Germany to close over the next 15 years.

Are all UK forces out of Germany yet?
Your question.
The answer:
QDG in Athlone. 5 Rifles left last year - they were in Alanbrooke (or was it the year before). Barker still has REME, RE, and PWRR in it. Med Regt in Dempsey, Normandy has the range lot, station QM and HQ 20x etc. RA still in Mansergh along with the remaining secondary school and a primary.

Very true, Rochdale isn't huge, but has a Civ Wksp and a few other bits and bobs in there.

Suspect more detail to follow when the NCSR is released later this year if they are going to keep some form of presence in Germany other than the ISODETs and Adv Trg outfit in Bavaria.

toady

Old-Salt
I think there might be some RAF legal branch around, but not 100% sure. There are some RAF exchange posts in various non-BFG locations, and probably an RAF officer or two in HQ 20x.

QDG in Athlone. 5 Rifles left last year - they were in Alanbrooke (or was it the year before). Barker still has REME, RE, and PWRR in it. Med Regt in Dempsey, Normandy has the range lot, station QM and HQ 20x etc. RA still in Mansergh along with the remaining secondary school and a primary.

Very true, Rochdale isn't huge, but has a Civ Wksp and a few other bits and bobs in there.

Suspect more detail to follow when the NCSR is released later this year if they are going to keep some form of presence in Germany other than the ISODETs and Adv Trg outfit in Bavaria.
I was in the Old Rochdale Barracks on Meissenstrasse, when it was home to 64 Ordnance Company and 54 Security Section. The current Rochdale Barracks on Oldentruperstrasse, used to be called Mossbank Barracks, and was home to 1 (Corps Troops) Workshop REME and 20 Electronics Workshop REME when I lived in the Sgts Mess there (1988-1993).

I think they retained the name Rochdale, because it was twinned with Bielefeld.

I think there might be some RAF legal branch around, but not 100% sure. There are some RAF exchange posts in various non-BFG locations, and probably an RAF officer or two in HQ 20x.
The legal eagles used to be in JHQ for decades and then went to Herford, possibly Wentworth Bks. If they are still in BFG, then my bets would be on Catterick Bks. However bearing in mind the extremely small RAF presence in Germany it may be that ALA has taken over, leaving DDLS to dissolve in thin air. But the jobs for the boys factor cannot be forgotten either.

Royal Engineers from Hameln moved A Sqn to Minden Rodenbeck, to be welcomed with open arms by the german population,the inlaws reckon that when all the barracks closed down ,40% of the kneipen and nearly all of the schnellenbisses closed down,german language is not much use in minden these days, russian and turkisch are the local languages

Oops. Showing my age and mixing up units. QRH is in Athlone currently. I think!
They are. QDG returned to UK I believe, possibility Cardif? I may be wrong though.

Edit to add, they are in Swanton Morley, Norfolk, the exact opposite side of the country to Cardif!!

MB

They are. QDG returned to UK I believe, possibility Cardif? I may be wrong though.

Edit to add, they are in Swanton Morley, Norfolk, the exact opposite side of the country to Cardif!!
Welsh Cavalry - couldn't have them in Wales! That would be like having all the SCOTS in Scotland, or the YORKS in Yorkshire.

God forbid soldiers were able to get home for a weekend without paying through the nose for petrol or public transport.

Any major agreements/backtracking on the withdrawal from Germany announcements of 2010 will need Parliamentary endorsement.
That’s not to say it won’t happen and I reckon there will be a significant statement in the HOC in the coming months.
Anyone fancy going into business with a mobile schnell imbiss van, based around STA?! :smile:

I was led to believe that PRB was now home to thousands of "Scientists and Doctors" from the Middle East and Africa.

Bet the locals are thrilled.

Welsh Cavalry - couldn't have them in Wales! That would be like having all the SCOTS in Scotland, or the YORKS in Yorkshire.

God forbid soldiers were able to get home for a weekend without paying through the nose for petrol or public transport.
When I joined up, I wanted to be as far away from home as possible!

Today’s seem to overly want exercises/AT etc as exotic as possible, but as easy access home on weekends as they can.
I know it’s a different Army nowadays (as many on here never tire of reminding us old and bold), but I personally don’t understand why anyone would volunteer to join a full time, professional Army and then want to return to home base as often as they can.

The big building in Andover seem to be rather sure of us not leaving in the near or distant future.
The main man said as much last week in his RUSI speech.

I personally don’t understand why anyone would volunteer to join a full time, professional Army and then want to return to home base as often as they can.
Then you don't understand the army I joined in the 1970s. If they weren't on tour (which meant Ulster) Toms didn't want to spend their weekends in Catterick - they wanted home, fambly'n'friendz.

And who's to blame them?

It wasn't as if the officer corps behaved any differently.

Then you don't understand the army I joined in the 1970s. If they weren't on tour (which meant Ulster) Toms didn't want to spend their weekends in Catterick - they wanted home, fambly'n'friendz.

And who's to blame them?

They obviously came from decent places back home.

I, and many people I knew, spent a considerable time of leave away from 'home'.

And who's to blame them?

I joined the same Army in the early 70s, so I do understand. That was in the days when Tp Sgts would ‘encourage’ you to write home and checked to make sure you did so!
I knew a significant number of colleagues who were quite happy to spend their leave with friends or anywhere else as long as it wasn’t home.
For what it’s worth, I got on really well with my parents, but once I joined up, I didn’t feel the need to head off home at every opportunity.
If I’d wanted to get home on a regular basis I would have chosen to go down the pit, or applied for a job at Sellafield.
I accept it is a totally different Army nowadays, it is predominantly home based and every squaddie has a car, but I still don’t get the urge to bomb burst home at every opportunity (unless it’s the only way to empty sacks etc!). :smile:

Last edited:

Latest Threads