Getting my grandfather a beret

Evening folks,
After some help if we have anyone here in the know.
My grandfather served with the Royal Signals as a DR during the Suez, hes always been very modest about his service not really saying much about it other than when we swapped stories from our times in the sandpit.
Unfortunately he's now in the latter stages of Parkinsons and has sodding cancer as well so this may be his last remembrance parade, he asked me a couple of months back if I would take him to his local service in Swansea, however I've managed to get him into this years Cenotaph Parade which has blown him away (fear it may be dusty there as I push him past)
Anyway, I digress...I've managed to get his medals which are in a pitiful state so I'll get them sent off shortly for a clean and mounting. The problem is his headdress, he tells me that they wore sandy berets out there and he's adamant he wants to wear one, the problem is I can't verify this anywhere and the last thing I want is someone giving him any grief what with todays every increasing Walthunter clubs etc. Whilst I appreciate that I'll be able to set the record straight immediately, I'd rather it doesn't happen in the first place.
So can anyone shed any light on any of the RS units during the Suez, did any of them wear a sandy beret and if so are we talking special forces sandy or khaki?

Thanks in advance folks.

Benn

Well, a search of Google images shows that the deployed troops wore either helmets or Regimental headdress.

However.

Narrowing the search and this image pops up:

SUEZ%20Operating%20Wireless%20Set%2068.jpg

Entitled 'Operating a Wireless Set 68', it purports to be at the time of the Suez operation. The berets are either faded or it's just a crap development process, plus a bit of age.

Not much help I'm afraid as I was next door in in Benghazi at the time, thanking my lucky stars that a sister regiment drew the short straw. All I can say is the Scaleys attached to us wore blue berets with KD, denims or BD in the winter. Perhaps the RS Museum could help, or maybe he was attached to e regiment that wore them, why not ask him? My best wishes to your grandfather and tell him to get his knees brown. I am sure he'll have a great day and well done for arranging it..

Evening folks,
My grandfather served with the Royal Signals as a DR during the Suez, hes always been very modest about his service not really saying much about it other than when we swapped stories from our times in the sandpit.
Unfortunately he's now in the latter stages of Parkinsons and has sodding cancer as well so this may be his last remembrance parade, he asked me a couple of months back if I would take him to his local service in Swansea, however I've managed to get him into this years Cenotaph Parade which has blown him away (fear it may be dusty there as I push him past)
Anyway, I digress...I've managed to get his medals which are in a pitiful state so I'll get them sent off shortly for a clean and mounting. The problem is his headdress, he tells me that they wore sandy berets out there and he's adamant he wants to wear one, the problem is I can't verify this anywhere and the last thing I want is someone giving him any grief what with todays every increasing Walthunter clubs etc. Whilst I appreciate that I'll be able to set the record straight immediately, I'd rather it doesn't happen in the first place.
So can anyone shed any light on any of the RS units during the Suez, did any of them wear a sandy beret and if so are we talking special forces sandy or khaki?

Thanks in advance folks.

Benn
I suppose really, he should wear a corps beret, but who's counting? It's not as if he's gonna wear a parachute regiment cap badge with as sas backing, is it?
My best guess - and a guess is all it is - is to go for whatever the pwrr are wearing.

@FourZeroCharlie - I presume the BD is khaki not black and the belt is scrubbed not pipeclayed!, But as you say, it's probably a slightly dodgy print. I think they may be infantry regimental signals personnel not RS, as the 68 set was a (supposedly) man-portable unit for communication between company and battalion. I await incoming, but I agree with @Offendi, it's the badge that matters

Thanks folks. I'll give the museum a bell on Monday and see if they can shed any light. Failing that, as an old mans last hurrah, if he wants to wear a sandy hat, he can blinking wear one, who am I to tell him what's protocol or not.
Thanks again.

I have seen photos of troops at the end of the war wearing a sewn khaki beret as distinct to a wool one.. The material looked more like the stuff BD was made from.

It looked something like a ToS without the pompom...

This may be what he was referring to...but where you would get one these days gawd knows...

edited to add... Found it! GS Beret

Last edited:
I'll be damned, you might just have found it HE! Power of the tinterweb eh?! Thanks again, I'll report back to him and see what he says.

Glad to be of assistance!

Once a Logistician etc...

Good job really, cos the Corps Museum is absolutely gash and would provide you with **** all

@FourZeroCharlie - I presume the BD is khaki not black and the belt is scrubbed not pipeclayed!, But as you say, it's probably a slightly dodgy print. I think they may be infantry regimental signals personnel not RS, as the 68 set was a (supposedly) man-portable unit for communication between company and battalion. I await incoming, but I agree with @Offendi, it's the badge that matters
Yep, I think you're right: it's a mix of a crap photo, dodgy development and age!

I have seen photos of troops at the end of the war wearing a sewn khaki beret as distinct to a wool one.. The material looked more like the stuff BD was made from.

It looked something like a ToS without the pompom...

This may be what he was referring to...but where you would get one these days gawd knows...

edited to add... Found it! GS Beret
Service Cap GS withdrawn in 1946

The Army Museum in Chelsea has always been helpful whenever I had a question previously. Give them a bell and ask nicely. Chelsea pensioners are also a font of information if you can get an enquiry in through their door.......they are a bit like ARRSE but all living together under one roof, so to speak.

National Army Museum, London

Royal Hospital Chelsea

@B3NNL, I hope your dad enjoys the day regardless of which beret he wears.

Evening folks,
Parkinsons and cancer you say. How those that live long are rewarded.

I might join you if I have time in dear darkest deepest Swansea. I have to go down sometime soon to see my bro whose cancer has come back. Non drinking, non smoking, body builder. 40 odd years old. Too soon.

Sounds like your grandfather had a good innings.

I wish you well.

I'm going to look up the Cenotaph Parade.

Hit me up if you like. I'd be happy to walk alongside you both. And then show you the best pubs in the Sandfields.

Swansea is a true shit hole, but no reason why good men can't get along.

All the best, as they say.

There is a Suez Veterans Association. I think they wear a sandy chipbag hat.

Thats the one,thought it was a chipbag but its a beret. I think they then wear their unit capbadge.

Looking through their site it seems a lot of them wear their various unit/service beret. Though the chap's I have seen with their standard have worn the sandy one.