Get mobilised, lose your bounty (?)

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by One_of_the_strange, Mar 8, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I and a few others mobilised during the current training year have recently found out that we won't be getting our bounty as we won't have done enough MTDs to qualify as we demob after the end of the training year.  Time with the regulars only counts as a camp so we haven't done enough MTDs.  

Has anyone out there had a similar experience, and are there any hints for how to resolve it ?

The unit is sticking rigidly to the letter of TA regs - which is fine - but is refusing to take the matter up the chain of command - which is not IMHO.  

Attempts to point out to the hierarchy that the regs were not written with current circumstances and that refusing someone a bounty on the grounds that they have not done enough training because they have been doing the job for real tend to end in a statement along the lines that "I'm an officer, you are not, the regs say what they say so go away".  

I am bitter and twisted over this, and am not alone, so your comments and advice are welcome.  

2. You could apply to the CO to extend your training year, so you can do the days to qualify for your bounty.

3. if you're being mobilised in march, then you have had at least ten months to get the minimum amount of mtd's. have you been off sick?

4. although, your point is very valid.

5. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

This whole thing is pretty sick.  The Bounty is intended as a recognition of your willingness to be mobisilised.  If being mobilised doesn't entitle you to it, then what does!

In reality, Bounty approval is pretty much in the hands of the Gods - or rather God, in the form of your CO.  If he signs your efficiency Cert, and you have done Camp, you get it.  Simple.

If he won't - and I would treachorously suggest you try a personal approach, and avoid the chain of command here - you are stuck.  I would not recommend approaching the press, as it will just p*ss everyone off.

Incidentally, our CO has personally promised that all personnel who are called up, even if they are binned at Chilwell, will get Bounty this year.  That's the way to motivate Troops  ;D

6. Quiller - just to clarify, I was mobilised last August.  

OldSnowy - I have been told that the CO cannot award me a bounty if I haven't done the days regardless of whether or not they want to .  Interesting how approaches to and interpretations of the rules vary between units.  

Don't worry, I'm not about to go to the press either, in the mood I'm in at the moment I'll just hand my kit back in and get stuck into the gardening.  Maybe I'll cheer up later.

7. Flyingrockdj

Flyingrockdj War Hero Moderator

It wouldn't happen if you kept it wrapped up, in your top pocket or in a fridge where it can't melt.

8. Quiller - just to clarify, I was mobilised last August.  

then my apologies. you have every right to be pissed, my lot have been told that if they are mobilised then they will get a bounty. this is on the basis that they were available to do the mtd's but due to these events beyond their control can't.

9. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Sorry chums, I disagree with this.  My bounty didn't come in the year that I was mobilised and the reason was quite simple, despite having achieved EVERYTHING required for bounty qual except MTD's.

This was because, as a STAB I would expect to get paid the bounty.  As soon as a I turned ARAB I was getting paid for doing work as a Regular (army pension that sort of thing) so therefore I was no longer a STAB therefore not qualified to receive it.

With due respect what you are missing is here, STAB's get bounties, ARAB's get housing, food, pension payments and if you are a STAB playing at ARAB then you should expect to get what the ARAB gets (and Hardship awards!  Hurrah!).

I don't see why you have an issue.  I'm assuming that you are now back from you mobilised period and trying to get your bounty and trying get some more cash from the system (fair enough, go do some more days with an extended training year) or is it that you are working as an ARAB receiving accom, food and so forth but would like to get some more money (fair enough but why would expect this, because as an asset you are deployed, you can't get called out twice so why should anyone give you any money?).

When I did an S type 7 years ago I was dischaged from the TA and joined the Army.  At the end of my term of service I was hon. discharged from the Army and joined the TA again with everything carried forwards.  Perhaps this process doesn't exist anymore but it if did perhaps you would understand what you now are (Army, be the best) and what you are now not...

10. "With due respect what you are missing is here, STAB's get bounties, ARAB's get housing, food, pension payments and if you are a STAB playing at ARAB then you should expect to get what the ARAB gets (and Hardship awards!  Hurrah!). "

Mobilised TA do not get a pension for the time they serve.  So we don't get the same.   Also, no entitlement to MQ's, no real support to families ... but I digress.  

Missing out on bounty also means that next year my bounty will be reduced as I didn't get an efficiency certificate this year and the amount paid drops back to the first year amount.  It also presumably affects my entitlement to the TD/VRSM (whatever it is called this year) as that requires an unbroken series of efficiency certificates.  

The bottom line is that I am being penalised in my TA service because I have spent time doing the job for real with the regulars.  This is perverse and the opposite of what I feel was intended by the regulations.  So I'm still not happy.  

11. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

OOTS - "Mobilised TA do not get a pension for the time they serve."

Yes we do.  See my post on the Finance Board - if mob'ed, you can choose either the Armed Forces pension scheme, or payment into your work one, or into a prvate one.  On Mob, you become an ordinary soldier, just like everyone else.

Your point on Bounty is however valid.  For goodness' sake, whats £1200 to the MoD?  And I speak as a dyed-in-the-wool Mystery beancounter.  Frankly, another £1m or so on pay wouldn't even get noticed.

12. "OOTS - "Mobilised TA do not get a pension for the time they serve."
    Yes we do.  See my post on the Finance Board - if mob'ed, you can choose either the Armed Forces pension scheme, or payment into your work one, or into a prvate one.  On Mob, you become an ordinary soldier, just like everyone else. "

Maybe I'm being picky here ... but contributions made to company or personal pensions by the MoD on behalf of mobilised TA are deducted from salary - ie they are contributory.  Regular pensions are non-contributory.  So I would point to a real difference there.  

As to a choice between AFPS and existing pension - not offered at Chilwell in my experience.  

13. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Without lurking on the nit-picking of pension vs no pension argument I think your real issue is that you are losing out on your bounty as a TA Soldier.  Well it comes down to the fact that you aren't TA anymore so you will be getting what the regs get.  Suggest you stay in for 5 years and get the regular bounty/bonus.

Perhaps you can tell me what you did with your mobilisation bonus if 300 GBP?  Did you do anything to deserve that?  Get mobilised?  Refuse the payment?  Nothing, yes, no?  Thought so.

Start thinking like the regular you are:-  create a chuff chart, bitch and moan to everyone and say how you are looking forward to the day you can get back to civvy street and earn all that green (and the TA bounty).

PS.  VRSM's aren't all that great - your Op. medal I would have thought would have provided greater pride and respect.

14. On the question of bounties......

Are they going to be late this year, with the current situation?

15. msr

msr LE

Without wishing to appear cynical:

Are they not late every year, without the current situation?