Getting out

Discussion in 'Royal Signals' started by Tech-Wizard, Jun 7, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Is there anyone who no longer enjoys the army but is staying in just because they are 'scared' as to what lies ahead in civvie street? The amount of people that are going to 'sign off' and then don't is phenomenal. I say, if you're gonna do it, then do it!
    All this leads to is an army of people who don't want to be here, thus lowering morale and profesionalism.
    Also, the OC's and CO's that fight to keep these reprobates in the Army are equally to blame.

Nuff said.

2. I take it from your immature comments about the Sgts Mess, that you are jumping ship. If you are, don't forget to turn out the light, and if you are staying in, get a fcuking grip.

3. I have to say, I tend to agree. Many are doing the same in my unit (I use the term loosely). I wanted to sign off.... so I did!

Just put your underpants on your head and stick two pencils up your nose - that's what we did in the Sudan.

4. Cow

Cow LE

Why get out when your on your way to a full pension? I wouldnt, it just wouldnt make sense

5. Is it the same 'Tech -Wizard' on this thread talking about retention of reprobates and professionalism as the one on another who seems proud of the fact that he's been in too much trouble to achieve Sgt's Mess status.

6. Seems to be the one who spills more shite out of his mouth than an average cow manages to drop out of it's arrse every day :x

7. He's a tech, so talking shite is part of his job spec

8. Yawn. Please don't tar us all with the same brush.

9. We'd never tar you with the same brush Chris :p There would be too much to tar

10. Hee hee Pot/kettle. I'd end up looking like the M25 (but wider)

11. I can see both sides of the argument having left the army six months ago. I walked straight into employment earning slightly more than I was in the army. Big Deal! What I didn't realise was 1) How much less time I would get to spend at home with my family... 2) How much civvies stab each other in the back (makes LCpl Brownose look like an ordinary decent bloke)... and 3) How much time I would have to spend sat doing 20mph on the M3! The grass isn't greener... it's a kind of shitty brown. I am now swallowing my pride and re-enlisting. You might think this is cowardly but at least I had the balls to get out from under the big green umbrella, then addmit I had made a mistake.
    It's easy to see now that civvies all have their own private agenda, where as squadies all have one common goal. I firmly believe that there should be some kind of system in place to educate you about the way civ div is. CTP just doesn't quite do it.

12. Couldn't hack the Army.. couldn't hack civvie street..have you thought of a career with the clergy?

13. It's got nothing to do with hacking anything... I was doing well in the army; trade and fizz (unlike many over weight techs with their lamminated biff chits). And as I've already said I landed a great job straight away and have been progressing with that nicely. All have done is realised that the shit I used to whinge about in the Army was mere trivia. I don't regret signing off as I have had to open my eyes to the real world. Now instead of sitting in the Garages whinging about having to sweep it for the fifth time in one day I'll get of my arse and do what anyone in the Army can. Whatever the **** they want... Courses... Adv Trg... Sport etc.
    Having said that though your reply doesn't supprise me and I'm sure you won't be the last to say it.

14. i enjoy the army but it has got to be said that i am apprehensive about civvie street.

for starters a job... for some people its easy to find a job but its going to be hard to compete when your trade skills are machine gunner, or clansman radio operator. i suppose the army is good for management roles, is the crossover for multiple commander any good in civvy st? are there any civvy recognised skills?
    for other jobs you have to be an apprentice, not very good pay. not enough to support my next point either.

accom, well living with mother is hardly ideal! and i doubt i could afford to rent a place without a little help.

travel. being in the army your workplace is on your doorstep (well singly it is) in civvie st you may have to travel alot... uk petrol and taxes dont really float my boat. this could be a main factor in choosing a job, limiting your already small amount of choices.

hell i maybe wrong about all this but thats what would be on my mind if i ever did sign off.

its worth noting that out of all my mates who have signed off 80% of them were sure of a sorted out life in civvy street. with jobs lined up and some sort of life plan sorted.

this of course turned out to be lies a year later when every single one of them signed back on. 2 of them begging for a tour to clear thier debts. quite a sobering thought

15. And there you have it EWK. Retrade to tech (if you think you are up to the academic standard). I'm out now earning a decent wage with my pension on top. My mate went RD from tech, left as a WOII(RQMS) and the last I heard, he was driving taxis. Really glad I stayed in trade now, people thought I was crazy to turn mine down......but it worked out very well indeed.