getting issued special boots for medical reasons- procedure?

Discussion in 'Professionally Qualified, RAMC and QARANC' started by nakedbar!, Aug 29, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. hi, could someone give me a definitive answer to this please ? Quick summary, lots of lower leg/foot problems for years, incl stress fractures. Finally getting somewhere with orthotics and exercises physio gave me, but still in pain.

Problem now: Feet are being shredded every time i do a CFT or go on exercise, due to orthotics and way newly strengthened foot moves inside boot.

Solution : MO (civ GP at medcentre)says i should be able to be issued special boots to help alleviate problem. Needs (civ)physio's signature, which will probably be forthcoming.

Questions:
    1 What is the make of Boot that is issued for these reasons?
    2 What is the correct procedure for obtaining these boots, as QM dept not very sympathetic to say least.
    3 Does anyone have a reference to regulations on this matter, or experience in organaising this for serving personnel?

Obviously i am considering buying my own boots, but am holding off in case the Army are 'willing' or able to provide me with better boots(for my individual problem) than the issue Combat assault boot.

Many thanks in advance for any constructive suggestions. Ta.

2. While I was at RMAS in training, one of the girls there had all sortsof problems and bought a pair of LOWA boots - I can't rememerb whether they were the Combat or Mountain boots, but they were black at any rate. They were, I believe paid for by the army.

3. Did she have callipers attached to them,one leg at 30 degrees to the other and jam-jar NHS specs?

4. Not that I remember. Pear shaped but with a nice face - quite pretty I seem to remember - or was that being locked away?!?!

5. Dealt with one or two cases a long while back but hope info is still current...

1 What is the make of Boot that is issued for these reasons?

All depends on which is the best for you. No point spending tax payers money on boots that make the problem worse (unless your RAF then they just waste money on badges etc. etc.)

2 What is the correct procedure for obtaining these boots, as QM dept not very sympathetic to say least.

As fair as I can remember the boots are purchased by yourself and then claimed back or if the boots can be got through the system, danners, Lowas etc. then Qm's get them and issue them to you.
    Lots of paperwork by doctor and physio so may take some time.

It comes down to how long you can wait, some of the guys just put their hands in their pockets and cracked on. If non issue boots will solve the problem then stick by your guns and get them, don't get put off by Qm or anyone else.

Hope info is still current. let us know if you managed to get the blood from the stone.

6. cheers irons.

will let you of developments. got my appointment in a fortnight.

(just to let you know...obviously not Raf...as i said earlier...i go on exercise and CFTs !!!!!)