Getting Rid of Litter

There is a piece on Auntie that we have been shipping lots of recyclables abroad:

Fuckthishttp://www.bbc.com/news/business-42455378stupid link

and now China is going to stop taking it.

Since I moved to Australia 9 years ago (South Australia) had the 10 cent recycle of cans, bottles and cartons. Old people, poor or homeless would roam the place collecting litter (and in some cases fighting over a bin). Moves to NSW and they have just introduced it.

Whilst I cant imagine what is the worlds worst litter (pikeys, mcdonalds, tyres) it does seem that it would be cheaper for a council to offer 10p for a burger/chip wrapper and perhaps a couple of quid for a tyre....instead of getting people to pay for tipping.

Then, the poor will clean up our towns?

Now whilst we cannot process waste like China, burning it seems insane.

Surely we can take each different type of waste, shred it and compress it into blocks until we find low cost ways of turning it into something useful?

All that recycling aside, lets take Coca Cola and McDonalds for an example, force them to charge 10p extra per item in tax which will be paid back when/if the cartons are returned? Sure McDonalds wont lose out, but those who cant be arsed recycling will, whilst the hobo's will make cider money...

There is a piece on Auntie that we have been shipping lots of recyclables abroad:

Fuckthishttp://www.bbc.com/news/business-42455378stupid link

and now China is going to stop taking it.

Since I moved to Australia 9 years ago (South Australia) had the 10 cent recycle of cans, bottles and cartons. Old people, poor or homeless would roam the place collecting litter (and in some cases fighting over a bin). Moves to NSW and they have just introduced it.

Whilst I cant imagine what is the worlds worst litter (pikeys, mcdonalds, tyres) it does seem that it would be cheaper for a council to offer 10p for a burger/chip wrapper and perhaps a couple of quid for a tyre....instead of getting people to pay for tipping.

Then, the poor will clean up our towns?

Now whilst we cannot process waste like China, burning it seems insane.

Surely we can take each different type of waste, shred it and compress it into blocks until we find low cost ways of turning it into something useful?

All that recycling aside, lets take Coca Cola and McDonalds for an example, force them to charge 10p extra per item in tax which will be paid back when/if the cartons are returned? Sure McDonalds wont lose out, but those who cant be arsed recycling will, whilst the hobo's will make cider money...
Rather have compulsory birching for those who litter.

The idea of having a deposit on plastic bottles is somewhat silly to me. I recycle them so why should I have to take the things back to the store? The mongs who think it is acceptable to litter will continue to do.

Doesnt have to be mutually exclusive.

Birch the 'tossers' and pay the hobos.
And what about the masochists who will start littering everywhere for the birch ?

The idea of having a deposit on plastic bottles is somewhat silly to me. I recycle them so why should I have to take the things back to the store? The mongs who think it is acceptable to litter will continue to do.
You dont, they have recycling centers staffed by those on community service. We take about $30 worth of recycling a month to one.

You dont, they have recycling centers staffed by those on community service. We take about $30 worth of recycling a month to one.
Why can't I continue to recycle as I already do without either an inconvenience or a financial penalty? We already have recycling bins and I recycle everything I can, we have a compost pile in the garden.

Muggins here does everything asked of him and will be told it is not enough and now we have to pay more for plastic containers to try encourage recycling, which I alredy do. The dross will continue to litter.

Some branches of Tesco used to have recycling machines that'd (sometimes) identify what you'd put in and give you points accordingly. It seems to have been binned, I wonder if they recycled the machines?

I remember a plan to charge fast food outlets for 'their' litter, seemed a little unfair as it's not the fault of McPlops etc if one* of their customers drops litter.

10p per item is going to be a lot, for a McCrap you'll be paying for the bag, box or wrapper for the burger, drinks cup, drinks lid, straw, paper wrapper for straw/stirrer, fries container, salt packet, sauce packet, receipt and napkins.
And if you have multiple drinks the cardboard drinks holder. It'd be easier to add x amount per meal/order

*or indeed many customers

Last edited:

philc

LE
I think the days of China recycling the planets waste are over.

China waste clampdown could create UK cardboard recycling chaos, say industry experts

Toxic plastic to be 'burned in Britain' due to China import ban

A solution closer to home is needed. If its a deposit scheme of more stringent laws/rules it needs to happen and it needs to be enforced other wise the great and good will adhere and the mongs will fly tip or just throw it in the street.
when the volunteer police service and the volunteer border guards are not doing anything else they could volunteer to be litter wardens

Well the Czechs and Slovaks offer refunds on the return of beer bottles with the local roma roaming around gathering old junk which they take for re-processing. Sorting is compulsory and fines imposable for breaking the rules.

Similar situation in Latvia but the deposit on bottles is much smaller and not the bother - better to leave the local 'Roma' to take back for recycling.

Food for thought, are we going to recycle the older methods of packaging which do not cause as much pollution and which can be recycled or disposed of more easily?

Krom

I know we have recycling bins but after 8 years of the Mrs conditioning, I went night fishing last week and brought all 12 drink cans home with me for her to take to recycling. Yes "its only $1.20" but its also 2 free cans of beer and no litter I may have left pissed up.

Its a mindset change and free newspapers used to pay 1p per paper to deliver.....this in 10x better!!!

IMO its win win, you can throw your litter at tramps and both of you will be happy.

Well the Czechs and Slovaks offer refunds on the return of beer bottles with the local roma roaming around gathering old junk which they take for re-processing. Sorting is compulsory and fines imposable for breaking the rules.

Similar situation in Latvia but the deposit on bottles is much smaller and not the bother - better to leave the local 'Roma' to take back for recycling.

Food for thought, are we going to recycle the older methods of packaging which do not cause as much pollution and which can be recycled or disposed of more easily?

Krom
We have recycle bins for that, the 10c is for that litter that blights our landscape...

So we find a nice bit of countryside to store these blocks of waste until a boffin finds a use for them? We'll soon have a countryside full of nicely ordered blocks of litter.

Good idea but needs a touch more thought.

So we find a nice bit of countryside to store these blocks of waste until a boffin finds a use for them? We'll soon have a countryside full of nicely ordered blocks of litter.

Good idea but needs a touch more thought.
Put Wales to use.

Krom
I was part of a discussion on recycling recently, I gave up after a while as apparently;

all plastic is bad*.
all cardboard, paper and wood is bad as it's involves cutting down trees.
Cotton is bad as it's a cash crop stopping locals from growing food and of course is linked to slavery
Bamboo was bad for some reason, I forget what.
Hemp is the only solution but it's banned** due to 'big pharma' and oil companies and I think I tried to fall asleep at this point.

* so we shouldn't recycle what we already have
**except it isnt'

I was part of a discussion on recycling recently, I gave up after a while as apparently;

all plastic is bad*.
all cardboard, paper and wood is bad as it's involves cutting down trees.
Cotton is bad as it's a cash crop stopping locals from growing food and of course is linked to slavery
Bamboo was bad for some reason, I forget what.
Hemp is the only solution but it's banned** due to 'big pharma' and oil companies and I think I tried to fall asleep at this point.

* so we shouldn't recycle what we already have
**except it isnt'
I know the feeling. I once went to a Green Party talk (different topic) which I thought might be informative but it was entirely one-sided, minds made up, no discussion allowed.

Plastic is great - without it we wouldn't have medicine and health care, electricity, transport, computers, food. And whatever they say, paper doesn't come from rain forests - it comes from trees grown as a managed sustainable crop.

Anyway, you can tell them all that. I'm not brave enough.

I know the feeling. I once went to a Green Party talk (different topic) which I thought might be informative but it was entirely one-sided, minds made up, no discussion allowed.

Plastic is great - without it we wouldn't have medicine and health care, electricity, transport, computers, food. And whatever they say, paper doesn't come from rain forests - it comes from trees grown as a managed sustainable crop.

Anyway, you can tell them all that. I'm not brave enough.
If you want a laugh at such a gathering mention 'Trump' and 'Brexit' then retire to a safe distance

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
samain11 The NAAFI Bar 70
scoldog Economics 3
BarcelonaAnalPark DIY 87

Latest Threads