Getting around Edinburgh

Britannia is 50% off for Forces, well worth a look but it's down at Leith. If you're out at night for a drink, following places have cracking pubs:

Grassmarket (Biddy Mulligans....awesome)
Rose Street (the Black Rose Inn is awesome if you like rock)
Royal Mile (Whiski has live music every night, around 300 whiskys on offer if you like the water of life)
Lebowskis on Morrison St, just up off Lothian Road, is feckin awesome if you like different types of white russians.

Castle worth a look if your still serving (as mentioned, free with ID)
Camera Obscura is pretty cool to visit.
So many great food places it's hard to recommend one, Just try what looks good but if you like the pay a set amount and eat as much as you can, Cosmo down at the Omni Centre is awesome. Be aware the majority of pubs down near the Omni are in the gay area of Edinburgh, but they're still good pubs.

I hate cities....but I love Edinburgh and see something new every time I visit, which is a lot. Just go with the flow, enjoy the atmosphere.

My wife is Indian and she loved it, well friendly people, plenty of Bag-piper bushers

We attended this show and the bag-piper was an ex-reg (had an NI gong) and me and the other half went in and watched, was a treat for her and she loved the scenery as well in Edinburgh

Spirit of Scotland Show

An all-day bus ticket costs about £4.50 well worth the money.
Download the Lothian Buses app (think it may have renamed itself to include trams...). Easy to work out how to get anywhere and the stops all have live screens. You can't get around by car in Edinburgh because They Don't Like Them and There Is Nowhere to Park near where you want to go!

SWMBO and I spent a weekend there last month, stayed at Salisbury Green, just behind the Commonwealth Pool. Lovely rooms, good breakfast, quite reasonable. Don't think that any of the shops on the Royal Mile had any Scottish staff, all eastern Europeans,band rip-off city. National Gallery well worth a visit (free) as is the National Museum. Enjoyed looking at the architecture everywhere, lovely old buildings. Bus service is good, Google maps showed all the routes and times. Cost was 1.70 per trip.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
SWMBO and I spent a weekend there last month, stayed at Salisbury Green, just behind the Commonwealth Pool. Lovely rooms, good breakfast, quite reasonable. Don't think that any of the shops on the Royal Mile had any Scottish staff, all eastern Europeans,band rip-off city. National Gallery well worth a visit (free) as is the National Museum. Enjoyed looking at the architecture everywhere, lovely old buildings. Bus service is good, Google maps showed all the routes and times. Cost was 1.70 per trip.
£4.50 and you can ride buses all day!

I haven't been in Edinburgh for a few years, do the pubs still close at 22:00? The last time I was there it was like a ghost town at 22:30.

Last edited:

rampant

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Gramps

Old-Salt
Kit Reviewer
If you are staying outside of the city park at Ingliston, get the tram in, pretty sure the ticket works on lothian buses too. The boat trip out from South Queensferry is pretty good (don't forget to give a donation at the lifeboat station or pop in the shop).

Whistle Binkies is pretty good for live music but can get crowded at the weekend. Loads to do, watch out for the trams, as us stupid drivers don't swerve.

I haven't been in Edinburgh for a few years, do the pubs still close at 22:00? The last time I was there it was like a ghost town at 22:30.
Lol. That's ancient history, mate. Pubs can close any time up to 0100hrs nowadays, clubs 0300hrs with occasional extensions eg Festival time, Christmas and Hogmanay to 0500hrs. Earliest pub opening for some eg docks area is 0600hrs.

If the pubs still closed at 22:00 the last time you were in Edinburgh, then I suggest that by 21:30, the Care Home staff should have you tucked up in bed with a nice cup of Horlicks.