Getting Fit & staying fit!

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by uk_numpty, Dec 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I need to get fit & loose a few pounds mostly round my stomach.
    Am doing asorted situp's, but are their anyother exercises i could try?

Going to a gym roughly every other day, work permitting.
    And was thinking of working out using the gym gear where i'm based, mostly cross-trainer & treadmill.
    Eatting better, less fatty food & more fruit, anything else to try?

Any serious suggestions most welcome.

2. For the purposes of losing weight sit-ups are pretty much a waste of time, and you can't lose fat from any particular area - spot reduction doesn't exist. What you want is something which feels as easy as possible (so that you can do a lot of it), makes you breathe hard (so that you burn a lot of calories), coupled with a bulky low-calorie diet (so you don't feel hungry, and stick to it).

In a nutshell, walking, water porridge and cabbage.

3. As the man says sit up's and press up' etc will not make you lose weight,Get out for a nice run,put some effort in breathe heavy, burn calories and lose weight !

4. Lots of low intensity *long* duration CV; weather permitting for some - swimming, cycling, hiking, walking & 'steady state' running (a pace you can hold a conversation at for 45-60-90min). It's less stress on the body as well so you can typically do more sessions / week.

Make exercise a part of your daily routine so that doing it consistently comes as natural to you as showering & brushing your teeth. The key is doing physical activity that you obviously enjoy / doesn't require lots of time to get to & fro.

Bin the beer, lots of veg & soup. And as said acquire a taste for porridge.

5. running and kettlebells
    oh and buy a skipping rope too

once you get the hang of it its knackering but oh so good
    plus theres something magical about slinging a cannonball
    around the house before the missus or kids have got up in the morning :D

6. If you can get access to one the best way of losing calories is by putting some time in on a cross trainer, maintaining a 60% of your max heart rate. The next best thing is as mentioned, strap on some trainers and get the miles in!

7. It all comes down to LSD. Long Steady Distances. Get on the cross trainer or tarmac but you've got to put the miles in.

8. There hundreds of ways to loose weight.but it basically boils down to expend more calories than you consume.
    Try to find a10k race in your area,enter it.This will give you a bit of incentive.If you go on www.runnersworld.co.uk they have all types of training schedules that are tailored to you.

9. Assuming you're a couch potato that's not about to get up and start running for 45mins at a time like those above have suggested (Get real, lads. Remember some people are starting from scratch.):

1. For the time being, use the gym. If you've been a biff in recent years, until you get used to it, you're going to hate working out enough without being cold and wet. Don't worry about looking like a fat sack of shite, the fact of the matter is nobody's going to be paying any attention to you. They'll all be too busy either breathing out of their hoops themselves or admiring themselves in a mirror. What's more you'll have a gym queen (instructor) on-hand to give you a fitness assessment and workout routines geared towards where you are and where you want to be. That having been said- this what you'd probably be told:

2. Mix up the routines. Try to figure out at least 2 workouts that have different purposes. Like the others have said, sit-ups aren't going to make the gut fade. Only cardiovascular exercise will do that for you. If you really are out of shape, I'm going to suggest that running is likely to make you miserable until you've built up a certain degree of fitness so for the time being, head for the rower, cross trainer, the exercise bike, the stairmaster and anything else you can find that'll make you sweat and pant like a rapist. It's much lower impact and you'll be able to go longer/harder. If you can find 3 or 4 C-V exercises, try and do just 8-10mins on each at a resistance level that would allow you to just about be able to hold a conversation.

3. In the longer term, though, you're going to need to start running. If you're starting from scratch, interval training/Fartlek is a good way to get into it. If you're really a biff, just pick a 2/3min walk and a 1 min jog and repeat for 15/20min, Increase the speed/ run lengths as required to keep up similar effort levels. Once you've gotten used to sweating a bit, try these podcasts:

http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/page4/files/category-7.html

4. Don't give up the sit-ups etc. but don't make them the cornerstone of your regimen. Think of these sort of exercises as a means to augment your ability to conduct the CV exercise. For example, a weak core will affect your ability to run properly and efficiently and just a few minutes' worth of drills will make a world of difference. Especially useful would be to throw in squats, lunges, planks, and barbell rows. No more than 2 sets of 12 reps (30 seconds for the planks) at first- remember to rest between sets.

5. Additionally, incorporate some strength training for arms/legs. It helps with the workouts, boosts your metabolism and breaks up the monotony. Hit a couple of the CV exercises for 15mins or so, go to some weights for 10-15min (better to use the machines if you don't know what you're doing with free weights) and then back to some other CV exercise for another 15 mins. After the better part of a decade where the only exercise I got was jogging past the salad bar I was given routines like this:

Menu A
    5min row
    10min bike
    15min Fartlek (treadmill)
    2x12 Chest Press (30 sec rest between sets)
    2x12 Wide-grip Lateral Pull (30 sec)
    2x12 Shoulder Press (30 sec)
    10 min Step
    10 min Elliptical

Menu B
    5min row
    10min recumbent bike
    5min arm cycle
    2x12 Leg Curl
    2x12 Leg Extension
    3x12 Ab curl
    10 min wave ( http://www.technogym.com/gb/viewdoc.asp?co_id=164 )
    8min row

Menu C
    5min row
    2x12 Squats (With or without loads)
    2x12 Lunge
    2x12 Dead row
    3x12 narrow-grip Lateral Pull
    2x12 barbell row
    2x12 Dorsal raises
    2x12 dips
    2x12 crossover cables
    2x30sec planks
    2x30sec side plank
    2x30sec plank with elbows on Swiss ball

6. As to speeds, loads, timings etc. you're going to have to figure that out for yourself. Don't try to push yourself at 100% effort the whole time. You won't finish and you'll just get p1ssed off. Just be patient- results will come quicker than you think. Like I said, with the CV exercise you should be working out at a level where it should just be still possible to hold a conversation.

7. Lastly, diet is everything. Cals Out > Cals In. Make sure you give yourself a little boost of carbs before the workout and a bit of protein afterwards. Bin the saturated fats (solid at room temp) for unsaturated fat (liquid at room temp) and watch your portion sizes. A 4oz serving of meat is all you need at a meal. Try and arrange your plate so it's 1/4 meat, 1/4 starch, 1/2 veggies. (Note- Potatoes/rice etc are NOT veggies) and lastly, take a look at the nutritional info on things and try to equate them to the energy burn in your workouts. You'll soon learn to forgo that Mars bar when you realise that it's cost you the equivalent of a 25min run or half an hour on an exercise bike.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Eat less and I mean a LOT less, do about an hour of cardio excercise 4 times a week - HR above 135ish for 30 minutes sort of thing - do some weights, mainly to have a little rest from the fecking cardio crap and keep doing it.

It's a complete and utter bastard though you do start to feel quite good about two months in.

11. If your getting bored of just going to the gym try mixing it up with some swimming. One of the best CV exercises there is and very little chance of injury. Fit in at least one swim a week and depending on your ability as a swimmer try to maintain a steady pace for the whole session. If your starting at a very unfit level start at just 20min per session. The amount of time spent on the swim is more important than the amount of lengths completed. The most important thing to remember is not to stop. Breast stroke is the easiest stroke to maintain a steady pace. As your fitness improves lengthen the session by 5min so eventually you will be swimming for 45-50 min.

Another tip is to keep a diary. Take your measurements such as weight and waist size and set small, achievable goals (such as lose 1/2 stone in 3 weeks) Take a before picture and in 12-16 weeks time hopefully you will be a changed man.

12. There is some good advice in here. I would say the hardest bit is "the routine".

My addition to the above advice, is make sure you are just doing some type of phys minimum of 3-4 times a week and keep it up. If you can keep the routine going for a month, it will suddenly become a part of your daily life that you get on with. I found this to be the hardest part when I decided to jump on the fitness wagon!

13. I'm not sure how I feel about Kettlebells, but I noticed that Argos have starting selling them. Bit light, but competitively priced.

14. I've had discussions with people on here and full blown arguments with people in real life.

What's so bloody marvelous about a dumb bell with a centre of gravity further away then a normal dumb bell.

That isn't completely directed at you gobby.

15. I know - I think conceptually they are a bit pump, but I'm past the point of trying to argue :lol: The only "advantage" I could come up with was that if the handle on a kettlebell was very grippy you could give yourself a mechanical advantage/disadvantage on exercises like bicep curls, front raises and lateral raises by changing the position of the mass. Taking a hold that puts the mass into the middle of your forearm reduces the load, taking a hold that extends the load out and away increases it. But this would (I think) tax your forearms and wreck the skin on your hands more than is consistent with working the other muscles.

There are also more dissenting voices pointing out that loading a ballistic whole body movement with a weight in one hand will easily f*ck up your shoulder.

But hey, whatever works a man's mojo. I expect lots of Kettlebells in car boot sales very shortly.