Getting fit

martync06

Swinger
I have had worse comments thrown at me before, so that was nothing.

I just don't see why weight matters so much, it didn't 40 odd years ago, so why should it now.
I know in myself that i can do it, just gotta gain the weight then prove it.

martync06 said:
I just don't see why weight matters so much, it didn't 40 odd years ago, so why should it now.
Low body mass has always been an issue in the Army, my father was sent away to beef up a bit in 1952. Bear in mind that food was in short supply then, but he managed it, and went on to serve for over thirty years.
I'm only slim myself, at 68kg/10 stone 10lb and 5ft 11", no offence intended, but 8 stone at 5ft 10" really is a bit frail.
Get yourself some free weights and increase your protein intake, nothing fancy, just plenty of milk, eggs and fish. Bulking up on burgers and crap fatty food isn't the best way to go.

matty198622

Old-Salt
hi mate im not actually a soldier yet im in the process of joining, i used to have the problems of gaining weight whilst trying not to get fat!! i train alot so do lose weight rapidly and i imagine if your looking to join up you`ll be working your balls off too!! anyway ive tried allsorts but you can get supplement shakes which aid growth in weight by upping your calorie, carb, protein and creatine intake ive found that cyclone by maximuscle works a treat i put on 8lb in a week when i first started using it as part of a controlled diet. may be worth a shot if you`ve tried most things.

martync06 get yourself a thicker skin, not only will it help with the weight problem but will serve you in good stead when you do get in as you'll have to take a lot worse than being called a skinny git. Oh and try some complan or such like to help with weight gain.Your local health food store should be able to help.Be wary of some of the 'body building' supplements.Creatine can help but you should research it before using it.

Jonathans

Old-Salt
martync06 said:
I am 8 stone, around 50kg, it has kind of hacked me off a little bit because i don't see why wight matters, surely I would put the wieight on by the time i have completed basic?
But i suppose there are reasons.
im 5'8 and i weigh about 57kg, they haven't said anything about needing to bulk up or that i was underweight...

Anyway I suggest you increase your protein intake and keep away from junk foods like mc'dz.

gl

Edited: kg

Superdood

Old-Salt
My advice to potential recruits worried about fitness is to carry out a regular fitness program so it becomes part of your daily routine - it should not be just on the ramp up to joining. A mix is best - long, medium and short distance runs, explosive activity (sprints) and all round upper body strength are important - this should include swimming. The fitter you are at the start the less prone you will be to injury and it will make it much easier for you to cope with running with weight. Remember your joining a team so help your less fit muckers.

martync06

Swinger
Jonathans said:
martync06 said:
I am 8 stone, around 50kg, it has kind of hacked me off a little bit because i don't see why wight matters, surely I would put the wieight on by the time i have completed basic?
But i suppose there are reasons.
im 5'8 and i weigh about 57lb, they haven't said anything about needing to bulk up or that i was underweight...

Anyway I suggest you increase your protein intake and keep away from junk foods like mc'dz.

gl
I think you mean 57kg??

dingerr said:
squigeypie said:
martync06 said:
I am at the application stage of joining the army, Got to take the forms in on thursday. I want to get into logistics as a driver.
On the fitness side of things, I have been running for a mile every other day and i have got it down to 6 minutes, not sure what else i need to be able to do to pass selection, can anyone help?
why rlc? im not knocking them, u can drive in any arm
Quite true - but i am knocking them - this is now the most pointless trade in the british army and brings nothing to the table anymore a total waste of your time unless your IQ is no higher than a brick, and i wouldn't join the RLC either (unless Ammo Tech). Much as i hate to admit it RE is probably one of the best if you are looking for more trade orientated rather than fighting orientated.
Martyn,

Good on you for wanting to be an RLC Driver (I by the way am not a Driver by trade but I am in the RLC).

Dingerr,

How is driver the most pointless trade in the Army - an earlier poster was keen to point out that you can drive in any arm of the army, which of course is quite correct. It is however, not correct to state that any arm can fulfil the range of reponsibilities that an RLC Driver has. How would the infantry react if suddenly they were asked to stop fighting as two-thirds of their strength were to be requesitioned to deliver spares for the REME.

The Driver CEG is the backbone of the RLC, I do agree with your Royal Engineer observation as a good corps to join, which brings me nicely onto your comment about Ammunition Technician being a good trade within the RLC. As I understand it, this particular CEG will will shortly be the preserve of the Royal Engineers anyway.

Fallschirmjager said:
You don't necessarily need a passport to get into the army as you can apply for one whilst in training. You don't have to join a gym, your'e only joining the RLC and your fitness doesn't have to be to that high a standard.
The RLC is awash with useless ill-disciplined layabouts, and it is comments like this that will perpetuate this treend.

You should aim to be the best soldier that you can be - whether you are joining the RLC or the SAS. Do not subscribe to these types of views as they will be your undoing when you meet your first RLC Sergeant Major.

A person who incidentally will almost certainly not agree with FSJ.

Latest Threads