Germany to close over the next 15 years.

Robme

On ROPS
On ROPs
There is a camp located at Marchington Staffordshire, it was a CVD back in the day. All the Patch was sold off as was the officers patch, however all the singlies accommodation buildings are still in situate that is the buildings are still standing although in a rundown condition. The actual CVD site is now an industrial estate, and by chance I ended up working there in the 2000’s for a while.
We lived their in the 1960s but by 1975 (?) the Army had withdrawn and the blocks simply left. The last time I visited the site around 2 years ago they had fenced off the site, but access was freely available. It strikes me that this is a chronic waste of resources, when the land could have been reclaimed and new housing easily built? Marchington, is a very pretty location not far from Uttoxeter/Stoke/Buton-upon-Trent. And I have never understood why the army apparently have walked away from a Multi-million pound redevelopment opportunity? Unless the local NIMBY/BANANAs have been causing chaos?
Incidentally, they whole site wasn’t wasted, a new high security prison was built on part of the site. And if they wanted to build a Supermax style prison this would strike me as a perfect location, with room to build houses for potential staff?

Forty years ago we had 4 Armoured Divisions and 55,000 troops and 10,000 RAF in Germany. It seemed like we would be there for ever. As with the Cold war. How things change.
I seem to remember that the total figure for the Cold War period was around 80,000.

Mover

Old-Salt
There is a camp located at Marchington Staffordshire, it was a CVD back in the day. All the Patch was sold off as was the officers patch, however all the singlies accommodation buildings are still in situate that is the buildings are still standing although in a rundown condition. The actual CVD site is now an industrial estate, and by chance I ended up working there in the 2000’s for a while.
We lived their in the 1960s but by 1975 (?) the Army had withdrawn and the blocks simply left. The last time I visited the site around 2 years ago they had fenced off the site, but access was freely available. It strikes me that this is a chronic waste of resources, when the land could have been reclaimed and new housing easily built? Marchington, is a very pretty location not far from Uttoxeter/Stoke/Buton-upon-Trent. And I have never understood why the army apparently have walked away from a Multi-million pound redevelopment opportunity? Unless the local NIMBY/BANANAs have been causing chaos?
Incidentally, they whole site wasn’t wasted, a new high security prison was built on part of the site. And if they wanted to build a Supermax style prison this would strike me as a perfect location, with room to build houses for potential staff?
May have had something to do with requirements to do something else with the land; much of the MOD estate was appropriated before/during the 2nd world war, with the stipulation that if no longer required, it would be returned to its former condition and returned to the previous owner or their estate; they thought they would get a fortune for RAF Wittering until someone read the small print.