Getting chilli off the hands...

BrunoNoMedals

LE
Kit Reviewer
I'm not a particularly inspired cook, and I like spicy food. As such, I bung chillis in a large portion of my dishes to give them some flavour. This means lots of chillis get chopped by my own fair hand, and this often results in sore eyes, nose, arrse and Little Bruno depending on what gets touched afterwards - no matter how much I scrub with hot soap and water first.

Is there a foolproof way of ensuring that my hands are free from stinging badness before I slip a digit into Mrs Bruno after cooking? Any special detergents I can buy? Or is it as simple as running a bit of milk over them while washing?

T

Tremaine

Maybe.....

Warm sugar water, rise your hands in this solution
Wear rubber/latex gloves :? 8O
Rub olive oil on the hands

Best just to wear latex gloves or washing up gloves. Much better for a jimmy riddle or nookie time, or if you've got contact lenses. :)

Or none of the above, I dunno :oops: I look like a feckin deviant now :x

After washing follow up with alcohol based hand cleaner and wipe off when still wet or a quick rinse with vodka.

The stuff that causes the misery is an oil that is soluable in alcohol.

However prevention is better than cure so buy some disposable gloves FFS!

Apparently if you put some sugar in your hand and a good dollop of cooking oil, massage it all over concentrating on your fingers, wash of with soapy water then do the same with milk it gets it off.

Just as an aside.......chili fingers could make for a fairly entertaining sesh!!!

Take a big handful of chillies and place in a bowl with approx 1/4 litre of olive oil (only a guideline, just make sure it's not too dry or it won't keep). Use a hand blender to blend to a paste. Store in an airtight jar in the fridge, should keep for several months.

Alternatively, man the fuck up. ;)

Blogg said:
After washing follow up with alcohol based hand cleaner and wipe off when still wet or a quick rinse with vodka.

The stuff that causes the misery is an oil that is soluable in alcohol.

However prevention is better than cure so buy some disposable gloves FFS!
Go and wash your mouth out. What a waste. 8O

Pour a little olive oil, or even a bit of milk on your hands. The thing that makes your bellend sting is fat soluble and will be carried off in the oil. Then wash your hands as normal.

Too much faff for me, so I have a team of indian kids working in my kitchen.

K

Kirkz

I always wash my hands with vinegar or lemon juice and then with soap and water after chopping chillies or garlic :)

T

Tremaine

Love how the Site sponsorship and adverts spring up in an uncanny flash on new threads. Anyone seen an Ad for bellends yet :?

No no....you don't have to say it
Don't fcuking say it

Thanks for the advice guys and girls; looks like I'll be buying some latex gloves! Don't think I'll tell the missus why until I really have to, though, as it should keep her on her toes...

Re. the alcohol/milk/cooking oil thing - is that also a sensible method for "pre-cleaning" your chopping board to make sure you don't get chilli oil stuck in there for your next meal preparation?

Try licking your fingers before washing them. Or put a bit of chocolate on them and let the dog lick it off.

I find that a quick rinse with soap and water is usually adequate, and running the chopping board under cold water works too.

Alternatively try breaking the chilis and seeds into oil before cooking and letting repose for a few minutes. Provided you use dry chilis, - I like the little hot indian b'stards that natco sell - then you get less chili spread about. Which chilis do you use?

Make up a batch of chili paste in oil using the spices you like and keep it in the fridge. Then just add a spoonful or three to whatever you are cooking.
This means that you are actually cooking the chilis on fewer occasions ergo fewer problems.

Chili powder is a good alternative though I mix it with a little water or oil before adding to whatever I am cooking. Or put it in the oil before I start cooking.

Finally if all else fails then rub your fingers with a little flour which absorbs the oils and then wash fingers.