Getting IEng with EC(UK) - What do they ask in the interview

Discussion in 'REME' started by biffchit, Jun 18, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Papping myself. I have my interview coming up soon to get my IEng status but I havent got a clue what to expect. Anybody have a clue about what goes on in the interview?

Cheers :)

ps: Why is it that the REME shout out about us striving for accreditation and about it being a requirement for a Tiffy etc......but then say no to paying for it for us? Cant be much of a requirement can it :( ?????? Yep, I know it will benefit me in the long run but it just bugs me that they try to say it is essential etc.... but do nothing to help us out. It aint that cheap you know. Sorry, whinging again :) Back to the interview......
  2. Good Luck with the interview. You will no doubt have numerous views on how we all did it and what we were asked. be yourself and enjoy it. If you can find common ground and satisfy the old blokes and make them feel great you will easily pass. oh and the rollocks about DES, yeah its shite and they want this and want that but F^$^ em. do it for yourself
  3. You will usually find that the very first question you are asked is along the lines of:

"What engineering theory and principles do you use in your everday role?", this can initially seem quite daunting, but have a good think about an answer to this.

The best preparation that you can do is print off the IEng requirements sheet on the ECUK website, then go through each one and attempt to identify a suitable example from your recent work that will prove your competance in that particular area. This is quite a time consumming process, but it is very good pre-interview preperation and will definately assist you in answering their questions.

Next, have a typed copy of your development plan with you that you can give to them.

Finally, relax and try not to worry too much. By successfully attaining Artificer status you have all the required attributes to gain IEng you just need to conduct the preperation to prove that to the panel on the day. You may find that at the end of the interview (about 40 mins), even though they cannot tell you their recommendation, they will leave you in know doubt if you have performed well :wink:

Good luck.
  4. My recent PRI was based entirely on the cross matching sheet I filled in. The areas where there seemed to not be enough detail were the areas I was interviewed on. The interviewers were great and teased all the answers from me. It was very relaxed which was good as I also was papping it before I went in.

As for the cost, contact your tax man and you will get something done to your tax code to compensate you.

PM me for details if required.
  5. I did hear that there are two locations in the south for these interviews, One in London and the other in Southampton. The London one is a grilling whereas the Southampton one is ok. Anyone else heard this? Got mine to do at some stage as well.
  6. Yeah, I know of a guy who was grilled by some of the southern interviewers, not sure where tho'. I had mine up north.