Getting barrels blued

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by Pigshyt_Freeman, Oct 30, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ran into an old shooting mate from my teens/20s earlier in the week, many years ago I sold him my first gun, an AYA Yeoman. He's giving up shooting and offered it back to be for £100. Sadly, it appears he's become a bit of a slobby ****** in the intervening years, and he's allowed the barrels to go a bit rusty on the outside (the bores are clean as a whistle)... nothing ridiculous but tatty-looking.

If, out of pure nostalgia, I were to buy the gun, how much could I expect to pay to get the barrels redone, and who does it? The only people I can find advertising online are ones who restore Purdeys and the like.

2. You can get some self cold blue by Phillips (IIRC). It works on 'in the white' I've not tried it on pre blued.

3. Thanks for the suggestion but I've seen the results of that in the past and it looked like someone had painted the thing with a tarbrush.

4. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

The entire London trade (H&H, Purdey, Boss etc.) use a small grandfather/father/son business who are based just outside Uxbridge.

Trade price is about £80 and the results are fantastic, I mean really really fantastic. These guys have over 70 years experience.

Unfortunately they don't do private jobs, but of course if you know someone in the trade, they could always put it through with their next batch.

Cold blue is shit.

5. Throw the barrels into an old hunting rucksack or the type with a waterproof lining for carrying dead bambis and stuff, add: a tin or two of Red Bull, a knife and a saw, a length of steel cable with a handle and a noose (for recovering dead stuff) a short length or barbed wire (it had that wrapped around it's antlers honest guv, i had to shoot it) and two sets of binoculars, then smack **** out of the contents until the red bull tins burst. Then just leave it all in the back of a hot car for three weeks.

Best blue job I've ever done.

6. Ravers

Of course if you want the barrels to look like they were blued by a flid on speed, you could follow the advice above.

There is a reason the best three gunmakers on earth don't blue their own barrels.

It's ******* hard.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Don't think it's because it is hard. It's just an involved process. Essentially I used to do the same thing to big pieces of industrial plant internally.
    I have done some bluing of car parts at home and that was very easy. The only problem with home bluing I can see is the size of your hot tank to take the barrels and the cost. if they are being done for trade for 80 qiud I would suggest they are cheap. Even with a decent mark up (not indecent) The price for rebluing shouldn't be too much.

8. Ravers

I bow to your superior gunmaking knowledge.

9. Not gun making is it. It's just a cleaning and chemical process. Honest.

10. Ravers

Barrels are made of two types of steel (Ribs and tubes rarely come from the same batch) and lots of tin solder. It's really not as straightforward as blueing industrial parts.

You also need to take fine detailed engraving into account which will wear away with normal blueing.

We used to spend around 20 grand a year on blueing. If I could've saved that cash by bringing the process in house I would've.

It's still very much a dark art in the gunmaking world.

11. There's the whole metal prep thing. Polishing them and keeping the lines straight, not rolling over edges or washing out markings/engraving.

12. Thanks for the DIY suggestion, but I have a moderate desire to recapture a bit of my lost youth and the foolishly carefree optimism and unrealistic cheerfulness that went with it, rather than a desire to train myself as a gunmaker.

There is a local gunsmith I have considered asking, but given that the twice he has had hold of a firearm of mine he has made a pig's arse of it (dodgy firing pin in a shotgun, didn't fix the firing pin but tightened the gun up so much you could barely open or close it; malfunctioning trigger on a .243, after he fixed it I took it out to test, cycle the bolt, safety on, release the safety and BANG), I'm disinclined to let him get his shitty mitts on a third.

13. Have you tried someone like Steve Kershaw? No idea if he blues but he may be able to provide sound advice.