Getting out

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by BoringUsername1, Jan 27, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

  1. Howdy,

    Can anyone tell me what I should be expecting on leaving the TA to receive in terms of documentation. It is entirely possible in the future that I will need to show that I've not been dishonorably discharged, etc for vetting and need to provide some documentary evidence.

    Cheers in advance,
    p.s. I'm leaving of my own volition
  2. You'll get a discharge certificate.
  3. Cheers for that :)
  4. Shouldn't really matter for vetting....

    I'm only expecting a mess bill and maybe a bill for some oversized blue shorts I lost somewhere between 1988 and 2000 (I blame it on SDR). .... oh and the nearly new white plimsols
  5. I wouldn't bet on getting a discharge certificate - Glasgow are crap. I put in a Subject Access Request before I left, had to submit several reminders and about a year later I'd progessed to the complaining to the MOD directly before they bothered to comply. I still didn't get a discharge certificate; let alone a valedictory letter.

    Still, maybe you'll get lucky.
  6. You don't get a "discharge certificate" you get a certificate of service, these are issued by your unit - whoever has the career manager role on JPA, not Glasgow. Your unit should also apply for your valedictory letter if entitled (and deemed worthy by your CO).

  7. RP578

    RP578 LE Book Reviewer


    Does the TA have any equivalent to the Red Book which could verify details of service (I'm thinking specifically of tours and quals)? Or is it incumbent on each soldier to keep a collated record of his own in the form of JPA/UNICOM print outs and course certificates?
  8. The certificate of service covers ranks held, quals, etc. It's nothing like the good old red book but does the same job, anything from a couple of sides of A4 upwards - I think the thickest one I've seen so far was 6 pages.

  9. RP578

    RP578 LE Book Reviewer

    Thanks mate.
  10. I left about 6 years ago and did not receive any certificate of service, Who do i see about that then, my old unit or ring Glasgow ?
  11. The red book hasnt existed for years in the regs, all you get is a certificate of service, a certificate of discharge, a veterans badge and then when you put in an official complaint youll get a bit of paper with a testimonial on it.
  12. I called it getting out because there is a process I need to follow, I can't write a letter of resignation and never come back. I could have called it leaving.

    All I'm interested in is a proof I've left and not in bad standing if there is such a thing.
  13. A certificate saying you were the best TA Soldier in NATO and a warm handshake
  14. hehe, in my case that is highly unlikely :)
  15. ..and long may it be this way as it is, after all, a voluntary organisation (not that you'd think it from some of the other more active threads at the moment). The day it becomes anything other than something from which one can easily 'flit', then it will be part-time, not casual. At which point, the cat really would be in there amongst the pigeons.