Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Getting Away With It....

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
On my Class 1 Recy Mech course at Bordon. ('81ish) We'd finished blowing stuff up on the heath and I filled a baccy tin with PE4. (Fuck knows why, it seemed like a good idea at the time.)

I had forgotten all about it by the end of the course. Loaded my bike up and headed back to boxhead land with no drama.

I 'discovered' it again about three months later and serupticiously hoyed it into a river.

What the hell was I thinking? And can you imagine the massive ball of crap that I'd be in, if I'd done that silly stunt years later.

On my Class 1 Recy Mech course at Bordon. ('81ish) We'd finished blowing stuff up on the heath and I filled a baccy tin with PE4. (Fuck knows why, it seemed like a good idea at the time.)

I had forgotten all about it by the end of the course. Loaded my bike up and headed back to boxhead land with no drama.

I 'discovered' it again about three months later and serupticiously hoyed it into a river.

What the hell was I thinking? And can you imagine the massive ball of crap that I'd be in, if I'd done that silly stunt years later.

Something similar, took a range or two in the UK .Driving back to my old dears house. Checking my webbing , bugger two full mags of 5.56.

OK , short term bury them in the garden. Will dispose of them later.

About 2 years later get a call from her in a panic, seems she had paid a local old chap to plant some plants in said garden . She was bricking it as he had found some bullets and did not know what to do . OOPs

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
Something similar, took a range or two in the UK .Driving back to my old dears house. Checking my webbing , bugger two full mags of 5.56.

About 2 years later get a call from her in a panic, seems she had paid a local old chap to plant some plants in said garden . She was bricking it as he had found some bullets and did not know what to do . OOPs

I wouldn't worry too much. EOD will probably classify it as 5.56 WW2 War Department stock...

If they're pissed.

Oops.

Something similar happened to my grandmother's near neighbour whose son had done the same. She and the old bloke who was planting her garden got into a right old flap to discover that her dear offspring had come home on a couple of days leave some time before and panicked when he discovered that he had four hand grenades among his kit.

Sent from my karzi while losing several pounds

I didn’t understand most of that post, but it sounded impressive3, hence the like!
I was a radar tech for 25 years, and I'm with you

Wasn’t there a contact or two between the Not UK SAS helping the BDF and some? Troops from south of the border in 81-82? These troops from the south might have even had ex Brit SAS and even a Marine amongst them.

Allegedly

Think it was mid '80s after a mine planted on an access road in the border region with Bots (Ellisras?) killed a farmer and his kid. There was a follow up op while Them were training BDF troops and they were moved out of Gabs to a more secure location IIRC.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I came away from a tour with a fair amount of morphine that I had forgotten about. Even went through an RMP 'checkpoint' where he couldn't be bothered to search my kit before I left theatre on a shitty civi ship.

When I discovered it all I checked the lot into the sea. It could be why the dolphins were following us, they were hoping for more

Think it was mid '80s after a mine planted on an access road in the border region with Bots (Ellisras?) killed a farmer and his kid. There was a follow up op while Them were training BDF troops and they were moved out of Gabs to a more secure location IIRC.

I think it was one of the first reported uses of Sat Nav for UK troops.
‘’went out on a bearing and sat nav , came back and drove straight back onto the tracks they went in with.”

Allegedly

Similar story. Mate on one of the old wooden MCMVs in the early 80s. They were up and down the Irish Sea, and used to regularly overnight along side the IOM. He'd trapped a teacher, and would stay at her flat overnight. One morning wakes up to discover He's left a skid mark on the bedsheets. She's in the kitchen making tea and toast or something, before He goes back to the ship. He hops out of bed, quickly turns the bottom (no pun intended) sheet so as its on Her side of the bed.Job Jobbed. Made in the Royal Navy....
That's where the tale falls apart

Driving to Bessbrook and not paying attention to any signs, got to Dundalk before turning around.

The 2 SA80's in the passenger footwell, and 12 Brownings we were carrying were delivered safely back to the UK side.

Circa 96 south Armagh tour CSM and CQMS went on an admin run to Lisburn decided would be a good idea to visit CSMs mothers house on the Shankill road for tea leaving 1 cougar and 2x9MMs on returning to the car it had been nicked :D:D:D
They Didnt get away with it CSM busted to lance jack and CQ to RGR as could not have happend to 2 nicer fucks....

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
... and to continue to get away with anything I may, or may not, have been involved in. I would like to state "no comment", "I have no recollection of that day/incident/country' and of course "sluggy did it"

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
when I was in the T.A. one of our lads had a visit from the plod on some trifling matter, mr plod nearly fainted when he saw laid out in the living room on a sm all table a lump of live Gimpy belt edged with one live grenade ( pin well and truly in and bent. ) and on the other side a Smoke Grenade pin in and bent .

His mum was so pleased that he could bring his hobby home to display .

In the event naturally the stuff was confiscated by the T.A. and he was up on a super charge . In the event he was just chucked out because every one liked him . for he was a very nice chap.

Good job nobody looked in his shed .......1980/81 ish.

oh I forgot a few loose 7.62 rounds delectably place around his wee tableau

when I was in the T.A. one of our lads had a visit from the plod on some trifling matter, mr plod nearly fainted when he saw laid out in the living room on a sm all table a lump of live Gimpy belt edged with one live grenade ( pin well and truly in and bent. ) and on the other side a Smoke Grenade pin in and bent .

His mum was so pleased that he could bring his hobby home to display .

In the event naturally the stuff was confiscated by the T.A. and he was up on a super charge . In the event he was just chucked out because every one liked him . for he was a very nice chap.

Good job nobody looked in his shed .......1980/81 ish.

oh I forgot a few loose 7.62 rounds delectably place around his wee tableau
We had that round here about the same time but he had a SLR and most of a Gimpy.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer

Yes, polluting a river like that, shame on you.

Yes, polluting a river like that, shame on you.
1603825181780.png

That explains it...;)

ches

LE
I was on civvy outward bounds thingy about 9 or 10 years ago & one of the parts of the course included use of smoke grens.....these chaps sourced the civvy firework types to use....cardboard break cap user striker kind of thing. But, one of the blokes pulled a pukka MOD supplied smoke gren out of one of the wagons & pulled the pin.....nothing, the plunger into the top of the can was rusted & wouldn't pop up to start the ignition of the chems in the thing. I had a look at it & said nah thats knackered, gave it him back. he then continued to feck about with it holding it close to his stupid moon beam face. I told him he was being a mong & to give it to me & i'd get rid of it for him later. I wrapped it in a spare jacket & left it in a safe place while the course was run.

Come end of play & I forgot about this thing wrapped up in a jacket, just popped the jacket into the boot of my wagon & drove home a bit bollocksed & forgetful. Once home unloaded the kit & just lobbed most of it under the open stair case to be sorted & cleaned in a few days. I was due over at the girlfriends for a nice bit of promised scran & a bunk up. Feck the kit. About 0400 next morning I sit up fully awake in bed next to her with a feckin light bulb moment going, 'fcuk me i've still got that live smoke grenade in my fcuking coat'. She sleepily asks me whats up, tell her while pulling my jeans on & then a mad dash the 12 or so miles back to my gaff at very stupid speeds expecting to see a fiery glow in the sky as I get closer. Thankfully nothing & i was able to quietly park up get the fecking thing out of my house & then lobbed it (carefully) out of the car window into water filled ditch by the side of a country lane.

Latest Threads