability.

Decide what you need - the software that you'll be running (word processing, games, image manipulation, CAD packages, etc) - and determine what hardware you need in the laptop in order to run them. Then add 100% because laptops are harder to upgrade than PCs. That should keep you going for five years or more - by which time you'll feel the need for something more modern.

If you really are just using the laptop for web browsing, then why not try an EeePC for £180?
  6. Misco again mate
  7. ta, I'll have a look.
  8. You could also try NOVATECH i could'nt rate them highly enough & their open 7 days as well have a online forum as well if that helps