Getting into shooting sports while serving...

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Zarathustra, Apr 21, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening all,
    recently I've been thinking about trying to get involved in shooting outside of my work life. The problem is I know no one who does this except for one mate who goes clay pigeon shooting, but he's not serving and lives about 300 miles away.

Does anyone here who is serving shoot in their spare time, or, is there anyone here who started shooting while they were serving (not including normal range stuff while working). If so could anyone give me any insight on how I might get started and what problems I might encounter while trying to do this.

I appreciate that the obvious problem would be safe storage of a fire arm as I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to get a safe (or what ever the correct term is) in my room.

Thanks for any input
  2. What do you want to shoot? There are many ways to start shooting, and it normally involves approaching a local club.

Firearm storage can be easy, as you can use the armoury, with permission.

The catch 22 is getting your FAC.
  3. I'm interested in range work mostly I guess as opposed to clay pigeon shooting and I don't have the real estate for hunting or anything similar.

I'm only down the road from Bisley so will see about speaking to clubs there when I get back to work.
  4. Walk into the ATSC clubhouse and accost someone. The Army club welcome new members and will sort you out in no time. They are target shooters, but once you have a club membership you can get an FAC for more interesting types of shooting....
  5. That being the case why not pop down on Saturday April 1st and have a go at the NRA Open Day. You need to pre-register here:

You will have the opportunity to try many types of rifle and pistol. The HBSA and LERA will be running the Historic Rifle shooting on Century Range and we (HBSA) will have an small Exhibition behind the firing point.

If you ask, most people should know where the Army Club House is.
  6. Thanks for the replies. I wish I'd known about the NRA open day earlier, sadly I've already got plans for the 1st of May watching the Army sink the Navy again
  7. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

I know you have said that you are more interested in range work than clays, but it would definately be worth investigating. There is a clay range in Pirbright, and Bisley has a very good (if a little pricey) clay school with excellent tuition.

There is a military pheasant shoot near Basingstoke with very good daily rates, so the chance of a day or two on pheasant/duck each season is well within grasp if you want to give it a go.
  8. The army has its own section of the British Deer Society if you want to get into stalking, I got my stalking course paid for by the army when I was still in.
    Still shoot at my old army clay shoot. Unfortunately the rifle club has folded.
    As stated an FAC is easy to get as you can use the unit armoury.
    Have fun
  9. There are mil shoots on all the training areas in your area.
    There are ranges & clubs a plenty, round here!
    Google for aldershot pistol & rifle club, no pistols but a good pistol calibre gallery club.
    feel free to drop me a PM
  10. Do you know what sort of shooting you want to do? May be an idea to wander round Bisley on a weekend and have a look at what's going on. Most shooters are pretty friendly if you ask questions...

We have a number of active serving members shooting Highpower and Civ Service Rifle with us (although they're RN, RM & RAF...)
  11. You wouldn't have to get a safe in your room. Use the armoury. All it takes is the correct paperwork, sanctioned by the Adjt and you can store your rifles/shotguns in your own Coy armoury. Most Bdes have their own clay shooting clubs and some even have wildfowling and stalking clubs. You can do your DSC1 (deer stalking ticket) and claim it back on learning credits.

The army is your oyster regarding shooting sports.
  12. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

I used to keep all my kit in the armoury, the only downside is fuckwit orderly officers picking up your pistol / rifle and playing with it.
  13. Yup. I was the CQMS so mine were under my own supervision so to speak but the amount of ROO's who went straight for my shooters going 'Oohh, what's this?' as they stuck their greasy mitts all over my beauties was unbelievable.

Saying that though, a few fingerprints is a small price to pay for the most secure storage facility going. Especially when you have access to the keys 24/7.
  14. Cheers for the replies guys
  15. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

Finger prints I could deal with, dry firing my precision beauts was a cnuts trick, and fcuking around with the sights etc.

Saying that I'd be the same if I saw shiney shiney in the armoury that I'd not seen before.