Getting FIT, losing Weight

I am moderately fit, play golf and old mans football. Anyhoo, decided to up the ante and started running again, did a mile and a half yesterday and a mile and a half this morning, not at a particularly fast pace. Christ, I was chin strapped.My lower back is going crazy, with what I presume is stiffness, how long to recover from the stiffness at 53 years old ?
Will use tomorrow as a rest day, supposed to be playing golf on Friday, no chance that is happening at present.
Not as long as it does at 57! I also include golf in my balanced exercise plan that includes running and trail walking. I’ve also had lower back problems probably caused by strimming the garden but it seems to be the golf that causes it to flare up so I’m limiting it to nine holes once a week.

Not as long as it does at 57! I also include golf in my balanced exercise plan that includes running and trail walking. I’ve also had lower back problems probably caused by strimming the garden but it seems to be the golf that causes it to flare up so I’m limiting it to nine holes once a week.
I've never had a back problem, so I am praying that it's just bad stiffness. Life won't be worth living if I can't play golf. It was bad enough when the lockdown was in full swing. (SWIDT)

I've never had a back problem, so I am praying that it's just bad stiffness. Life won't be worth living if I can't play golf. It was bad enough when the lockdown was in full swing. (SWIDT)
Give it a few days of not running & gentle stretching.

I'm a fairly fit 36 year old - but If I've been on holiday and go for a trot on my return I sometimes get a stiff lower back.

It usually clears up fairly quickly.

Give it a few days of not running & gentle stretching.

I'm a fairly fit 36 year old - but If I've been on holiday and go for a trot on my return I sometimes get a stiff lower back.

It usually clears up fairly quickly.
That's what I am hoping mate. With me, usually stiffness is worse the second day after exercise, so absolutely dreading tomorrow.

That's what I am hoping mate. With me, usually stiffness is worse the second day after exercise, so absolutely dreading tomorrow.
Just give it a few days. As silly as it sounds, have a look at some Pilates videos online - a pilates workout can get the heart working surprisingly hard.

I did it for a while and it sorted me out - and it's like yoga, but without all the chakra alignment / magical bullcrap.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
bad move, you body isn't set up for running anymore without a fair bit of work. your whole middle despite the golf will have relaxed over the years andmight even have given you a slight curvature. .

as they say walk before you can can run, its an all over exercise and less destructive, then after a few weeks of that run between lamp posts at intervals slowly increasing the running lamp posts over the walking ones.

strengthen the back with planking, sit ups, calisthenics etc.. walk around holding it in to strengthen the core abdominals.

lucky the golf didn't wreck your back by setting your muscles in one direction.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
second day is usual when you have pushed a muscle group further than it wants and it is a form of bruising. take a half dose of brufen or paracetamol to keep the body settled and reduce the inflamation.

Try yoga/Pilates, I was sceptical when a kayaking coach recommended it, but I recover faster and reach moves I used to do 20 years ago, but couldn't recently. Core strength and stability have improved too...

Glad to report that my aching body is much better tonight, hopefully after a good night's kip, should be able to grace the golf course tomorrow.
Cheers for the advice and tips chaps.

I'm doing 15 miles a week running. Started weights again on Tuesday after a 5 month brake 9still in agony as I've lost my upper body and core strength. I eat two meals a day and I am failing vadly at reducing alcohol at the weekend...................... Works for me.

Grumblegrunt

LE
Book Reviewer
Glad to report that my aching body is much better tonight, hopefully after a good night's kip, should be able to grace the golf course tomorrow.
Cheers for the advice and tips chaps.
one thing that does work, I did a kitchen years ago for a sports therapist who was golf mad and also had a bad back.

he used a headless club to practise his swings and keep his back in check.

bob the electrician spent more time outside than in getting his stance right..

one thing that does work, I did a kitchen years ago for a sports therapist who was golf mad and also had a bad back.

he used a headless club to practise his swings and keep his back in check.

bob the electrician spent more time outside than in getting his stance right..
The back is fine now mate, probably just a shock to the system from the running. I had the dog on a long walk early this morning, will try another mile and a half jog tomorrow, see what goes on with the back.

I started more serious cycling at the beginning of June, I’m now up to 200km each week at an average speed of 18mph. My weight has dropped too by 2 - 3 kg but the most noticeable thing is my cardio-vascular capacity ... much better and very quickly. I’ve read previous posters suggesting not to bother with cycling but it’s impact free, you can coast when you’re chin-strapped and you do improve very soon - which is a massive motivator to keep getting out. It’s a great way to spend a couple of hours - try it !

Latest Threads