Getting good grounding for SF?

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by ExplosiveKiwi, May 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm 16 now and am probably going to finish 6th-form/college before joining, but after a lot of Googling and a chat with an adviser, I've selected a few roles I'm interested in and just need some honest opinions on them, cutting-out all the typical recruitment sales pitches which make it so tough to decide. Looking at:

- Gunner special observer
    - Royal signals/SFC
    - Para/Pathfinder/SFSG
    - Royal Marine/Recce/ML/SFSG

Was really just hoping to find out which would provide the best grounding for SF, if I even passed the initial course (someone said Special Observers have had 100% failure in the past, etc).

Sorry for soundling like a right muppet - thanks in advance for any helpful answers.
  2. Well this is Arrse so expect a lot of people getting grumpy at you, but I say good luck in whatever you find yourself doing.

Sorry for no practical advice but I have none to give.
  3. Don't know whether my fitness scores are relevant right now but will slip them in just to give a general idea.

1.5-miler - 9:24 (set 2 weeks ago)
    10k - 51 mins (will retry this week, am slowly getting faster)
    Sit-ups - 77 in 2 mins
    Push-ups - 53 in 2 mins (need some work!)
    Overhand Pull-ups - 9 (need some work, too!)
    Swimming - n/a but swimming 1k with as few breaks as possible, twice a week.
  4. Surely you should think about which role you'd like to do and not put too much emphasis on SF aspirations just yet. Getting a maroon beret / green or other 'coveted' beret is hard enough and it probably wouldn't be wise to set out to with the immediate goal as being one of 'them'. Pick a role you'd enjoy and wouldn't mind sticking with for a long time, that doesn't mean it has to be an easy one, there's just no sense in going para just on the off chance of you getting to pass selection if you'll hate jumping out of planes or going booty if you can't swim. You get the idea.
    Posted after a few beers, standing by to be corrected by someone more experienced.
  5. Dont run before you can walk.......most the lads Ive seen go for SF have gone for a 2-4 years then back to trade/role so think of job first, training second then later in your career see if your suitable along with all arms Para and Bootie courses.
  6. Thanks for the advice so far. Most of it I'll go with and take on board, other than the idea of forgetting about SF for the time being. It's them that have driven me since I can remember, so no doubt it'll remain in my mind even when my primary goal is actually getting into the forces.

Realised how daft I sounded in the first post and have decided the best way to choose is to go on an insight course for each and see where to take it from there.

Thanks again.
  7. Once you wade through the responses from the spanners that either (a) tell you to sort your grammar out first (b) point you towards the careers officer or (c) call you a mong without them ever having tried themselves have a think about this.

If your aiming for a bit more apply that mindset in your first and second phases (assuming your within a support role), ensure you can carry out your primary role confidently and dig out blind when learning your chosen role, you will be far popular and far more employable in your shiny new lid than someone who did the bare minimum whilst waiting for their space on an arduous course.

You need to be putting the time in on your own as well, plenty of running, plenty of food. Don't be afraid to grip any instructors of the para/cdo persuasion and ask questions, only a bellend would **** you off.

Regardless of what's said there's nothing wrong with aiming higher, I know someone who went off badge collecting after tossing it off for five years playing with horses, nowadays unless your a total tool an arduous course and some time in a decent unit can carry you a long way, you'll smash junior promotion cadres for one and you get nice busy tours :)
  8. That's brilliant, thanks. To be honest, I was moving in the direction of Royal Marines in the first place and am pretty driven for that right now. Two years on general duties and the chance to go 'badge collecting' awaits - hopefully recon or assault engineer.

It's not looking likely with these cuts now but, just in case, is Para training a speciality or can anyone go for their 'wings'?
  9. Once you have concentrated on your trade then if you are fit enough and go through the initial screening then you can try for All arms Commando or thing is when you finish your phase 2 course look for a posting with 16 Bde (you might find upgraders or those on Senior courses at the Phase 2 establishment who can advise you- I know plenty of badged up lads who are on Tiffy courses who do SF PT at Bordon and RE have similar lads on courses aswell) When I was in 16Bde we wanted our young VMs to spend at least 1 year doing trade before going on P Coy but in that year they did extra PT and the badged up lads used to give them extra PT to help them said earlier dont run before you can walk......get in see what standards your at and theres plenty of lads who will assist said by Hector theres a lot of prep you can do yourself............Ive known a few badge collecting VMs whos done there PTI, Bootie and P Coy so it can be done..............they still hate being called HATS by Para Reg lads though.
  10. be a soldier first, get a good grounding first, keep your aspirations to yourself, and work like the world is watching, aspire to do well in everything no matter how meaningless it appears at the time, be a team player, learn self control, discipline and know when to shut up. Be modest and humble, when you feel ready for it train, anyone asks you are doing a charity gig, triathlon or dont tell em. You will meet people who will be jealous of you, or who have failed and are bitter and twisted. A true measure of your worth is soon as the CO signs your consent form, you will end up on every exercise, guard to **** up your training, work harder, and above all be a team player.

There are soldiers currently that dont wear lids or have fancy badges and are fitter, wiser and just as good as them prehaps better, use these as your role models. Just keep your aspirations secret for as long as you can, you have three years to kick before you can volunteer.

Work hard, be a team player, be humble

• Like Like x 1
  11. I refer you back to The Irons answer. You will not go SF immediately, nor should you even consider it. Get the basics sorted, learn your job, then when you have that under your belt think about SF selection. As he said 4 or 5 years experience is probably a sensible timescale.
  12. Many thanks for this advice - will focus on getting on a PRMC and take it from there. Obviously Commando RT is hard enough as it is, so will focus on that entirely and keep my head down. Will continue on this thread if it gets bumped in the future but won't talk SF anywhere anymore.

Have read and taken-aboard everything written, sorry for not replying to individual comments. Key points, as written, then: Pass basic/RT, see where strengths & weaknesses lie; don't boast/talk about aspirations to anyone (other than when you get 3-6 years down the line and have to speak to your CO about it, but still don't say to anyone else); act as though you're always under watchful eyes - be your best; work hard, and get on in a team; learn your job/trade etc etc...