Getting fit

martync06

Swinger
I want to be at a good level of fitness to pass selection, then i can maintain and improve that fitness once i am in basic training and beyond.

Fallschirmjager said:
martync06 said:
I am at the application stage of joining the army, Got to take the forms in on thursday. I want to get into logistics as a driver.
On the fitness side of things, I have been running for a mile every other day and i have got it down to 6 minutes, not sure what else i need to be able to do to pass selection, can anyone help?
I think you need to look at his initial question again. He's not looking to enter the next Olympic Games.
Again I don't think I said that either...

Do you play any team sports? Rugby, football, hockey etc? 5-a-side footie is a good and cheap aerobic session which'll keep your general fitness to a reasonable standard. Anything where you interact and compete with others has to be better than solo workouts.

sniper_bob said:
Do you play any team sports? Rugby, football, hockey etc? 5-a-side footie is a good and cheap aerobic session which'll keep your general fitness to a reasonable standard. Anything where you interact and compete with others has to be better than solo workouts.
Agreed! Rugby all the way!

Jonathans

Old-Salt
DesktopCommando said:
Dont know about in training at moment but you need to do as a personal fitness test.

44 situps in 2 minutes.
40 press-ups in 2 minutes.
A mile and a half in 10.30 minutes
that would be so if you were applying to be an officer.

The soldier's fitness criteria is less demanding ;)

Fallschirmjager said:
To get into the RLC you are more then fit enough already.
Bit cheeky. I know a few Para Regt guys who have joinded the RLC.

lastresort

Old-Salt
MartynC

I don't run as fast as you (not yet) as I'm an oldie lardarrse, but... the sit ups and pressups are really not that difficult. What's working for me (though you can take it or leave it as I'm not in yet either), is to stick a bit of paper to the fridge, with the run time at 1.5 miles (don't forget the 800m warmup befrore you start timing), the number of pressups and situps.

The run time is coming along slowly, but the pressups and situps improved really dramatically in the first two months, so I'm past the passmark and getting better. Plus if I don't do it, Mrs. LR can see it from the chart and takes the p1ss.

Whatever you do, it takes time. Best of luck with the future.

Jonathans said:
DesktopCommando said:
Dont know about in training at moment but you need to do as a personal fitness test.

44 situps in 2 minutes.
40 press-ups in 2 minutes.
A mile and a half in 10.30 minutes
that would be so if you were applying to be an officer.

The soldier's fitness criteria is less demanding ;)
What the fcuk are you going on about? Do you know what you are talking about? That is the basic standard of fitness that is tested bi-annualy for soldiers called the PFT. Nothing to do with officers and soldiers, that is for all. And its 44 press ups and 50 sit ups, not as quoted above.

martync06

Swinger
I am going into the careers office tomorrow, I am going to ask for a fitness programme and what the requirements are to pass selection. as there is alot of differing opinions.
I think i read, that for logistics the 1.5 mile requirement is 12 minutes, but not really sure if that is true.
Also i haven't read that there is a set number for press ups etc, i thaught it was best effort. so as long as you just go for it and give the best you have then you will pass.
Also do you have to do the jerry can lift or is that in basic training?

wasnt entirely sure, being bit older, but cheers for the correction.

And training has changed in quite a bit, in regards to requirement to pass out.

Theres definitely loads of newbies out of phase 2, who cant complete a PFT or CFT.

Not having a go at you there DTC- at that lad who obviously is not in the Army yet mentioning that that is the pass standards for Officers and not Soldiers!!

www.armyfit.mod.uk

Hi Marty, this website is aimed at the TA, but as the fitness standards* are the same as the Regular Army, this will give you a progressive fitness programme to build you up to the required levels.

*being the key word

martync06 said:
I dont play any team sports last time i did that was about 4 years ago.
Strongly recommend that you start. Teamwork will stand you in very good stead in your future career - best of luck btw.

Aeneas

Crow
In my opinion, it shouldn't be about "just passing the standard required for selection."

It should be about working as hard as you can to get your time down to the lowest level possible and get your pressups/situps built up for a couple of reasons.

Firstly personal pride. Secondly, at basic training the instructors might look more favourably upon someone who has put the work in to get themselves fit in preparation for the course. Thirdly, on basic training most people will worry about fitness and it is the thing they dread about it. If you go in that more prepared than the rest you will breeze through it making life that little bit easier in the future.

martync06 said:
I am going into the careers office tomorrow, I am going to ask for a fitness programme and what the requirements are to pass selection. as there is alot of differing opinions.
I think i read, that for logistics the 1.5 mile requirement is 12 minutes, but not really sure if that is true.
Also i haven't read that there is a set number for press ups etc, i thaught it was best effort. so as long as you just go for it and give the best you have then you will pass.
Also do you have to do the jerry can lift or is that in basic training?
The PFT is a service test and the same standard is required across the Army, regardless of arm or corps. The standard required only changes dependent on if male/female and age.

However it would be folly to attempt a Regt such as the Paras with only this base level of fitness.

Never understood why the Paras have to be so fit, gravity does all the work for them - idle toads :headbang: (hunkered down, lid on awaiting incoming)

squigeypie

War Hero
martync06 said:
I am at the application stage of joining the army, Got to take the forms in on thursday. I want to get into logistics as a driver.
On the fitness side of things, I have been running for a mile every other day and i have got it down to 6 minutes, not sure what else i need to be able to do to pass selection, can anyone help?
why rlc? im not knocking them, u can drive in any arm

squigeypie said:
martync06 said:
why rlc? im not knocking them, u can drive in any arm
Quite true - but i am knocking them - this is now the most pointless trade in the british army and brings nothing to the table anymore a total waste of your time unless your IQ is no higher than a brick, and i wouldn't join the RLC either (unless Ammo Tech). Much as i hate to admit it RE is probably one of the best if you are looking for more trade orientated rather than fighting orientated.

martync06

Swinger
Went to the army careers office yesterday, whilst speaking to someone in there, they told me that the minimum time is 12 mins, but i should try and do it quicker as it makes it easier later on in Basic.
one thing i didn't know though was there was a minimum weight requirement, i have got to put 3kg so they can progress my application.

squigeypie

War Hero
martync06 said:
Went to the army careers office yesterday, whilst speaking to someone in there, they told me that the minimum time is 12 mins, but i should try and do it quicker as it makes it easier later on in Basic.
one thing i didn't know though was there was a minimum weight requirement, i have got to put 3kg so they can progress my application.
spend a week in macdonalds going supersize you'll gain half a stone in a week.

Latest Threads