Getting fit again in the quickest time possible

Discussion in 'The ARRSE Hole' started by platoonmong, Feb 24, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've recently set the ball rolling to rejoin the TA infantry after 2 years out, during which I did absolutely no phys.

I've been training now for 2 weeks, 5 nights a week.

I've been doing one session of cardio (3 mile run) and 30 minutes of strength training (press-ups, bicep curls and sit-ups).

I've noticed a little improvement, but not a lot.

I'm currently running 1.5 miles in just over 11 minutes, which is ok because of my age (I think). But I would like to be a lot fitter as I want to do another tour and also in case they ask me along on a weekend or two whilst I'm waiting for my paperwork to come through from Glasgow.

I wonder if any PTIs on here could help me work out a program that will help get me infantry fit in around a month or so, possibly with some tabbing involved. I will of course ask for advice when I'm at the unit doing my re-joining admin, but ideally I'd like to be fit before then as I don't want to give the impression of being an idle cunt.
  2. Hmmm...
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Yeah thanks for that, funnily enough, I'd never needed to hump ECM and a gimpy about when I'm sat infront of a desk.

So never felt the need to put a 50lbs bergan on when I was a 100% CIVVY.
  4. What about going for a little jog?

Anyway, use the search function and it should lead you to threads such as 'fitness q's and 1.5m run times' which contains plenty of helpful advice.
  5. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

If you've really done nothing for 2 years, you'll need at least 3 months to get fit. Try to crack it in a month and you're likely to get injured and/or ill.
  6. Ally yourself to the PTI and have him falsify your PFA results. It works for me. I've not passed a mandated test in 5 years as I'm a fat, blanket stacking Monkey cnut. All it costs is a hand-full of AA Batteries and the threat of adding several GSR's to his 1157!
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Why would I do that? I didn't basha up in my garden and cook burger and beans on hexy either.

I'm not looking for PFT times, I would like help with a fitness program, are you a PTI? If so why not help someone who's re-joining.

*edited to remove abuse.

Botherton Lad

Despite not doing anything for two years, I'm not actually that unfit, probably wouldn't take more than 6 weeks or so. I would just rather go having prepared myself rather than turn up breathing out my arse.

With the right advice, I'm sure it would could be done in a month, I've done it in less time before (though a fair bit younger).
  8. Go and do some circuits at your local sporty you idle cunt.

I've not picked up a toppers bergen for a number of years, i still phys it up every day, hangover pending
  9. Any PTIs or do we just want a keyboard-off.
  10. Yeah, I didn't want to do that.

Couldn't be fucking arsed, and as I wasn't anywhere near the forces, I didn't have to.

Now I'm re-joining, I do have to.

Not difficult is it.
  11. What were our choices again?
  12. Offer helpful advice, or internet argument.

Ps. You cunt.

13. The "Be honest whats your 1.5 mile run time thread" will reveal lots of suggestions about training - You'll also probably find out when your getting paid this month too if you look hard enough.
  14. Ooh had a look at one of my detractors.

"Run time at selection was 10.21, which is slower than my PB but i had a month off training before selection due to various reasons. My advice would be to not do the press ups every day while your in your early stages, you wont build any more muscle unless you give your body time to recover. Practice for the power bag lifts. I believe it was engineers you said you were going for? I think they have some of the heavier lifts and jerry can carries"

Given I smoke 20 a day,probably twice your age, haven't done any phys for two years, and I'm still only half a minute or so slower than you, I suggest you shut the fuck up you no medals cunt.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. You cant say the word Cunt as its not in the NAAFI - And actually you could have answered your weedy training question by using google or the search function - so run along you STAB Charlie Uniform November Tango

sock puppets - -i shit 'em
    • Like Like x 1