• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Germany wins ;-(

Just back from my first trip to Berlin. Being there I constantly feel a sense of inferiority to Germany in almost every way imaginable.

Economy - Germany wins

Sport - Germany wins

Society - Germany wins

Beer - Germany wins

Education - Germany wins (certainly pre-university)

Culture - Germany wins

Food - despite not being France, Germany probably wins

Scenery and natural beauty - Germany wins

Beauty of women - Germany wins

And now cigarette machines on the street - Germany wins

Is it really that fucking amazing over there? Please someone tell me it's secretly fucking shit to be in Germany, and all the apparent greatness and coolness of the nation is just a facade?

Just back from my first trip to Berlin. Being there I constantly feel a sense of inferiority to Germany in almost every way imaginable.

Economy - Germany wins

Sport - Germany wins

Society - Germany wins

Beer - Germany wins

Education - Germany wins (certainly pre-university)

Culture - Germany wins

Food - despite not being France, Germany probably wins

Scenery and natural beauty - Germany wins

Beauty of women - Germany wins

And now cigarette machines on the street - Germany wins

Is it really that fucking amazing over there? Please someone tell me it's secretly fucking shit to be in Germany, and all the apparent greatness and coolness of the nation is just a facade?
Berlin was better fun when the Wall was up in my opinion but other than that you are pretty much right, though the Bundesliga is like watching paint dry most of the time

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
the women - almost certainly, in a lot of cases.

but coolness??? they still think the mullet is an acceptable hairstyle for blokes. :(

What's so chuffing good about cigarette machines on the streets? They've had them in Germany for years by the way and it was only recently that there was any attempt to control access to the cigarettes by children. Now they require a bank card even if they are paying cash for their fags. No great barrier as they just nick their parent's card.

Having fag machines on the street is not a winner in my book, just a way for kids to get an easy supply so that they are hooked as future customers and statistics.

Heard it by some tourists in Berlin as well, how so? Was it that beautiful?
It was ok but it was an awesome posting, mega cheap booze, BAFVS, and Party time 24/7, nothing like a gazillion Russians on the doorstep to encourage ribald behaviour! Once the wall came down and the celebrations ended you just had a big german city, it just felt different and somehow wrong.

I love living in Germany, but there is not the slightest possibility of the food being better there, nor the scenery. Also (and I realise this might not be an issue close to most ARSSEr's hearts) shopping, whether food, electronics, clothes or anything else, is atrocious in Germany.

I spent over 10 years in Germany, including Berlin (Wall up).

It was an excellent country.

But, as an Englishman I think that David Hasselhoff is a bit of a twat, whereas the Germans think he is some sort of God, and that's just wrong. Plain wrong.

World Wars.... Germany loses.

Music.... Germany loses.

Literature... Germany loses.

Sense of Humour.... Germany loses.

Film industry... Germany loses.

Beauty of coastline... Germany loses.

Beauty of women...do me a favour....Germany loses.

T

trowel

World Wars.... Germany loses.

Music.... Germany loses.

Literature... Germany loses.

Sense of Humour.... Germany loses.

Film industry... Germany loses.

Beauty of coastline... Germany loses.

Beauty of women...do me a favour....Germany loses.
Music..... Germany loses? Are you mad? Wagner, Beethoven,Orff, Schubert, Mendelsohn, Bach, I`m getting bored now.

And to bring the level of the thread back to the gutter, my only disappointment with German wimmin was that in the 60's/70's they seemed to favour boring white underwear.

'Sense of Humour.... Germany loses'.

Disagree. The boxheads I've encountered have a very wry sense of humour, and are quite happy to take a joke at their expense. It's the Austrians and the Swiss who tend to be miserable, pompous twats.

Having said that (and BAOR veterans will probably remember this), this sketch is on every single New Year's Eve, and for some reason the Huns think it's comedy gold:

YouTube - Dinner for one

Germany isn't that great of a country or society and there are a lot of aspects where in my experience, they piss me off and i feel i wouldn't rather be anything but English. i could give loads of reasons but i can't be arsed for now, unless someone cares (doubtful) and wants to know. my mum is German so i do know what i'm talking about from 1st hand experience of the country. there are good points aswell, beer (Herforder pils, Becks Gold) being one of them.

I care. Desperately want to know its cons to revive my self esteem which was badly shaken there
Germany isn't perfect, but, err, what exactly is wrong with Germany being a great country? If it's to do with the war, news flash, it's been over for a year or two. If it's football, hardly the German's fault that the England team is full of overpaid arseholes is it

Latest Threads