Gerry Adams on Radi 4 - Today Programme

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by wooger, Mar 9, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gerry Adams is on the Today Programme. Sorry no linky yet.

Proof that a leopard cannot change his spots. He just cannot bring himself to fully condemn the attacks and accept that 2 innocent people are dead. He merely talks about the logic of his position.

2. There will be a small bit inside Gerry that wishes he was in the ASU that had the success of a double kill.
    He's an IRA man, always was and always will be.

3. I did like the emotive statement about “unaccountable” British Army units when he was referring to the deployment of the SSR, worried that it might stop you being able to run with the hares and hunt with the hounds.

I must say I find it amazing that an elected member of parliament cannot be made to make an outright condemnation, but will in fact justify the attack.

4. Adams' response will be seen and understood for what it was. Despite the smoothing over by Naughtie it's clear that Adams has in reality attempted to condone the actions of these assassins. Note Adams' careful choice of 'British' soldiers in his comments.

When does McGuinness add his weasel words?

5. cpunk

cpunk LE Moderator

Alternatively, Adams and McGuinness have to walk a fine line in which they convey their disapproval of what has happened whilst not alienating the more extreme fringes of Sinn Fein and PIRA who might well decide that they were being betrayed and follow the well-trodden path back to violence.

6. Judge for yourself. Link to clip of piece on Today programme here

Clip is 12:17min long.

7. Adams said the killings were wrong, I don't see how that is condoning the killings.

The fact is whether we like him or not he is very well placed to find a peaceful solution to the problems in NI. Since all soldiers were sent to NI to help preserve life we should accept that Adams and McGuinness, despite our personal feelings about them as individuals, are the duly elected spokemen for their constituents. They are trying to find peace, their ultimate goal may be a united Ireland but it is a goal which they are now attempting to bring about by peaceful means. They have a right to want a Republic and a united Ireland just as others have a right to want a United Kingdom and a seperate Ulster.

Adams and McGuinness will eventually retire from the politcal scene and others will take their place, hopefully they too will be dedicated to finding a peaceful and democratic solution. Until then we have Adams and McGuinness, they may leave a bad taste in the mouth but they are at least preventing a return to the 'old ways'.

8. Yesterday on the World Service.

9. "Adams and McGuinness will eventually retire from the politcal scene and others will take their place, hopefully they too will be dedicated to finding a peaceful and democratic solution"

Adams and McGuinness interest is in making sure their pockets are well filled with taxpayers hard earned, the way that they could best see it was to have "peace". The weapons of the IRA are only put beyond use, the troops have been withdrawn from the streets, security watchtowers removed in South Armagh, and the special branch in NI has been disbanded. The efforts against the terrorist have been reduced, but the terrorist is still alive and kicking, and if you believe that McGuinness and Adams are unaware of these activities you live on another planet.

"They haven't gone away y'know"

10. However he did then go on justify the murders and link them to the deployment of the SRR.
    His supposition that we had brought this "suffering" as he called it upon ourselves by the deployment.

The part where he loses all credibility is when he is asked how people he thinks are engaged in illegal activity and he reply’s that he has no idea.....yeah right

YM

11. I thought the pair of knob jockeys were not members of parliament because they won't swear allegiance to the Queen (quite happy to take British money though).

12. They also walk a very fine line between voicing disapproval of what has happened, whilst not getting whacked, a la Michael Collins.

13. I didn't say that they weren't aware of what's going on in their own back yard and I haven't said that then terrorists have gone away. What I have said is that if we want peace we have to accept that they have been elected as spokesmen for their community.

I am more interested in how the 'Old Guard' IRA feel about these terrorist's actions. Will we see a war amongst the IRA as the 'Old Guard' battle to regain control of the NI Republican terrorists? That Adams and McGuinness have gone as far as they have done in condeming the actions and expressing sympathy for the families of the soldiers concerned is indicative, to me at least, that the IRA leadership do not support these RIRA scum and that is a good sign to me.

14. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Fcuk em, I'll say now what I've always felt. Pull out all assets wind up and disband the PSNI hand the whole fcuking shebang over to EIRE and let them bloody try and fix the mess. PS if you want to find me I'll be rattling a tin with UVF on it outside Ibrox.

15. "I am more interested in how the 'Old Guard' IRA feel about these terrorist's actions. Will we see a war amongst the IRA as the 'Old Guard' battle to regain control of the NI Republican terrorists?"

No I doubt it very much, they had the opportunity to "out" the terrorist scum that carried out Omagh, this will just turn into another mystery as to who did it. I cannot see the confidential hotline telephone will be busy on this killing. Adams and McGuinness are well aware of who makes up RIRA and CIRA and the other dissident groups, and will never do anything against them. They know that by sitting on the fence on this matter (and others) they will get the votes of the Nationalist communities in the hard areas.