Germany to close over the next 15 years.

I accept it is a totally different Army nowadays, it is predominantly home based and every squaddie has a car, but I still don’t get the urge to bomb burst home at every opportunity (unless it’s the only way to empty sacks etc!).
The lesson here, surely, is that it it's not totally different.

Rather 'Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose'

Especially if you're young, single, garrisoned in the arrse-end of UK nowhere (Catterick tops my list).

Different , perhaps, if you're stationed in Cyprus, but even when we were in Berlin (a city I rapidly learned to love more than London, where I grew up), a sizeable chunk of the younger troops hankered desperately for the company of family and friends back home.

I mean, in a face-off between a weekend spent in Catterick Camp, versus a weekend spent at home wi' yer mates from skule, if you were 19 and single, you'd choose home every time - even if home were Warrington or Barnsley.

It’s not so different (other than looking through the rose tinted spectacles)

As a young soldier in the early 80’s I f*cked of fro Cambridge back to Liverpool every weekend I could afford. First 2 weekends of the month the only people in camp at the weekend was the guard/fire picket.

Towards the end of the month it was still only the ‘Northern Orphans’ who couldn’t afford to get home.

But I suppose the winters where colder and summer days longer in the jumpers for goalposts days :)

FEASG

LE
It’s not so different (other than looking through the rose tinted spectacles)

As a young soldier in the early 80’s I f*cked of fro Cambridge back to Liverpool every weekend I could afford. First 2 weekends of the month the only people in camp at the weekend was the guard/fire picket.

Towards the end of the month it was still only the ‘Northern Orphans’ who couldn’t afford to get home.

But I suppose the winters where colder and summer days longer in the jumpers for goalposts days :)
I take it you were at Waterbeach? Funny I did the same when, I was down the road at Oakington, as did a lot of the lads in my Bn, It was only later in our time there , that we realised we had wasted so much time at home when Cambridge was such a good posting. When we then moved to Minden, the lads would do the mad ferry rush, and go home at any opportunity. Not me I always seemed to be on extras.

I take it you were at Waterbeach? Funny I did the same when, I was down the road at Oakington, as did a lot of the lads in my Bn, It was only later in our time there , that we realised we had wasted so much time at home when Cambridge was such a good posting. When we then moved to Minden, the lads would do the mad ferry rush, and go home at any opportunity. Not me I always seemed to be on extras.
Yep

I was lucky to do a stint back there in the early 00ies before it closed and got to experience the full delights of Cambridge and East Anglia.

If only we had the benefit and experience of age and a lived life in our teenage years :)

2+ years in that area convinced me that gravity is stronger around Cambridge than anywhere I have ever been.

This based on how hard the girls around there seemed to find it to keep their knickers up :)

The lesson here, surely, is that it it's not totally different.

Rather 'Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose'

Especially if you're young, single, garrisoned in the arrse-end of UK nowhere (Catterick tops my list).

Different , perhaps, if you're stationed in Cyprus, but even when we were in Berlin (a city I rapidly learned to love more than London, where I grew up), a sizeable chunk of the younger troops hankered desperately for the company of family and friends back home.

I mean, in a face-off between a weekend spent in Catterick Camp, versus a weekend spent at home wi' yer mates from skule, if you were 19 and single, you'd choose home every time - even if home were Warrington or Barnsley.
warrington home????? home for me used to be middle of the walkers mile(winwick road between winwick hospital and central station)72 pubs all on the one road, my family were landlords of the Horse and Jockey , sadly no more!! macca,s has pride of place,warrington has nothing to offer, the new home of the Wolves is a shocker, my old Wire team mates gerry Helme,harry Bath would turn over in the graves if they experienced wilderspool today. sadly warrington is on its way out soon to be absorbed into halewood and salford,will stick with sunny toowoomba

toady

Old-Salt
So, my source tells me that Comd BFG held a meeting, or series of meetings, in Bielefeld and Sennelager today.

Situation is that HQ BFG and formed units will still close / rebase / disband as planned.

Isodets, think Ramstein etc, will remain as planned.

Barracks in Gütersloh, Bielefeld and Paderborn will close as planned.

Due to change in requirements, decision made to keep Sennelager training area, Normandy and Athlone Bks in Sennelager as well as vehicle storage in MG and ammo area in Wulfen.

In addition, M3 bridging unit to stay in Germany (binational with Germans in Minden).

Plans continue about how this will be provided, but all LEC staff notices (to end of 2019) still in place and valid.

As a former LEC in JHQ, i'm still interested in what's happening to the rest of BFG. So thanks for the post toady.
PS. Just read your links and what was somewhat amused, yesterday on German TV there was a report about the go ahead for turning the Sennelager Training Area into a National Park. According to youl link it would appear that somebody jumped the gun. Oh dear.

I couldn't really understand the need for a large vehicle facility remaining in MG. Apparently it's because there's no room for anything in the UK. Ludgershall is being redeveloped as SMQs and Ashchurch is going. I don't think that there's going to be such thing as a CVD left in the UK.

Now that rebasing to the UK is almost complete, can anyone explain to me the logistic sense in any of this?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I couldn't really understand the need for a large vehicle facility remaining in MG. Apparently it's because there's no room for anything in the UK. Ludgershall is being redeveloped as SMQs and Ashchurch is going. I don't think that there's going to be such thing as a CVD left in the UK.

Now that rebasing to the UK is almost complete, can anyone explain to me the logistic sense in any of this?
Probably cheaper than carting it all over here and then back again when WW3 kicks off.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

The logistics are quite simple really. ABS has excellent road and rail links and regularly received and despatched vehicles and equipment to ports, trg areas etc by both road and rail. In fact a few up-armoured warriors were sent by road to an airport so they could be flown to point of need.

The army won't ever need it's heavy armour in the UK (unless we are under threat of invasion), the UK will only ever use it (hopefully) overseas.

In addition to this ......I've heard a rumour that the doors of the climate controlled hangers in the UK are not wide enough to take a Challenger. Can any arrsers confirm this?

The army won't ever need it's heavy armour in the UK (unless we are under threat of invasion), the UK will only ever use it (hopefully) overseas
So, the plan is to separate the people who are required to operate and maintain the assets from the assets themselves?

Will the RAC and REME units involved be sitting at home in Blighty twiddling their thumbs waiting for their turn to play with a small pool of training assets in Bovvy?

Not sure if that is the plan, but it makes absolutely no sense to have a fleet of armoured vehicles (that the army will only ever use overseas) in the UK. Better to keep them where you'll need them and, as dun_n_dusted mentioned, MG has excellent transport links.

In addition, the only place in the UK troops can fire off 120mm rounds (...or even 30mm rounds of a warrior for that matter) is Castle Martin. In Germany there are half a dozen options.

Personally, I consider the draw down from Germany a very bad decision that we will regret at some stage. But I understand why it was made.

Latest Threads