Get your free money here:

The_Duke

LE
From the AFPRB 12/13 report

Office of Manpower Economics - AFPRB reports

Territorial Army Commitment Bonus – Early Years
We received a proposal from MOD on a Commitment Bonus, which would be paid to Direct Entrant Territorial Army (TA) Junior Officers, and ex-Regulars in the early years of their Reserve service. It would provide an initial payment of £2,000, followed by three staged annual payments of £1,000 to encourage recruitment and retention. This total incentive of £5,000 (before tax) is offered to those identified as critical to meeting MOD’s 2018 target of 30,000 fully trained TA Reservists. MOD acknowledges that current non-remunerative and remunerative measures have failed to recruit and retain sufficient levels of TA personnel, even before the ambitious 2018 target. It is expected to cost £17.6m over the next five years with the aim of having 22,500 deployable TA by 2015.

MOD proposed to review the effectiveness of the policy with a review submitted to us during the 2015–16 round. While we are content to endorse the package, we would like regular updates on the impact of this measure on recruitment and retention, and we are prepared to revisit the issue before the next scheduled review if that should be necessary.

Recommendation 12: We recommend that the Territorial Army Commitment Bonus – Early Years be implemented.

The_Duke

LE
No nothing for OR's/LE/PQO (TA)?
ORs - Shortfall easier to remedy than Jnr officers. Ex Regs (assuming experience is relevant and recent) dramatically reduce the training bill.

LEs - It is a retention bonus, not more money to keep the old and bold at the bar longer once they have finished writing on a rule using block capitals. Arguably we need to get rid of many of these once we get the DEs in and through the system for a few years.

PQO - What is the shortfall? If it was that severe, they would have been included.

Roughly equivalent to paying full bounty from Day 1, that'll help some graduates with paying off their student loans. And a nice top-up for the ex-Regulars' redundancy pay.

Doesn't really address converting civvies into grunts, though, does it?

...and retention? Retaining ex-Regulars in green? And all recipients for just four years?

The_Duke

LE
Turning civvies into grunts is relatively easy, as long as the system supports the recruiting and training.

4 years is probably about right. A decent enough return on investment but not so long as to scare people off.

so they think an extra £5k over 4 years is going to improve the inflow of sacked Regulars into the TA ?
I'd imagine that if they've been unable to find a job and the redundancy money is dwindling, the prospect of some extra cash would be very welcome. They might like it and stay for a while.

ORs - Shortfall easier to remedy than Jnr officers.
But some corps don't have an upstairs/downstairs trade/management model, absence of pinch point technical/high pay types has made them as useful as a chocolate fireguard. Those types bring in skills with them, training can't fix that (or the TA can't afford that amount of training time)
An officers(/sgts) mess full of Tim nice but dims and/or cletus the yokel types only sorts the admin out - the corps main job still needs doing.

The_Duke

LE
But some corps don't have an upstairs/downstairs trade/management model, absence of pinch point technical/high pay types has made them as useful as a chocolate fireguard. Those types bring in skills with them, training can't fix that (or the TA can't afford that amount of training time)
An officers(/sgts) mess full of Tim nice but dims and/or cletus the yokel types only sorts the admin out - the corps main job still needs doing.
So you can only exist if you recruit people who are already pre-trained, many of whom are "high pay" types?

Not sure if £5k gross over 4 years is really going to solve that problem, is it?

The_Duke

LE
What about an incentive for ex stabs to re-join.
Tried before. Ex-STAB joined arrse to tell everyone exciting tales about bike rides and his dodgy knee. He eventually got round to joining and then kept posting about how great he was and how he was going to show all the young pups how to do it in AFG based on his experience in forestry blocks during the late '80s.

He then struggled to run for the bus, never got near deploying and retired to the TAC bar to tell everyone how he "coulda been a contender" and driving those who had actually done the job to distraction/despair.

I would't have paid him his MTDs, let alone a bonus for that! ;-)

The_Duke

LE
I disagree about the TA officers - I think it is pretty well targeted. Instead of someone lazing around inthe OTC for 3 years, it might be enough of an incentive for them to commission in their first year, then do two years on a Type A commission to get a few extra pounds. £3000 tax free in the first two years is a lot of beers in the union. Similarly, post A level students or recent graduates doing a McJob after college might find it a suitable incentive until such time as they start their main career.

For someone already established in a career a grand (gross) is nice, but not enough to risk your career over.

It is well targeted, but I suspect it is not sufficient to address the shortfall which we have.

Attached is a slide which shows liability (i.e. what we should have) in blue, strength (i.e. bums on seats) in red , and an actual number (based on those who have attended in the last 3 months) in green. The purple bar, by way of comparison, is the number of commissioned Officers the OTRs are mandated to provide*.

Please note 2Lts and Lts are combined.

m-s-r

* I suspect, but don't have the data to prove it, that of these 160: 2/5 are going regular, 2/5 are there to get the t-shirt and 1/5 will end up in the TA.

P.S. These figures have come from FOI requests and are subject to certain caveats. I use them for illustrative purposes only.

Attachments

Latest Threads