Getting out between RMAS and YOs

Discussion in 'Officers' started by get_in_the_ditch, May 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know that you can leave Sandhurst at any point as you are still a trainee, but once you pass out and are waiting to go to your YOs course (which is technically phase 2) can you still get out as a trainee or are you stuck in?
    What are peoples options for either leaving at this stage or moving to another part of the army if they can't get out?

Cheers

2. Interesting question. But let me humour you....

You have 3 options....

1 - If you havent been to RMAS yet... then dont. If you are asking this question then choose another career.

2 - If you are there... tell your DS now! Dont waste your future soldiers' time. Leave RMAS. Choose another career.

3 - If you have comissioned....oh dear. Stag on! Then choose another career.

That just about covers it i think....

3. Im really very sorry. In an vague attempt at witty banter i forgot to answer your question. In a word: No. Once that clock chimes, you've got three years ahead of you. If you are still unsure at that stage then....well....oh dear, its going to be a very confusing few years for you.

4. Technically, superfrog is right as you will be given a three year contract. However, there are always ways round these things, but be prepared to fight hard as you will be delving into the world of employment law.

What is really the problem here?

5. Judging by your other post I guess you're probably at Sandhurst already so if you are just after the kudos of finishing the course and commissioning I am afraid you can't without doing the 3 years.

Go with Superfrog's suggestion and jump now or do your time. You'll probably find the 3 years will fly by and you'll actually have something to offer to prospective employers without them thinking you're a c**ck for quitting at the start of your Army career.

6. What would happen to an officer that tried to resign within the first three years? Surely they are in such a position where they can cause a lot of damage, therefore it would be better to let them go, would it not?

Are officers bound by the 12 months notice rule also? I've heard of people resigning their commission and it's always been mentioned as though it was immediately effective.

Please excuse my ignorance.

7. Yes, you can resign your commission (SSC - short service commission), but only if you have served the time. Ie, in this case, three years. You continue on this commission until you apply/accept an IRC.

If , however, you wish to leave before this point:

A - you are an arrse for accepting a commission then deciding it wasnt for you - stand by for a legal battle (invariably the Army legal service, being the fine bunch of legal minds that they are wont put up a fight). Good luck finding a job, you Sir, are a quitter.

B - Your CO/Chain of Command will reveal you to be the arrse that you invariably are and discharge you. Good luck finding a job, you Sir, are a failure.

Questions at this stage?

8. It is a contract and while you may argue that you are incredibly unhappy at having to serve 3 years, they could still make you serve 12 months notice IF they let you split early.

If you are a RMAS and want to quit, don't wait until you have commissioned - see my point above. I never looked into the problem of leaving while still an Officer Cadet at RMAS, but presumably it works a bit like the Phase 1 Solldiers Under Training - you have a Discharge as of Statutory Right window - get out no quibbles.

Once you are into your contract (as with Soldiers), you serve the terms.

Rimmer, to suggest that they should let them go, as they may cause harm due to their influential (?) or important (again ?) position and ability to cause damage, is a bit niave. And you do serve 12 months before release after PVRing, in exceptional circumstances (you have a new job and they - the Army - don't need you) you might leave earlier. as a rule though, they make you do the 12 months, as they wont get a replacement until the splitter has left.

9. Agree with all the above but to add...

The discharge window is not open for the whole time you are at RMAS. However, a gentleman's agreement for you to leave (not forgetting any Welbeck, DTUS, Scholarship, Bursary or Cadetship money that may be due) may be easier to come by at RMAS than afterwards.

10. hmm. I understand what you are saying but do you honestly think that the average civvy interviewer won't believe the ex-officer when they claim to "value their individuality too much" or were "unable to stay in the army when they cause the deaths of so many civilians" etc. etc.

Considering most people's response to military service, it wouldn't be hard to blame the Army for forcing you out!

To Django, yes I agree that I'm naive in this. I'm not making out that a 2Lt is holding their hand over a big red button but to paraphrase the recruiting bumpf, they may be responsible for the welfare and careers of up to 50 soldiers, as well as millions of pounds of equipment. If I had a subordinate that didn't want to do the job, I'd get rid asap.

11. You have absolutely no right to discharge from the end of the statutory Discharge As Of Right window until the end of your 3 years.

Of course the practicalities of forcing people who do not wish to soldier to do so are difficult. There are not many around who force this issue to the extreme - or that are given the chance to do so as that requires 'them' (the amorphous Army) to push back against the reneging man.

To Ace_Rimmer:

Do you not suppose that in any interview for a worthwhile job the answer:

"Unable to stay in the army when they cause the deaths of so many civilians"

Would be followed by the supplementary questions:

"So why did you join in the first place then? Are you so myopic an individual as to fail to consider the morality of the use of lethal force prior to making the decision to embark on a career as an officer in the Army?"

Or words to that effect with that thought running through the interviewers mind.

To the OP:

You don't know what you are talking about as you say that trainees can leave at any time - you are wrong.

You may be unhappy at RMAS for whatever reason but to complete the course and then to force the issue to leave the Army before having experienced what it is to command soldiers would be the biggest mistake you ever made.

Regimental life bears little resemblance to life at RMAS - you are surely getting this hammered down your gullet at Sandhurst - my advice, and I mean this in the nicest possible way, is dry your eyes and finish the course for that which follows is at least worth seeing.

12. Regimental life bears little resemblance to life at RMAS - you are surely getting this hammered down your gullet at Sandhurst - my advice, and I mean this in the nicest possible way, is dry your eyes and finish the course for that which follows is at least worth seeing.[/quote]

Unlucky_Alf you are sir spot on. I would also want to ask if perhaps their was an alternative problem at RMAS that could be sorted without being de-kitted and marched off as an O/Cdt (retired), all a bit sad really.

If you want to go, do it now, don't prolong the decision if you have already mentally made it.

13. Value their individuality? As a reason for leaving the military goes, i have never heard such a huge amount of arrse.

Most people's response to military service? What do you mean? What is most people's response to military service? I am intrigued...

You are right in one thing however, a 2Lt doesnt have his hand over anything at all, bar his privates, sorry I mean Privates.

14. Sorry to drag up an old thread but I'd hate to make you think I'd sloped off like a naughty child.

Are you kidding? Almost everyone that hears I want to join up replies with something along the lines of "But why? What do you want to do that for? That's dangerous. You'll have to go to war...." blah blah blah.

Most people wouldn't dream of joining the Army and therefore it's very easy to explain why it wasn't for you.

As an aside, I was just throwing in some tongue-in-cheek "civvy" reasons (that I have actually heard).

15. Any update on this confused young man......or woman? Is he currently randomly assigning death duties to poor innocent soldiers?