Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Get You Home Travel Confusion

I've been reading through the forums but I can't seem to get clarification on this issue.

I have found the relevant documentation in JSP 752 Chapter 7 Section 4 but I am confused by subsection 8.

What I am trying to work out is, am I able to let out some of the rooms of the property but still claim for get you home travel?
My plan would be to buy a property and I would like to rent out some of the bedrooms but I would have a bedroom of my own at the house which I would return to when I had free weekends.
My name would be on the council tax and I would be responsible for the bills and the mortgage.

It is part b that specifically confuses me:
"b. The PMP must not be let and must be available for their occupation. Subtenancies held as part of the rent a Room scheme do not qualify under this definition, neither do rental agreements for a sub-division of a property unless the sub-division is a fully self contained property in its own right with its own utilities, council tax etc."
Taking each part, the PMP cannot be let I am taking to mean the full property cannot be rented to someone else.
The next two sections I assume to mean if I was renting a property from someone else, rather than if I owned the building.

Am I correct in this? I am able to claim full GYH(T) pay if I live in one of the rooms of the house, despite renting other rooms out?


I'm not a squaddie but the way it reads to me is that you can let rooms or part of the house out as long as what you let out is not self-contained with the occupier paying for their own leccy, gas and council tax.

Latest Threads