Getting harassed by a Debt Collection Agency called Newman and co

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by King-walt, Mar 23, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The cunts have been calling me everyday for a week asking if I have a reference number and now are emailing me for money I don't owe eBay, even got my feckin name wrong, has any one dealt with these cunts before, everytime I ring up and ask they ask me to confirm an address which I don't live at?

*Subject: Newman & Company on behalf of eBay
    Ref: E31115824

Dear Mick Spender

We write regarding the above reference number and in relation to eBay.

Please contact us on 0113 306 0927 as soon as possible to discuss the matter, please note for compliance reasons we are unable to respond to emails and would therefore ask you to call our office.

If calling from outside of the UK please call 0044 113 306 0927

We look forward to hearing from you.

Newman & Company
    Limewood House, Limewood Way
    Leeds, LS14 1AB
    Commercial and consumer debt recovery agents
    Company Reg : 2641622
    Fax: +44 (0) 113 306 0690
    This email is strictly confidential and intended solely for the addressee.
    It may contain information which is covered by legal professional or other privilege.
    If you are not the intended addressee you must not use, disclose or copy this transmission.
    This email is not intended to impose nor shall it be construed as imposing any legally binding obligation upon Newman & Company.
    Newman & Company gives no representation or warranty as to the accuracy or completeness of the contents of this E-Mail.
    Newman & Company shall not be held liable to any person resulting from the use of any information contained in this E-Mail and shall not be liable to any persons who acts or omits to do anything in reliance upon it.

2. I wonder how I could jam their phonelines just to show them a taste of their own medicine?

3. As good as that would make you feel,don't stoop to their level.Go through the correct channels and do it properly.

• Like Like x 2
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Well you got a number for him? :)

5. Negligent-Discharge

Negligent-Discharge LE Book Reviewer

Google Section 40 of the 1970 Administration of Justice Act. Blah, blah "... it is an offence" etc. Bloody magic piece of legislation that I've quoted to the Bailiffs when they've knocked at the door for a debt left by an old tenant. As soo as you mention Section 40 of the 1970 Administration of Justice Act they don't half shift quickly.

Administration of Justice Act 1970 - Debt Help UK

Let me know how you get on.

6. Surely if they have your name and address wrong, it isnt you they are pursuing!

7. Looks like he's ex -directory.

8. Having told them you are nothing to do with the alleged debt, send them by registered post a list of your charges for answering the door, talking to them on the phone etc. Each will have a standing charge of £50, plus a time-related element. Payment strictly within 7 days, and you always get CCJs against non-payers.

• Like Like x 6
  9. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Not only will this work, but it will work in court if you decide to take it there. It is unlawful under various Acts to chase someone for a debt not owed by them.

• Like Like x 1
  10. See Post#8 above for further details!

11. IIRC, they have also committed an offence under the DP Act, by releasing the third party information to you. The have a duty of care to protect that information, and to ensure that the person they contact is the person who owes the debt. Hence, one may receive a letter addressed to "the occupant" from a DCA, asking to confirm one's name.

That said, you have PM

• Like Like x 1
  12. Alternatively, now you have his address...got round his gaff and front him up and tell him that you will continue to do so until he agrees to leave you alone. I doubt his wife would appreciate him bringing his work home. You could also sign up to anything which ends up sending you flyers, updates, catalogues, etc, etc,. Just give his home address.

13. There's one for sale in that street and they're nice inside. I think it may actually be his. @£250k for a Victorian 4 bed, not bad..even if it is Darlo.

• Like Like x 1