Germany to close over the next 15 years.

Just read in the local rag that on 11th of July there was a fire in the former RAF hospital in Wegberg. No explanation as to how the fire broke out, although that is largely irrelevant as the place has been empty since 2010. The local authority and the Bundesanstalt für Immobilienaufgaben (the actual owner of the place) have agreed that the hospital should be torn down. There are a number of buildings in that complex, just exactly where the fire was and if all buildings are to be torn down was not stated.
I have a few happy mamories er memories of that place and nice nurses.

Mover

Old-Salt
Just read in the local rag that on 11th of July there was a fire in the former RAF hospital in Wegberg. No explanation as to how the fire broke out, although that is largely irrelevant as the place has been empty since 2010. The local authority and the Bundesanstalt für Immobilienaufgaben (the actual owner of the place) have agreed that the hospital should be torn down. There are a number of buildings in that complex, just exactly where the fire was and if all buildings are to be torn down was not stated.
I have a few happy mamories er memories of that place and nice nurses.
It's not the 1st time it's been set on fire since we moved out. I'm surprised there's anything left of it.

singha61

Old-Salt
That's it , The Union Flag lowered for the final time in Catterick Barracks, Bielefeld

Attachments

Sad news......have some wonderful memories of the place.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I thought Barker Barracks was still open as well?

Normandy is Sennelager as far as I remember?
No. I saw a video walkthrough of a deserted Barker a week or two back.

:(

Filmed at 1100 hrs on a Sunday morning in 1985
Applicable to most BAOR Barracks in those days. Although to be fair, by 1100 hrs on a Sunday, there were signs of life*, as singlies began shuffling over to the cookhouse for Brunch.

*Not so much life, more a scene from the Walking Dead! :smile:

Actually not that "long gone" by my measure - 20x units were in both countries at one point but the final departure of remaining elements of 20x was in 2019 - 20 Bde say farewell to Paderborne

The resident armoured brigade before 20x was 33 Bde. At the time, early 90s, it was pretty much a moving across of the 20x flag,
I haven't got many years left, so ages ago

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I was thinking of the Paderborn Garrison as it used to be. 22 Armd Bde or was it 16 Armd?
It was Task Force Echo when I arrived in 77, became 33 Armd Bde before I left in 82.

It was Task Force Echo when I arrived in 77, became 33 Armd Bde before I left in 82.
My knowledge is a bit dated as I stopped "working" for the Army in 2013. At that time 16 and 22Armd were still up and running, 4 Mech (formerly 4 Armd) having gone with Osnabrück in 2009?

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
My knowledge is a bit dated as I stopped "working" for the Army in 2013. At that time 16 and 22Armd were still up and running, 4 Mech (formerly 4 Armd) having gone with Osnabrück in 2009?
Shrug. I left BAOR forever in 1985.

The final combat brigades within 1 (UK) Armoured Division in Germany were 4x, 7x, and 20x.

So all that's left now is in Normandy Bks, Paderborn?
I think the vehicle depot at Ayrshire Bks, MG is still there.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Latest Threads