Getting back into it!

A little break /something different, from the usual model making seen in these hallowed pages!

As I’m easing myself back into ‘proper’ model making, and as I was given this ‘kit’ as a joke birthday present from a sideways walking mate, I thought I’d give it a go - should only take a few minutes…. Well chums, I thought this might help my motor skills and hand/eye co=ordination, ready for a ‘real kit. Here’s my tale!

Sluban are a ‘Lego’ type block system. However, whereas Lego discourages war-like models (except un-real sci-fi ones), Sluban thrive on them! The rumour is the blocks are compatible too, so if you want to be a naughty Dad/Grandad/Uncle and upset the woke parents………. This kit has 903 parts, some surprisingly small, and is a cross between a set of Lego and a jig-saw puzzle.

Things you will need:
Opposing fingers and thumbs that work. No, REALLY work.
The eyes of a hawk with 20-20 vision. Or a good magnifying glass.
Two in number parallel pliers to separate the small bricks when you make a mistake.
A large tray to make it in, as those bits can fly!
A large tube of Voltarol for your thumb and forefinger joints after each session.

There are no sprues, so the sprue cutter I bought was superfluous. Better just stash it away in the modelling toolbox…. With the new set of mini files. No need for any tools whatsoever. Every brick/block/component was fault-less.

I’ll do the usual box/bag thing, as most of you will not have seen anything so basic since Methusula was a lad. Three bags of bits, in no order that I could see:

After an hour of sorting out similar bits and some severe thumb pain I’d achieved this:

Another hour or so later on another day, this:

And yet another hour or so later - ta da - this! I’m leaving most of the decals (actually stickers) off, as I’ll probably break it down and put it away in its box for a rainy day. I did get the ‘you’re not putting THAT on MY mantlepiece’ look!

The instructions are quite/fairly clear, however, the magnifying glass was needed to check holes/ pins/orientation of blocks etc. Mistakes WILL be made. All in all a very satisfying little interlude. It, or a similar kit, would be an excellent Grandad/Grandkid bonding exercise on Boxing Day - especially if you’d been a tanky and were building a tank model!

More info - for kiddies stocking fillers obviously, here:

Sluban Nuclear Submarine M38-B0391

In the model shop the other day there was a huge ship (Destroyer?)……..! And tanks. And guns!!

ETA just found a huge aircraft carrier model today - 66 euros! And way over 1000 parts!

Attachments

• 1637077647931.jpeg
    1637077647931.jpeg
    267.9 KB · Views: 79
  • 1637077714253.jpeg
    1637077714253.jpeg
    187.9 KB · Views: 70
  • 1637077787580.jpeg
    1637077787580.jpeg
    441.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 1637077881952.jpeg
    1637077881952.jpeg
    176.4 KB · Views: 54
  • 1637078039860.jpeg
    1637078039860.jpeg
    366.3 KB · Views: 55
  • 1637078505445.jpeg
    1637078505445.jpeg
    373.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 1637078733919.jpeg
    1637078733919.jpeg
    385.5 KB · Views: 69

olafthered

LE
Book Reviewer
Ooohhh... my misses keeps asking what I want for Christmas. If I can't have a dry robe I think I have a suggestion!

A little break /something different, from the usual model making seen in these hallowed pages!

As I’m easing myself back into ‘proper’ model making, and as I was given this ‘kit’ as a joke birthday present from a sideways walking mate, I thought I’d give it a go - should only take a few minutes…. Well chums, I thought this might help my motor skills and hand/eye co=ordination, ready for a ‘real kit. Here’s my tale!

Sluban are a ‘Lego’ type block system. However, whereas Lego discourages war-like models (except un-real sci-fi ones), Sluban thrive on them! The rumour is the blocks are compatible too, so if you want to be a naughty Dad/Grandad/Uncle and upset the woke parents………. This kit has 903 parts, some surprisingly small, and is a cross between a set of Lego and a jig-saw puzzle.

Things you will need:
Opposing fingers and thumbs that work. No, REALLY work.
The eyes of a hawk with 20-20 vision. Or a good magnifying glass.
Two in number parallel pliers to separate the small bricks when you make a mistake.
A large tray to make it in, as those bits can fly!
A large tube of Voltarol for your thumb and forefinger joints after each session.

There are no sprues, so the sprue cutter I bought was superfluous. Better just stash it away in the modelling toolbox…. With the new set of mini files. No need for any tools whatsoever. Every brick/block/component was fault-less.

I’ll do the usual box/bag thing, as most of you will not have seen anything so basic since Methusula was a lad. Three bags of bits, in no order that I could see:

After an hour of sorting out similar bits and some severe thumb pain I’d achieved this:

Another hour or so later on another day, this:

And yet another hour or so later - ta da - this! I’m leaving most of the decals (actually stickers) off, as I’ll probably break it down and put it away in its box for a rainy day. I did get the ‘you’re not putting THAT on MY mantlepiece’ look!

The instructions are quite/fairly clear, however, the magnifying glass was needed to check holes/ pins/orientation of blocks etc. Mistakes WILL be made. All in all a very satisfying little interlude. It, or a similar kit, would be an excellent Grandad/Grandkid bonding exercise on Boxing Day - especially if you’d been a tanky and were building a tank model!

More info - for kiddies stocking fillers obviously, here:

Sluban Nuclear Submarine M38-B0391

In the model shop the other day there was a huge ship (Destroyer?)……..! And tanks. And guns!!

ETA just found a huge aircraft carrier model today - 66 euros! And way over 1000 parts!

Brilliant kit.

However - you either need to take your phone out of the Zip-Loc bag it's in, or you are seriously overdue an upgrade.

Latest Threads