GETTING FIT AT 50

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by DB216LOKDVR, Apr 30, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Turned 50 last month and I relised it was nearly 10 years since I had done some proper PT and fitness training

In 2001 I kept on collasping and was diagnosed with CFS and in 2007, I was medically retired with PTSD and other problems.

On my birthday I locked myself away and gave myself a serious talking to.

I immediately joined a gym and have been attending every day for the last 3 weeks.

When I was serving I was a racing snake (the old style BFT 15 minutes squaded run for 1-5 miles and the 1-5 miles best effort in under 11-5 minutes, I used to avarage around 9 minutes in boots DMS, puttees, lightweigths, vest PT or sweatshirt). A little under strength in the upper body but never failed on log runs etc, (No problems on CFT) and volunteered for P Coy until I damaged my ankle which resulted in a change of career.

After leaving the Regs I kept very active until I started to collaspe and had CFS problems.

In the last few weeks I have lost over three quarters of a stone bring my weigth down to 11-5 stones. (5FT 7IN tall).

I am double marching on the treadmill for 35 minutes covering 5K,
    20 minutes on the rowing machine best effort at the highest setting,
    Using the fitness wieght machines (various) to increase my upper body strength, (very weak in left arm).
    Followed by a Short swim (or drowning exercise).

Please will a qualified PTI/active sports person advise if I am doing the right type of exercises and training.

It is my intention to try and bring my weigth down to 11 stone, reduce my waist measurments by 4 inches and build up my upper body strength.

Is it possible for a Qualified PTI/active sports person to advise on how to build up the upper body strength in a realisic manner and method.

Thank you

2. Well done. A caution around getting too much 'useful' advice from others - it may not make sense for you. Stick with your program, which sounds first class, and maybe hire a personal trainer for a couple of sessions to put you right on a few things re: form, intensity etc. Above all, don't stop! You don't have to give it max every sesison, just keep on going.

3. Going flat out at work in 2001, I believed caused the CFS problems, both physically and mentally. I used to crash out and nose dive into the ground without warning. (The lads used to run a book of when it would happen).

I need to beat my illness but I don't want to over do it and start the collasping problems again, but by the same token I need to see and feel I am inproving to maintain my motivation.

Are there any Forces PTI's in the Milton Keynes area who would be prepared to have a face to face chat and write me a training programme?

4. Britmilfit?

5. Unfortuntley not in MK at this time and the nearest location are to far to travel and train, if I put 100% in at a training session I will not be fit enought to drive back home at the moment.

If they come closer or to MK, I will be the first in the queue.

I have contacted them a few times asking for training session in MK but no joy as yet.

Are there any Milton Keynes based Rifles TA PTI's on the arrse site?

6. I will have to purchase a copy of that.

I spoke to my GP today and asked if he had a set of body fat calipers, he laughted and said that was not the way to measure body fat as it was not reliable, its all BMI now apparently.

7. BMI again, BMI is a unreliable tool used by doctors to scare the obese, i quote "Some argue that the error in the BMI[16] is significant and so pervasive that it is not generally useful in evaluation of health.[17][18] University of Chicago political science professor Eric Oliver says BMI is a convenient but inaccurate measure of weight, forced onto the populace, and should be revised.[19]

The medical establishment has generally acknowledged some shortcomings of BMI.[20] Because the BMI is dependent only upon weight and height, it makes simplistic assumptions about distribution of muscle and bone mass, and thus may overestimate adiposity on those with more lean body mass (e.g. athletes) while underestimating adiposity on those with less lean body mass (e.g. the elderly).

A 2005 study in America showed that overweight people had a similar relative risk of mortality to normal weight people as defined by BMI"

The best measurement is a set of scales that measures your body fat.

I too am getting fit again after a long injury, the MO has banned me from measruing my weight, he does it once a month and is quite happy as my waistline has dissappeared. Though my weight went down then suddenly went up. This is because I am building body mass. As for the BMI, it says I am obese though I am pretty fit now.

If you can get to a gym you can get fitness assesments done, though I urge on the side of caution that they have gym memberships to sell.

Dont get hung up on BMI, just do what you are doing, and take plenty of rest as well.

Proud to see you giving it a go again, so stop reading and get on that road.

8. In the late 90's (before the CFS problems) I attended the National Sport Centre at Lillishall and I completes a rehabilition programme to strengthen my ankle with the Professional Football Assc.

On day one they gave me a complete medical and measured my body fat with an instrument (a big pair of calipers with a gauge on one end and it gave a pergentage of body fat.

I am trying to find a similar instrument to measure my body fat and compare with the 90's figure.

I have joined a gym who have personnal trainers touting for customers, and I have observed them, I am not imprested as they seem to consontrate on over weight ladies of a certain age.

Due to the PTSD issue I have, I find it difficult to relate to some people (or some people find me difficult) but do not seem to have a proplem with ex/serving forces personnel (they may disagree) due to being able to relate to them, hence why I am trying to seek out a qualified Military PTI in the MK area

The BMI chart states I am in the correct area for my height and weight. (but I have excessive fat around my waist and a chart does not explaine the weakness in my left arm).

9. You could do worse than buy a WI Fit. I sh*t you not. The kids got me on it (and developed a character complete with beer belly and balding pate- little darlings). Okay, it's not the real exercise you and I associate with being racing snakes who did BFTs in boots, puttees and denims, but as a fun supplement, I can certainly recommend it. Only thing is, you might need a junior member of the family to talkyou through the options, it's not plug in and go as we would understand it. By the way, I'm in full sympathy and have taken up cycling to work............... :)

10. You could try joining up again, in the reserves. From experience, having a pulse in some cases, was the clincher on the medical. I do know a couple of guys who have rejoined later in life, who got over med problems. I was offered a med discharge in a long time ago, because of recurring knee problems and numerous operations but when I left, I joined the TA after a break of 3 years and my knees had recovered sufficiently to get through the medical and have held up ever since, although they grate a bit. 1 Sqn (Scaleys) in MK area, and Aylesbury, Rifles in NOrthampton I think. or somewhere around and RAF reserves at Benson and Northolt.

11. Good for you DB. Most people have given up in their 40s, using age or medical conditions to sit on their arses. I was 50 last year and still train hard, 3 weights sessions and 2 nights in the dojo every week and plan to head back into the hills now summers here. Your battle wont be with fitness, it'll be with your waistline and your mind. I think you need to be careful you dont'overdo it and burn yourself out but on the other hand you need to push hard enough to see gains. Problem with the gym is that working on their own most people dont push themselves hard enough, so do something with other people, mix up the activities to keep it interesting,
    and above all......enjoy it.

12. well done for getting back on it!! i think because of your previous medical problems it would be wise to consult a fitness professional and maybe even a gp just to see what type of exercises would suit your ability.

good luck and keep it up :)