Getting MTP to fit properly

Hi,
I don't normall post just read but I can't find an answer, if there is one, to this.

My pcs is horrible. I am not a tailor-friendly shape to begin with (being over 6ft, long arms and legs) but I can get civvis to fit fine.

I am a reservist and I don't want to look like one. I want to look the part. But the Army seem to have decided if youre over 6ft you must be fat. I am a 32 waist and they gave me a 36 because of my leg length. I'm a 42 chest and I've got a 44 chest due to my height.

Is there any secrets the regs have to getting the pcs to fit properly?

Aside from eating a few more pies or buying my own clothes from a surplus I'm not too sure what else I can do.

Ive already had to buy my own beret and belt. The only issued kit that fit was the boots.

So yeah, shrinking/stiching/tailoring tips to get mtp to fit properly?

Cheers,
A saggy looking reservist.

ACAB

LE
Can you not exchange kit nowadays? Take into CQMS / Storeman 'it doesn't fit, can you change it please' used to be the simple way of doing it.

It's not a question of looking Ally, if you suffer from the curse of a 32" waist (as do I, I feel your pain) you are hardly likely to do the biz with your kegs flapping around your ankles because they're too big.

42" Chest and given a 44" jacket? Wouldn't worry about that.

Bris

LE
You don't need to shrink/stitch the clothes - it isn't a fashion parade. If it's that bad, get new stuff - get friendly with your CQ and they'll be able to order some in the correct size.

If my former CO of 6'6" can get some to fit, you can too.

Jammy66

War Hero
Any good tailor will be able to help, nicely tight in the trousers around the buttocks and nip the jacket in at the waist to accentuate the torso and shoulders.

Get 'em tailored or ask to become a General. They're allowed to look like a bag of shite.

You're a reservist but don't want to look one?? What do reservists look like?? The reservist Sqn with it's offices next door to me look just like normal Toms to me. Or do you mean you're a reservist but want to look like some special forces as per the tv or Xbox Black Ops games so you can big it up a bit?
Edited to add: I'm 6'5 and I've never had an issue finding correctly fitting uniform.

Mattb

LE
Hi,
I don't normall post just read but I can't find an answer, if there is one, to this.

My pcs is horrible. I am not a tailor-friendly shape to begin with (being over 6ft, long arms and legs) but I can get civvis to fit fine.

I am a reservist and I don't want to look like one. I want to look the part. But the Army seem to have decided if youre over 6ft you must be fat. I am a 32 waist and they gave me a 36 because of my leg length. I'm a 42 chest and I've got a 44 chest due to my height.

Is there any secrets the regs have to getting the pcs to fit properly?

Aside from eating a few more pies or buying my own clothes from a surplus I'm not too sure what else I can do.

Ive already had to buy my own beret and belt. The only issued kit that fit was the boots.

So yeah, shrinking/stiching/tailoring tips to get mtp to fit properly?

Cheers,
A saggy looking reservist.
Same - it's also really annoying that there's no longer a drawstring around the waist.

Talking out of my bum, via a mobile telephone.

You're a reservist but don't want to look one?? What do reservists look like?? The reservist Sqn with it's offices next door to me look just like normal Toms to me. Or do you mean you're a reservist but want to look like some special forces as per the tv or Xbox Black Ops games so you can big it up a bit?
Edited to add: I'm 6'5 and I've never had an issue finding correctly fitting uniform.
I think he means he doesn't want to look like he's in The TA's.

You know with a beret passing helicopters consider landing on, an unironed smock that fits like a bivi bag and with bulging pockets full of field kit even though they're in the Naafi.

and don't get me started on trousers tied at the waist with the draw string and tucked into boots.

I think we know exactly what he means.

I think he means he doesn't want to look like he's in The TA's.

You know with a beret passing helicopters consider landing on, an unironed smock that fits like a bivi bag and with bulging pockets full of field kit even though they're in the Naafi.

and don't get me started on trousers tied at the waist with the draw string and tucked into boots.

I think we know exactly what he means.
I'm at work when the Regiment is on long weekend. Let me be a grumpy fecker this morning!

If the QM realy can't issue you a set of appropriate sizes then custom measured uniform is available using the MOD forms 1072 (Male) or 1114 (Female). Noting that to fill in the form you / the QM have to say that the nearest standard sizes have been tried, or to explain why not.

Available on DII by searching 'form uniform special measure'

2/51

LE
A very quick search on Ebay shows that both Smocks and Jackets (shirts) come in a 190 96 or 106, so 6' 3" and a 38" or 42" chest.

If ebay has them, surely the QM can get them.

There is also a 200 (6'7") 96, 106 or 112 available to, but they are out of stock.

watchandshoot1

Old-Salt
Real soldiers who are blessed with manly chests, slender hips and bulging forearms tuck their shirt in and roll their sleeves up.

Feel free to tattoo 'Bootneck' on your forearm for added authenticity.

I feel your pain, try getting hold of a 180/88 lighweight jacket, they dont exist. The 96 in temprate is like a parachute smock on my pidgeon chest, but for some reason the desert isn't as bad so I wear that all year round. Oh and I'm QM's.

Is this a Wah? I hope OP is aware that you can get different waist/leg combinations?

Case in hand - myself - over 6' tall and not obese. Don't look like a STAB either. :)

Is this a Wah? I hope OP is aware that you can get different waist/leg combinations?
Probably not a wah, and I'm sure there are still some QMs out there who measure by eye and then tell you to sign out a chest rather than go to the trouble of exchanging for the correct size when you turn out looking like a sandbag tied up with string.

Mattb

LE

Case in hand - myself - over 6' tall and not obese. Don't look like a STAB either. :)
Not all combinations exist though - for example the 90/88/104 that would fit me nicely...

Talking out of my bum, via a mobile telephone.

Latest Threads