Get up earlier, Germans tell Greeks

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
Some advise from our Teutonic friends to the financially embarrassed Greeks:

After yesterday's call by two German politicians that Greece sell off islands, historic buildings and artworks before receiving aid, the German tabloid Bild has written an open letter to the Greek prime minister George Papandreou:

Dear prime minister,

If you're reading this, you've entered a country different from yours. You're in Germany.

Here, people work until they are 67 and there is no 14th-month salary for civil servants. Here, nobody needs to pay a €1,000 bribe to get a hospital bed in time.

Our petrol stations have cash registers, taxi drivers give receipts and farmers don't swindle EU subsidies with millions of non-existent olive trees.

Germany also has high debts but we can settle them. That's because we get up early and work all day.

We want to be friends with the Greeks. That's why since joining the euro, Germany has given your country €50bn.
Bit harsh, but some home truths in there.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Didn't Greece claim it was skint because Germany nicked all their gold in WW2

Should really have got early even the RAF used to go on standby at 05:00 during the Battle of Britain*

Although it's rumored that both sides agreed not to start anything before 10:00 on a Sunday due to lie in regulations

sunami said:
Maybe the UK will give them a couple of quid if we can keep the Elgin Marbles.
This article, from 2004, claimed that the (now completed) exhibition space here at Bovington Tank Museum is "good enough to display the Elgin Marbles". :excited:

"And he described plans to create an exhibition facility with a controlled environment good enough to put the Elgin Marbles on exhibition for a short time, adding, "Nowhere else in the area could do this."

He also said: "The year 2016 is the centenary of the tank and the whole world's eyes will be on Bovington."

http://archive.bournemouthecho.co.uk/2004/11/27/60920.html

On June 10, 1944, over two hours, Waffen-SS troops of the 4th SS Polizei Panzergrenadier Division under the command of SS-Hauptsturmführer Fritz Lautenbach went door to door and massacred Greek civilians, reportedly in revenge for a partisan attack. A total of 218 men, women and children were killed.[1] According to survivors, SS forces "bayoneted babies in their cribs, stabbed pregnant women, and beheaded the village priest."[1]

In the 1960s, the government of West Germany paid Greece 115 million marks in restitution. Later four relatives of victims made claims for individual compensation and sued in the German courts and the European Court of Human Rights, which could have made Germany liable for several billion dollars in reparations. The claims were denied by the European Court of Human Rights and by German lower courts and in June 2003 were rejected by the Federal Court of Justice.[1][2]

Necky boxhead fcukers. Their own economy is not exactly the dynamo we were once led to believe it was.

Oh and we shouldn't display the Elgin Marbles at bovvy - think of the impact of tank exhausts on the marble.

RP578 said:
Some advise from our Teutonic friends to the financially embarrassed Greeks:

After yesterday's call by two German politicians that Greece sell off islands, historic buildings and artworks before receiving aid, the German tabloid Bild has written an open letter to the Greek prime minister George Papandreou:

Dear prime minister,

If you're reading this, you've entered a country different from yours. You're in Germany.

Here, people work until they are 67 and there is no 14th-month salary for civil servants. Here, nobody needs to pay a €1,000 bribe to get a hospital bed in time.

Our petrol stations have cash registers, taxi drivers give receipts and farmers don't swindle EU subsidies with millions of non-existent olive trees.

Germany also has high debts but we can settle them. That's because we get up early and work all day.

We want to be friends with the Greeks. That's why since joining the euro, Germany has given your country €50bn.
Bit harsh, but some home truths in there.
My bold, true but not on a Friday - the country grinds to a halt midday Fridays! Well, except shops. Normal work ie. builders etc. start at about 07:00 hrs.

Well, I've been going to Germany on & off since the early seventies and I've never met a German that works hard. I remember ringing a German company up in the middle of January for a quote, only to hear a recorded message saying they were on Christmas leave until the 16th! Are the shops still closed Saturday afternoons and all day Sunday?

mnairb said:
Well, I've been going to Germany on & off since the early seventies and I've never met a German that works hard. I remember ringing a German company up in the middle of January for a quote, only to hear a recorded message saying they were on Christmas leave until the 16th! Are the shops still closed Saturday afternoons and all day Sunday?
They don't work hard nor do the Dutch, Norwegians, Swedes, et al. But what does happen is that the work allocation is well organised and defined, which leads to a systematic efficiency. And the vast majority know what's required and what's expected.

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
BrandySoured said:
mnairb said:
They don't work hard nor do the Dutch, Norwegians, Swedes, et al. But what does happen is that the work allocation is well organised and defined, which leads to a systematic efficiency. And the vast majority know what's required and what's expected.
That plus the fact that they imported Italians, Croatians and Turks to work hard for them.

mnairb said:
Open all day every Saturdy, but everything is closed on Sunday. However, there was talk of this changing, but the churches are fighting this very hard. The shop opening times, are pretty much what was the norm for the UK 20 years ago. On the plus side, Sunday is a day of rest and not gardening or d.i.y. :)

I don't think there is any problems with Greeks not having enough hours in the day to make money, the underlying problem is that the Greek Tax Department is totally incapable of separating the vast swathes of the Greek self-employed workers from their cash..

Like with most area's of the Public Sector, the Jobs-For-Life culture is endemic and all that you have to do to get that gold plated pension is do enough work so as to be able to keep breathing. So why bother your arrse to rock the boast to upset anyone when it's much easier to just take the odd cash bung.... !

Latest Threads