Germany warns US on missile shield plan

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PartTimePongo, Mar 19, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/03/19/wshield19.xml

2. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

"Europe must speak with one voice on this"...

And I wonder whose voice that would be, eh? Sorry, but I think certain Countries such as Poland and the Czech Republic may see things in a slightly different light to the Germans in this manner - as they do in so many others.

"Kurt Beck, the SPD chairman, went further, urging Europe to unite against a project Russia sees as an encroachment on its former sphere of influence and an attempt to shift the post-Cold War balance of power."

Yes, let's all unite to keep the Russians happy as they supply us with lots of natural gas, and far more importantly, they aren't America. The Germans really amaze me sometimes.

3. What will the germans do if america doesnt listen? March into France!!!

4. For the Czechs and Poles the primary reason for hosting the US bases is to feck off the Russians. Fecking off the Germans is an important but secondary advantage.

5. But we have an assurance from the German Chancellor that The Czechs and Poles are safe......

I just can't help having a sensation of Deja Vu...

6. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Old Snowy,

I wholly accept your first comment. However I think you might be missing the point of the second. My read is that Czech. Poland et al will go for the US lead simply because Europe is being pretty weak about the potential threat, be it from Russia or elsewhere.

If Europe came together with a reasonble military plan of unity then I reckon you could get both the Germans points without the pissing the Ruskies off with new US weapons. Ultimately Europe will need Russia and its natural resourses far more over the next 20-50 years than it needs the military might of the US.

7. Of course the reason the Polish and Czech governments want the missile bases is because it gives Uncle Sam a stake in their security and independence - something neither government would be willing to rely on the Russians or the West Europeans to guarantee. The Czechs are, famously, "a faraway people, of which we know little".