Getting on H13

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Voltiguer, Jan 11, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening all,

Anyone got any advice for someone looking to get on Herrick 13? My Bn is not earmarked for sending people this time but by the next time their turn will come around it will be a few years down the line no doubt.

Basically H13 dates would fit in perfectly, and I'm keen to crack on as soon as poss.

I am an Infantry 2Lt, done PTC/PCBC, doing Mod5/PCT, will be at 1 years seniority at the time of mobilisation if I can get my arse on this.

I'm aware that its a lot harder to get an officer employed than it is a rifleman or similar, given the number of regular officers who are going to be after jobs like Platoon Commander, but also there are various non-traditional roles a TA officer can find themselves in, all arms jobs like CIMIC and the like.

However, I'm also a bit concerned it'll be harder to get on it as apparently 16 AA are going (this is in the public domain already), and I'm not a Para, which must reduce the chances of getting a slot by a bit.

Any thoughts on where I should start looking and what might be on offer? Have already checked with my CoC.

Cheers!
    V

2. msr

msr LE

As a 2Lt, unlikely. Bear in mind that in army terms, you are not allowed to pick up scissors, let alone transfer them from room to room.

That said, speak to your Adjt via your OC about slots on the OCE and have a look here: http://www.army.mod.uk/documents/general/raol.xls

msr

3. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

When is H13?

4. msr

msr LE

After H12.

msr

P.S. You could have asked your PSI this :roll:

5. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Voltiguer,

I can't offer much in the way of advice on your situation, and whilst the chances are slimmer than a super-model, I can offer some hope.

a) I've seen it done before - I knew a platoon commander in Iraq (regular battalion) who was a fairly fresh TA 2Lt. I don't what, if any, previous experience he had, but he did go on to do the Regular commissioning course post-tour. Seemed to be competent enough as well as liked and respected by the lads.

b) There is a need for replacement platoon commanders - On Herrick 10 our Company lost three platoon commanders Killed and Wounded In Action. Most of the replacement subbies (all one pips wonders) were already in battalion in various staff roles, but at least one was plucked off his Brecon course early to fill the vacancy (he'd completed the Tactics phase, just had the LFTT part left to do). They all did well and were good officers. Yes they needed a bit of hand holding from the NCOs and senior bods, but that's to be expected.

So in summary; it's happened before to a TA bod and battalions seem to go on tour with a couple of spare subbies to hand. The remark about not being trusted with a pair of scissors is a bit silly really as well as wide of the mark. By the end of tour all three of our rifle platoons were led by 2Lts. Good luck with trying for it!

6. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

There are a number of TA units contributing to the Inf TA cohort deploying on Herrick 13. The MST is being co-ordinated by 4 Para, but training is being done at unit level up to the RTMC/Battle camp build up phase prior to release to the receiving regular unit. The pre-mobilisation training requirement is large, so act now to ensure that you give yourself a chance to meet all of the TOs.

In all honesty, you are highly unlikely to pck up a Pl Comd slot, but it is not beyond the realms of possibility if the situation runs as per RP578s pos. Depending which unit you go to, there are all sorts of other options for OMLT, non-kinetic effects, G2 etc.

If you want to PM me a rough idea of your location, I will let you know which is the nearest TA unit you should be speaking to.

7. Odds on you'll end up being a watchkeeper if anything matey..

8. you could resign you comission and go as a rifleman

9. You could fill in a Reservist Employment Preference Proforma (REPP) from Armynet and send through your chain of command to APC. They will keep your details on file until something suitable comes up. That is if there isn't something specific in the RAOL or OCE that takes your fancy.

10. msr

msr LE

You 'crazy guy'...