Gerry Adams on Compensation

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by jonwilly, Sep 8, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From The Guardian

A compensation double standard

If Britain is backing compensation from Libya for victims of IRA bombs, it should pay for those harmed by its unionist proxies

The demand for compensation from the Libyan government for victims of IRA actions, in which it is claimed Libyan armaments were used, and the British government's role in this, is the cause of some controversy in Belfast. On Monday, I spoke to Downing Street and to Northern Ireland secretary Shaun Woodward about this. I told them there could be no hierarchy of victims; that all victims deserve compensation – and that Mr Brown's position is totally inconsistent.

I support compensation for all victims. But this has to include the victims of British state violence and collusion.

No one should be surprised by the hypocritical stance of successive British governments on this issue. The role of the British state in killing citizens in Ireland in recent times is well-documented. Apart from killings by state forces, British intelligence agencies also armed unionist paramilitaries, including Ulster Resistance, which was established by the DUP, and provided the information which led to countless deaths.

The tactics employed in collusion were drawn from decades of British experience in fighting colonial wars elsewhere. But it was the work of Brigadier (later General Sir) Frank Kitson that refined its use in Ireland. Kitson was the British Army's foremost expert on counterinsurgency. He rationalised the use of death squads and the corruption of justice:

Everything done by a government and its agents in combating insurgency must be legitimate. But this does not mean that the government must work within exactly the same set of laws during an emergency as existed beforehand. The law should be used as just another weapon in the government's arsenal, in which case it becomes little more than a propaganda cover for the disposal of unwanted members of the public.

In the early 1970s, the British killed Catholics and Protestants and carried out actions, including bombings, using surrogate groups. The UDA, which remained a legal organisation for almost 20 years, and the UVF, carried out a campaign of killings against Catholics. They were supplied with information by the British intelligence agencies, including files, photographs and details of cars and movements.

One of the first people to be recruited by British intelligence was the loyalist Brian Nelson, a former British soldier. In the summer of 1985, Nelson was sent to apartheid South Africa to get weapons. To finance the trip, the UDA, UVF and Ulster Resistance carried out a bank robbery at the Northern Bank in Portadown; this netted £325,000, which was then used to purchase a shipment of arms consisting of 200 AK47 rifles, 90 Browning pistols, 500 fragmentation grenades, ammunition and 12 RPG launchers.

In the three years after the South African shipment, unionist paramilitaries killed 224 citizens and wounded countless scores more. One of these was Pat Finucane, a human rights lawyer, who was shot dead in February 1989 at his home in north Belfast.

In dealing with the issues of truth and victims, all of these matters must be open to scrutiny. I have no problem with campaigns for governments to pay compensation. But that has to include the British government.

Gordon Brown's position is totally inconsistent, but this is in keeping with London's longstanding game-playing on this important matter. Another example of this is to be found in Shaun Woodward's recent dismissal of the Eames/Bradley Commission proposal for an acknowledgment payment to all victims.

The fact is the British government is a player in all of these issues. It was one of the combatants in the conflict and is not and cannot be, or pretend to be, an objective or neutral referee.

john

2. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Gerry Adams + 7.62mm round thru the noggin= Job DONE!

3. Seconded and will pay someones air fare - business class.

4. 1984 - piss poor drills.

5. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

Spike you beat me too it,

6. This is a load of shite-

Adams and his apoligist are using this tactic to deflect from the very real need to compensate
    the innocent victims of the violence visited on the innocents by scum terrorists
    from both sides.

Adams is of the misguided view that if his ira has to cough up then the British Govt will have to do the same as well-

Bearing in mind that proportionally very few people were killed by the security forces and Adams says there should be no hierarchy of victims, I therefore suggest that the Government compensate there victims- and I mean the few caught in cross fire etc- not terrorist scum to the tune of about 2 Million each-

This would force the ira to do the same and hence bank rupt the bastards and there sinn fein handlers-

This should also be applied to the loyalist version of the ira as well.

I know it would be a bitter pill to swallow but to bankrupt and shut adams up I would contribute myself.

7. I prefer the bullet solution.

8. I agree Mr Adams. Will you meet me under the railway arch near Nottingham train station at about 0100 hrs thurday?

Oh, and remember, this is a SECRET meeting so you can't tell anyone about it.

9. The whole world would have remained a better place if the cu nt had stuck to delivering milk. Or whatever it was.

10. Of course the 7.62 is a better idea

In fact I prefer a lump hammer but its not going to happen

so spending a few million bankrupting these bastards is easy money

sure a couple of million wouldnt even get rid of moles in an MP's gardens.

11. Every so often I get pissed off with the Torygraph and think 'hey, the Guardian isn't such a bad paper these days'. And then they do something like this.

12. What is incredible is that he has a direct line to the SofS and Downing Street to allow him to discuss such cr@p.

I bet Broone didn't even have the bottle to feck him off at the high port!

I have served my country for 23 years, paid my taxes, obeyed the law and never attempted to murder, maim and terrorise innocent people and to best of my knowledge never made a serious attempt to overthrow any elected goverment (temping though it is). So what are my chances of just ringing up and putting my opinions to the PM or SofS - I doubt I would get past the switchboard or Butler

13. There's a particularly grovelly interview with the worthy Mr Adams in the Independent today - Linky

14. My favourite quote from the usual Grauniad type on CiF.

"dangerhamster
    08 Sep 09, 3:11pm (about 20 hours ago)
    My grandfather has seen regular army and special forces (dressed in civvies, armed, english and austrailian accents) on his farm in the Irish Republic.

What might they have been up to ?"

What the feck did granddad do, check their ID cards and phone the units to verify their identities?

15. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Whilst we are on the subject of compo and who should ante up, the Lybians supplied the IRA with semtex which was used by said IRA to carry out atrocities in the UK - Norn Ireland and mainland.

I suspect that Lybia did not 'give' this up freely and got paid for the semtex (and AK47s with ammo). So bearing that in mind, should the good ole' US of A not also contribute to the compo as NORAID was one of the major funders for the IRA and the USA gubment did not exactly do much to stop them collecting and giving money to the IRA?

Just a thought whilst we are at it.