Germany to britian

Discussion in 'Travel' started by ohbugger2007, Jun 13, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. rite i have no idea if this belongs here so....

im joining the rac i may be based in germany how do i get home cuzz i have no car :(
  2. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Buy a car then?

You are entitled to fly home on leave a set amount of times per year (a clerky type person will be able to clarify correct entitlement).

Just a thought - how many times a year do you envisage wanting to get home? Germany isn't somewhere you can just bomb home from every weekend you know!
  3. spent about 14 years there altogether. You will find out that there are loads of single lads travel back in cars together. When I was in Osnabruck last time lots of them came back most weekends. If your straight out of training dont go and buy yourself a tax free new car straight away or you could find yourself getting in financial probs, wait a while and get a cheap car.
    There are also bus services that take you to the ports and Berlin airways have cheap weekend sites. Might be advisable to phone the hive at the place your going and ask for info pack.

edited to say
    ps fugly when I was in Traz last a lot of the singlies do it most weekends, unlike the late 80's/90's when we spent the weekends in Holland and Berlin
  4. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Jesus Iron!!

I was in Dortmund, did the weekend thing a couple of times and it bloody well killed me every time - didn't catch up on sleep till about Wednesday!
  5. JPA rules have changed the flight entitlement? Check with your clerks.
  6. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

Good call.

Travel entitlements for leave used to cease once you crossed the 9 year point, so I haven't been able to claim for leave travel for a while! Has JPA changed this?
  7. Not sure but different people attract different rules (I think) but you may be entitled to claim the price of a flight annually (works out around 120 pound) no matter how you travel or the actual cost of the ferry/tunnel + fuel. But check with the pay office.
  8. You're Cornish...aren't you?
  9. r u mad i aint cornish im from nottingham

i dont do cornish but a pretty good accent
  10. If you're wanting to get home every opportunity , get a life and see some of germany , holland , czech republic (pragues supposed to be a good weekend away)

You will find theres plenty of your mates doing the Dover Dash tho , a real pain depending on which Garrison you're in tho , Hohnes a real trek to the German/Dutch Border itself , 7 hours ( any one with any quicker times??)

Lots of airports near all Garrison towns tho, should be able to get a flight to Notts somewhere down the line, just Google your flights from there.
  11. Yes it is an excellent place to go for a weekend-cheap beer and stunning women! Why go home when you can see all the best that Europe has to offer??
  12. There are loads of cheap flights with budget airlines these days. Easyjet and Ryanair are the two main brit ones i used, I often used the german ones too though, have a look at HLX and German wings for good deals. As for driving, fcuk that! Takes too long, buy a cheap car to use whilst you are in germany and save some money, then buy a tax free one when you leave.
  13. True get out and see germany,
  14. If your near Osnabruck check out air berlin they fly daily from Munster/Osnabruck airport (FMO) straight into stanstead. But I would advise you to explore a little, like others have said on here! Everything is cheaper on the continent and there is so much to learn/see/do that'll you'll kick yourself later if you decide to just go home every leave.
  15. I'm off to Germany next weekend! I can't wait, and I don't plan on coming home all the time, I picked a regiment in Germany for a reason and I plan to make the most of it.