Germany Medal

What does everyone think of this?:

http://www.awardmedals.com/british-forces-germany-full-size-medal-p-681.html?cPath=21_33

It is just a shame that our glorious goverment doesn't see fit to reward the service of those of us who protected the continent along the IGB. Thousands of British troops served there and the USSR would have had a free hand without us. Conditions could be arduous (SOLTAU ANYONE??) and the potential THREAT was high. I think recognition for our sacrifice is long OVERDUE. This medal could go some way to soothing hurt feelings of thousands of BAOR vets.

Bling! however I sometimes think there should have been some form of recognition for BAOR/BFG

I think it's a shame that the head of the linked page states "Product not found".
Maybe two and a half years ago, there was something there.

Oh, and you can poke your Germany medal unless there's also an Italy one. And a Canada one. In fact, how about one for each continent with bars for the individual locations.

...Snipped because I don't want any one else to read it...Conditions could be arduous (SOLTAU ANYONE??)
I agree, Wolfgangs bratties were a bastard.

This medal could go some way to soothing hurt feelings of thousands of BAOR vets.
Christ on a fucking stick, I never realised that there were so many vets in BAOR. I served over 10 years from 1977 and didn't meet one. Mind you I wasn't a dog handler, so that probably accounts for that anomaly.

Seriously though.

Take your 'Germany Medal' and stick it up your arrse.

How about the Deep Frozen Todger medal ,for winter service in Vogelsang, The Rampenloch medal for service in Minden

What do I think?

I think it’s a stupid idea.

If you look at history it becomes obvious that as NATO believed that the Warsaw Pack MAY attack the West, the Soviets’ firmly believed that NATO WOULD attack the East. Clearly putting the West as the aggressors.

Now, as the aggressors didn’t attack, it could be said that the defenders actually won the Cold War, in other words we (NATO) lost.

The fact that Communism failed and it eventually lead to the breakup of the Warsaw is a side issue because by that time they had stayed off the aggressors. Just look at the incident in Sep 1983.

So in short you want a medal for loosing a war whilst getting tax free fuel, fags, booze and cars.

We award medals for campaigns and Operations not postings!

I think if the 5th Guards or 3rd Shock had rolled over the IGB a medal might have been warranted, although there's a chance we'd be debating the point using the medium of cave painting. Us BAOR types got our jollies in NI and are suitably adorned for our service there.

A 'Germany' medal would be something like being presented with a cheap watch, for services rendered; thanks and goodbye. I think I'd rather see the cash such a pointless gesture would cost going to Headley Court. Anyway, those of us of a 'Medal Lite' persuasion won't have to wring our hands in inadequate desperation for much longer: This generation of soldiers are going to be the last to be sent anywhere worthy of commemoration for a while.

What do I think?

If you look at history it becomes obvious that as NATO believed that the Warsaw Pack MAY attack the West, the Soviets’ firmly believed that NATO WOULD attack the East. Clearly putting the West as the aggressors.

Now, as the aggressors didn’t attack, it could be said that the defenders actually won the Cold War, in other words we (NATO) lost.

The fact that Communism failed and it eventually lead to the breakup of the Warsaw is a side issue because by that time they had stayed off the aggressors. Just look at the incident in Sep 1983.

So in short you want a medal for loosing a war whilst getting tax free fuel, fags, booze and cars.

We award medals for campaigns and Operations not postings!
Just a minute...

I advanced to positions 80 miles behind the enemy front line (one or two others did too). I don't recall the Soviets making a similar foray.

Most of the blokes who made their Army career by staying in BAOR are recognised by the government. Their names are listed on the liver transplant register.

The gopping no medals, alcoholic cunts.

What do I think?

What a strange argument: So if I believed the Sovs were going to attack, I won the war too? The fact is that all our exercises seemed to be based on stemming a Warsaw Pact attack long enough to light the fuse on the big bomb.

Latest Threads