Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Getting out

The grass is certainly not that much greener out here. Come back to the United Kingdom , whats new since you left ?
Even more crime , asylum seekers, people on the make, drugs, grime, filthy streets, grafeti,unemployment and oh yeh the average civvy doesn't give a shit that you have been in the army - my advice stay where you are.

As I have made my own choices and not been forced into them, I don't see that I have failed in any aspects of my career. As for your other questions I can only apologise. It seems that I have offended you by mentioning technicians... for this I am sorry. The spelling mistakes I must admit I am shocked at. I suppose I should have proof read my text. Something which I will endeavour to do in the future.
You are right though you get out of life whatever you put in and you have to make your own future. The point I was trying to make though was: Say the comms industry dries up next week, as a civvie you would have to pay to be trained in something else. Whilst carrying out that training you wouldn't be getting paid. Not the case in the Army. Yes the Army is the easy way. But why make life hard for myself? After all sress is a killer!
Glad civvie street is treating you so well. Good luck for whatever other challenges get thrown your way.

I think with any job it all boils down to the people you work with. You may touch lucky and end up working with people you get on well with and will support each other; I have found that in civ-div people are just going through the motions so they can pick up their beer tokens at the end of the week. If you are keen, you will find this aspect very frustrating as you see people take the pi*s and management not doing a jot to sort it out.
I joined civ-div in 1990 and have worked mostly in sales - not recommended if you want a family life...long hours and a boss never happy even if you fill the factory full of orders (excellent pay!). Have recently moved to the NHS and have not looked back! Pay is poor but quality of life has improved no end.
Take a long hard look before signing off....its a big bad world out here!
Good luck

I sacked it after 12 years. Poor promotion prospects, not enjoying it anymore I simply bit the bullet and did it. I don't regret it one bit. The army is not forever, and doing 22 as a lance jack would have

a. Left me with a pension not worth talking about
b. Left me homeless or unable to afford a house
c. Give me a highly reduced life expectancy
d. Left me at an increased risk of getting anything but a menial job in driving

Hanging on hating every minute is simply not an option. If you are intelligent, motivated, reliable and free thinking then civ-div has great rewards to offer, whereas one of those optons will damm you in the army.

Firslty, I'd like to take this opportunity for being such a knob to people, you know who you are.

I left the army having done 7 and a bit years. I was a class 2, yes I admit it, but I failed my entrance (old type) twice. I ended up leaving the army for a number of reasons. Firstly, the way it had changed, even in the short time I served. Secondly and more impoortantly, personal reasons which i'm not going to disclose on here to 'strangers'. I was unemployed for about 4 months before I managed to get a job in a known and respected Mobile Telephone Company. Started off as a contractor, earning pretty much the same as what you do as a class 2 techie, but with obvious expenses.(mortgage, petrol etc) I then moved into salary job and things have been going great from then on. One of the major plus points are the cash bonuses you receive for 'effort'. Whereas in the army your efforts often go unnoticed, although you're led to believe they'renot being overlooked!! Anyway, i'm in no position to give advice but I believe if you start having doubts about your future in the Army, do some civvie street research, see what you could be doing instead. Whatever you do, don't stay in til the 12 year point plodding along because you are just setting yourself back years.

Over and out............................... :oops:

By means of an introduction to this site, which I have been reading on the peripheries for years, I'd just like to say.... Tech Wizard; your English is fcuking apalling and you talk out of your hoop!!

icannotanswerthatquestion said:
By means of an introduction to this site, which I have been reading on the peripheries for years, I'd just like to say.... Tech Wizard; your English is fcuking apalling and you talk out of your hoop!!

I think you'll find this word is spelt as follows : APPALLING

Too funny.

interesting read - so I thought I'd add my bit (although the adventure started a while ago!)

I left the Army in 1990 after 10yrs - only made LCPL as a Radio Op Class 1 - was told I'd never be a good leader or pass my DCs!
Moved to Australia and spent 3 years installing PABXs
Got a great job with a bank. 2 years later I was managing a group of 30 IT professionals during a major technology refresh (sort of what's needed with Clansman I suppose!)
Moved to the US in 2005 and am now the Infrastructure Manager for a "govt" agency

I really enjoyed my stint in Sigs, was nervous about leaving. But had just got married and my wife wasn't keen on military life. So, I made the right choice (still married 19yrs later!)

GEE! reading my own post makes me feel old! - moral of my story is "make the most of what you've got"!!!!!

cheers!

Be Aware that eventually you will have to leave (ie 22 years) no matter how well you do
the last few years fly by and particularly if you are busy and enjoy the job

Plan early for what you want to do and look at your saleable skills book resettlement at the two year point
and to get the most out of it have a rough idea of what you want to do (saw a few people who had left it until the las minute and had painted themselves into a corner)

get as many courses and quals as you can while the MOD is paying

buy a house as soon as you can you cant live in the flash car you could buy instead

Look at any particular quals you have the SC Clearance has proved a winner companies need it for goverment work but they
dont want to pay for it

enjoy it while your in i did but dont forget it will be over sooner than you think

Never send out a CV for a job that is generic target it at the job you want and make them know you fit the bill

it has worked out well for me although no matter how well you prepare it will involve stress and worry

life outrside the Army is not better or worse it is different

I will never know if the preplanning worked or i was lucky (but the harder i work the luckier i get)

Tech Wizard it seems the trade you had paid for by the MOD has carried you through. I agree the Army was hassle some times and hard work but you dont get owt for nought where would you be without your trade without my time in i would have a much less sunny future.

I'm getting out, signed off a couple of weeks ago.

But I wouldn't have done it without a firm job offer from the Aussie army :D

And before I leave, I must just say, it really has been good, føcking good!!

A shame to see that so many are looking or thinking of gettting out. im currently on long term sick leave and possibly being medically discharged due to illness, but one thing i would like to add is how much diffrent it is seeing civvy street whilst i have been on sick leave.

if you are someone who is looking or thinking of getting out firstly look at what you want to do in the Sigs and how to enhance your career profile i know that many of the younger Soldiers whine about this that and the other but some sound advice - get some Mil Quals under your belts and other trade quals especially the IT side of things and make yourself more employable.

Also when trawls come out for volunteer jobs outside your Unit - volunteer you may or may not get it but if you do its an extra report and your off the shop floor and enhancing your experience.

Overall get hold of the DCI's get on those courses and ENJOY !!