getting qualifications in the Army.

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Occams Chainsaw, Aug 18, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was wondering if the Army facilitates or even encourages getting GCSEs, A Levels etc while serving.
    Obviously your duties as a soldier will come first but in my spare time I would like to pursue an education so that one day when I finally leave I am in a position to maybe go to University.

I hear lots about Open University but not much about GCSEs and A Levels.

Any thoughts?
  2. Yes it does
  3. That's good to hear. Could you tell me anything more please? Like maybe how it would work in terms of studying, ie. would it all be self-taught or are there 'classes' that you can attend?

Thanks for the help. I'm glad that I can tell my parents that I will have the chance to do all that while also pursuing my chosen career :)
  4. You can get all the advice you need from the Army Learning Centres. I used the ALC years ago to brush up on some numeracy and literacy. They run Levels 1, 2 and 3 courses which is needed for CLM and promotion.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  5. When it comes to leave and you have no qualification over level 5, the army will pay for everything. One of my soldiers is leaving with a redundancy payment and about to embark on a five year engineering degree to the tune of £27k...all paid for!

6. also you can save the ELC to use to pay for a complete degree course as well when u leave
  7. Sounds like we have quite a good scheme for education!

Thanks for all the help. My parents aren't so scared about me signing up now. They figured I'd come out with next to no skills. I'm glad I can show them otherwise.

8. Are you joining up early, missing A levels? Id advise A levels first

9. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer